IPad dilemma

For me, the Mini is perfect mounted on the yoke.  I use a RAM mount and can swivel it from vertical to horizontal and back.  But it's too small to be comfortable for casual reading, book, magazines, etc.  I'll probably get a full size iPad Air at the EOY sales.  I'll have it as a back up in the cockpit, but the mini will still be primary on the yoke.

Typical of the way I generally do things, I bought a full size IPad only a short time before Apple came out with the Mini. The full size one is really too large.

Being a CB, I can't bring myself to essentially toss a barely used IPad and buy an Mini.

Is there any segment of society which would prefer the larger one, where one could find someone to work a swap.

I don't mind losing some to get what I really want, but the spread between what a maxi will sell for on Ebay and what you have to pay for a new Mini is pretty big. And I'm afraid of what I might run into buying a mini from Ebay, Craigs List or the like.

Don,

I would use it! I have a full sized iPad retina display that i fly with all of the time. It is mounted on my co-pilot yoke and angled towards me with a yoke mount. It is perfect and doesnt block any of my instruments.. I looked at an ipad mini, and even right in front of you, its a bit small, and i like the size of the regular iPad for general non-aviation use. So i would keep the full sized one if i were you. So far, none of my right seat passengers have complained about having an ipad in front of them angled for me to see it.

Fix didn't work. 

I feel like an idiot. Dropped my iPad2 for the first time in 3 years yesterday. And it broke. Screen is green and wavy. The kiosk at the local mall says they can fix it for about $139, as long as they don't break the glass as they remove it to replace the broken component. If they crack the screen, that too has to be replaced, increasing the cost to $250. At that point, I'll just buy the mini with the GPS chip.

Will probably buy the mini next month anyway during the Black Friday sales.

-Seth

Fix didn't work.  They didn't charge me.  I'm borrowing my brother's original iPad Mini and on Black Friday will get the Mini Renta but not the 3, which simply adds the fingerprint/Touch ID.  That's the iPad Mini 2, with 32 GB as I kept my first iPad for 3 years and I'm sure apps and data will get bigger.  I'm getting the cellular one with the GPS chip, so . . . the apple website price to beat is $479.  Black Friday deals here we come. 

Does anyone suggest a unit other than the Cellular iPad Mini 2 32GB?

Thanks!

-Seth

Seth - I have 64 Gb versions of the Mini and Air. Even on the Mini that I consider my "aviation only" device, I only have 15 GB left on it. Might want to make the jump up in memory.

In addition to Garmin Pilot, I have the fltplan go app. Both of them are memory piggies.

Seth - I have 64 Gb versions of the Mini and Air. Even on the Mini that I consider my "aviation only" device, I only have 15 GB left on it. Might want to make the jump up in memory.

In addition to Garmin Pilot, I have the fltplan go app. Both of them are memory piggies.

I have 32GB mini, with both above, but really only use Pilot, with IFR subscription I still have 15 GB left, but I don't install all the charts, but have all flitecharts, the low level IFR, terrain, most of the VFR, all Conus.

Pilot reports using 3+ GB

Mine is the full works 128Gb model with cellular capability. It is a tool for work and I no longer use paper for audits, assessments, or international peer body evaluations.  I will probably not buy a tablet for at least 4 years because it will take that long to create something I may need beyond this one.

While I am away from home (too much these days) it is my Skype platform to help keep the home fires burning.  (Hey! Way better than military deployments where we looked forward to a letter every two weeks or a 10 minute phone call every week - and I was Signal Corps!!)

For my flight needs it contains my Foreflight (combined US and Cdn subscription with geo referenced plates), my electronic E-6B, my weather tools, and my Stratus 2 connectivity for in-cockpit weather (although the ADS-B sourcing is not as good as XM weather) as well as all the manuals for my aircraft and installed equipments.  It even has my checklist, but I prefer to use a paper copy for that - it can be handed to the right seat person and we do it together.

In the cockpit, I gave up the kneeboard option of my original iPad (AVPAD) and mounted it on the yolk.  I pulled the BK AV8OR off the glare shield and I now have the approach plates up higher on the yolk, instead of on my knee.  This solution combines my situational awareness tool (AV8OR) and my flight planning tool (iPad w/Foreflight) so that I am not reaching to change the settings on two instruments when in IMC.  The only thing it hides are the three switches closest to the yolk.......Bcn Light, Nav Lights, Ldg Light and I am used to checking those by feel anyway.  I now have only one cable going into the cigar lighter USB connector on the panel (the Stratus is not connected because I keep it recharged at home).  

The yolk mount is the RAM one in the picture below that I bought at Oshkosh this year.  On a side note, I still use the AV8OR as a land GPS.

post-7155-0-44529600-1414167175.jpg

• 9 months later...

Does anyone use the Ipad with just the internal GPS chip? Foreflight says it is sufficient on flights slower than 200mph and up to 12,000feet. I was just wondering if that is what you see or if the signal isn't stable enough and should get an external GPS (bad elf or something else) as well. I'm not ready to drop the money on a stratus yet till the come out with the 3. 

Does anyone use the Ipad with just the internal GPS chip? Foreflight says it is sufficient on flights slower than 200mph and up to 12,000feet. I was just wondering if that is what you see or if the signal isn't stable enough and should get an external GPS (bad elf or something else) as well. I'm not ready to drop the money on a stratus yet till the come out with the 3. 

For fun I've used it on commercial flights RJs usually work well Airbuses do too - most of the 7x7s dont

kind of neat to see the gps altitude and cabin altitude.

The real benefit is the ADS B stuff you get with the stratus but without it the internal works good.

I carry a mini 1, an iPad 1 and an air2. The mini is the perfect size. The ipad1 had a battery that lasts forever and the screen is really the minimum size for using an approach plate on a real ifr flight. The air2 is a work machine but I have wingx on it and travel with r for a backup or for planning ga fights while I'm at work.

I also have wingx on my iPhone 6 and I have an aera in a panel dock plus a kln-89b. You can say I'm a belt and suspenders guy but yet I still don't have a GPS I can shoot approaches with.

XCR...

The advantage of the external devices.

-WAAS accuracy is nice for measuring actual T/O and landing distances with accuracy.

-remote antenna keeps up reception while the iPad is low out of the sun.

-ADSB provides weather and traffic.

-wifi simplicity

Four reasons I appreciate the external antenna of the old skyradar...

Best regards,

-a-

My old Samsung Galaxy tablet, running (free) Avare, works very well off of its internal antenna. Close enough to shoot an approach? No idea, that's what the G430W is for. Tablets are great for planning,and can be useful in the air, but I won't depend on anything that runs on a non-replaceable internal battery.