LED landing & taxi light GE 4509 1/2 cost consideration

RocketAviator

May just be me but for 26 I would be inclined to get one of the less expensive LED and see if it is adequate.... One other possibility is get one of the Grote and the 26 bulb and compare...  Not sure if either supplier would allow you to return the one you don't use.  Just a thought.  If you do let the rest of us know what you learn.

Met up with a fellow Mooniac at the avionics shop last night and we shared a meal and great conversations so it gave me a chance to use mine again last night for the short 1hr flight back and they were great, I really like the white lite, I think I am going to consider extending ie raise the light direction up on the spot to I can see farther down the runway but before I do that i want to try a few more night landings at different approach angles.  I typically like to have a steeper approach in visual conditions than say when i am on a much shallower ILS or GPS approach.

Fly safe,

I did some further research into both lights and I think I am convinced with the more expensive one. The 26 dollar one claims to be just a bit brighter than its incandecent counterpart. The Trilliant has a nice video that sold me on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z82iDigpI9s

I did some further research into both lights and I think I am convinced with the more expensive one. The 26 dollar one claims to be just a bit brighter than its incandecent counterpart. The Trilliant has a nice video that sold me on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z82iDigpI9s

That is a great video.  If the hammer can't break it, hopefully our vibrations won't!

-Seth

After purchasing a PAR36 a buddy of mine told me the what I should have ordered was a PAR46. Can someone shed some light on what the difference between the two? My 68C only has one landing light. Maybe I can send the one on its way and get the correct size but need to know for sure about the difference.

Check the parts catalog or use a tape measure, the difference is obvious when you look at it

Lol! That would be easy if the airplane was close to my house. I could ask the mechanic doing the annual on monday but I was wondering if anyone knew so that I can place an order ASAP. I will try to see if I can come accross a parts manual. Thanks for the suggestion ;)

Thanks for the info Hank. Just ordered a Whelen PAR 46 from amazon for 130 (shipping included). I will post pictures with the differences as soon as I get it installed.

That's a great price! I paid $400+ to replace my Whelen belly flasher with LED, bought discounted at Sun n Fun 2011. So far I'm having good luck with my GE bulb but LED is on the horizon.

Are we really allowed to install parts like this without the aviation paperwork?  That PAR 46 LED from amazon for $130 looks very attractive:

http://www.amazon.com/Whelen-Engineering-PAR-46-Super-LED-Replacement/dp/B009LQG5S0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384734169&sr=8-1&keywords=Whelen+PAR+46

but am I allowed?

Ok I just installed a new lens cover and 4 Wheland PAR 36 lights (one taxi, and one landing on each wing), was just about to go do a night flight to let you all know about it and noticed that my taxi light rocker switch was broken and left taxi light inop. Grrrr!

The landing lights from the hangar wow.. look great.

• 2 weeks later...

Done! Ok I fley newly installed Wheland PAR 36 LED lights (2 taxi and 2 landing lights, one of each on each wing). As for the taxi lights, they are around 30-50% better than my old halogen ones, not as bright as I would like them to be, but the Landing lights are incredible. Can see lights on the runway from around 200 feet above and at 100 feet, it is fully lit. Clearly 1,000% better than the old ones. I tried it on a dark night on a smaller runway thats not well lit, and it was no problem. Since the power drain is so low with both of them, Ill leave my landing lights on when taxiing unless someone is in front of me, and its perfect.

• 5 months later...

Stupid question here but to change from a standard incandescent light to an LED is it only a bulb change or is there more of a conversion required? Also does anyone know the size required for a 77' J?

Your J should take a PAR 36; my C takes the larger PAR 46 bulb, about the size of the saucers I never use with my coffee cup. I think the "36" and "46" are the number of eighth-inches in the diameter, so PAR 36 should be 4½" across, and the PAR 46 should be 5¾" across. That sounds about right for mine; maybe it's the size of a salad plate?

• Like 1

Done! Ok I fley newly installed Wheland PAR 36 LED lights (2 taxi and 2 landing lights, one of each on each wing). As for the taxi lights, they are around 30-50% better than my old halogen ones, not as bright as I would like them to be, but the Landing lights are incredible. Can see lights on the runway from around 200 feet above and at 100 feet, it is fully lit. Clearly 1,000% better than the old ones. I tried it on a dark night on a smaller runway thats not well lit, and it was no problem. Since the power drain is so low with both of them, Ill leave my landing lights on when taxiing unless someone is in front of me, and its perfect.

