LED landing & taxi light GE 4509 1/2 cost consideration

RocketAviator

Found these LED lights while doing research for LED landing light options based on a Brand X aviation Forum...

WOW side by side they are at least 3 times brighter than the GE 4509.  They come it two versions Spot / Wide angle... ie Landing & Taxi.  Installed both to test...  All I can say is WOW!  Paid $110 each factory new from factory online dealer, had them shipped in 2nd day for less than the cost of one Aircraft Spruce Whelin LED unit.

Talk about bright....

Also you can interchange the lens if you want to go from wide angle to spot or vise versa... 

One drawback if it is a drawback at all, is I cant check it and tell when it is on by watching the AMP draw...

Dont know if I will keep them installed or not because I don't know the legality of using them.  When I talked to the factory they stated they are an "exact replacement for the PAR36 and brighter than the 4509" and they were!  Fit perfect took about 20 minutes to swap both.  NOTE, had to keep the longer screws from GE 4509 as in my case my bird has two bulbs and the eye terminal ends are double stacked, requiring an easier fit with the longer GE 4509 screws.  The others would have worked just easier with the slightly longer screws.

Another thing I like is they are a well know very long time successful US company GROTE.   They appear to be very well built, heavy with excellent heat sink die cast housing... The most important part of any LED bulb.   Something like 11 - 30 VDC if I recall correctly.  They are specifically designed and targeted for extreme service on earth and heavy equipment and tractor service..

Just thought I would share, any feedback on the legality of using them would be appreciated. 

post-11320-0-20631800-1380979755_thumb.j

• Like 1

I installed 2 Whelan LEDs from Needlights.com through Amazon on the advice of DrBill. See a recent thread. The Whelans were 1/2 the cost of the A.Spruce ones since they are "automotive" ~ $315 for 2 with frt. Higher than yours but nice. 

My A&P/IA assured me there is no issue re legality for light bulbs. I think DrBill's mechanic says the same. I'm not seeking a third opinion.

2 bulbs draw 3 AMPs on my 12V bird, 1/2 that if you're 24V.

• Like 2

Do you mind sharing the online retailer's website with those that may be interested, Lacee

I Google Grote 63821-5

http://beveragetruckparts.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&q=63821-5

BevTruckParts.png

$110.34 each plus shipping is what they charged me.

They sound great and the price is definitely great (I paid $260 for one basic Whelan PAR46 light) but if these aren't STC'ed or PMA'ed I don't think my mechanic would sign off on them.

Anyone else have this concern?

I did not ask I just installed them!  Although I used his shop while he watched and said WOW they are bright.... when I tested the LED side by side with the one remaining 4509 that was still working!  Check the reply above regarding legal... I like it but then again that does not make it so...  Worth it for me at this point.... we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

I am VERY interested in this topic, as LED lights are on my next wish list for landing and taxi and interior lights.  As my current lights barely light a runway even when I am around 5-10 feet above it, I have my sights set on Whelan Super LED lights http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/whelen462l.php which look great on paper, and these im looking at have 6 extra LED elements in it compared to the other LED lights. Im wondering if these can be too bright? Well anything more would be a huge step forward, so Im interested in anyones opinion on LED lights, good or bad. Thanks!

I am VERY interested in this topic, as LED lights are on my next wish list for landing and taxi and interior lights.  As my current lights barely light a runway even when I am around 5-10 feet above it, I have my sights set on Whelan Super LED lights http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/whelen462l.php which look great on paper, and these im looking at have 6 extra LED elements in it compared to the other LED lights. Im wondering if these can be too bright? Well anything more would be a huge step forward, so Im interested in anyones opinion on LED lights, good or bad. Thanks!

John, while I don't have any experience with the Whelan, the ones I installed are incredibly bright (in the order of 2 or more times that of the GE bulbs) and in my case since my Rocket holds