I have this style also, thx for the feedback

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is by no means the total scope of installation, regulation and FAA acceptance but it goes a long way to allowing LED bulb replacement. Unfortunately there is no date on the letter but if you search PS-ACE-100-2010-003 you will find it had it's final approval last year 2013.

See attached.

PS-ACE-100-2010-003.pdf

Found these LED lights while doing research for LED landing light options based on a Brand X aviation Forum...

WOW side by side they are at least 3 times brighter than the GE 4509.  They come it two versions Spot / Wide angle... ie Landing & Taxi.  Installed both to test...  All I can say is WOW!  Paid $110 each factory new from factory online dealer, had them shipped in 2nd day for less than the cost of one Aircraft Spruce Whelin LED unit.

Talk about bright....

Also you can interchange the lens if you want to go from wide angle to spot or vise versa... 

One drawback if it is a drawback at all, is I cant check it and tell when it is on by watching the AMP draw...

Dont know if I will keep them installed or not because I don't know the legality of using them.  When I talked to the factory they stated they are an "exact replacement for the PAR36 and brighter than the 4509" and they were!  Fit perfect took about 20 minutes to swap both.  NOTE, had to keep the longer screws from GE 4509 as in my case my bird has two bulbs and the eye terminal ends are double stacked, requiring an easier fit with the longer GE 4509 screws.  The others would have worked just easier with the slightly longer screws.

Another thing I like is they are a well know very long time successful US company GROTE.   They appear to be very well built, heavy with excellent heat sink die cast housing... The most important part of any LED bulb.   Something like 11 - 30 VDC if I recall correctly.  They are specifically designed and targeted for extreme service on earth and heavy equipment and tractor service..

Just thought I would share, any feedback on the legality of using them would be appreciated. 

Found these LED lights while doing research for LED landing light options based on a Brand X aviation Forum...

WOW side by side they are at least 3 times brighter than the GE 4509.  They come it two versions Spot / Wide angle... ie Landing & Taxi.  Installed both to test...  All I can say is WOW!  Paid $110 each factory new from factory online dealer, had them shipped in 2nd day for less than the cost of one Aircraft Spruce Whelin LED unit.

Talk about bright....

Also you can interchange the lens if you want to go from wide angle to spot or vise versa... 

One drawback if it is a drawback at all, is I cant check it and tell when it is on by watching the AMP draw...

Dont know if I will keep them installed or not because I don't know the legality of using them.  When I talked to the factory they stated they are an "exact replacement for the PAR36 and brighter than the 4509" and they were!  Fit perfect took about 20 minutes to swap both.  NOTE, had to keep the longer screws from GE 4509 as in my case my bird has two bulbs and the eye terminal ends are double stacked, requiring an easier fit with the longer GE 4509 screws.  The others would have worked just easier with the slightly longer screws.

Another thing I like is they are a well know very long time successful US company GROTE.   They appear to be very well built, heavy with excellent heat sink die cast housing... The most important part of any LED bulb.   Something like 11 - 30 VDC if I recall correctly.  They are specifically designed and targeted for extreme service on earth and heavy equipment and tractor service..

Just thought I would share, any feedback on the legality of using them would be appreciated. 

They are not legal. You need a PMA to manufacture and offer replacement parts for TC'd aircraft. Yes even for the lowly 4509 GE lamp. Which, by the way, is produced under an FAA PMA by GE. 

Are we really allowed to install parts like this without the aviation paperwork?  That PAR 46 LED from amazon for $130 looks very attractive:

http://www.amazon.com/Whelen-Engineering-PAR-46-Super-LED-Replacement/dp/B009LQG5S0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384734169&sr=8-1&keywords=Whelen+PAR+46

but am I allowed?

but am I allowed?

No. This lamp is not part of the PMA'd or STC'd Whelen aviation lamp series.

The best lamp right now is the Teledyne Alphabeam. It has width and depth, is brighter than the Whelen LED, and is the best option if you are not ready to drop $500+ on an HID.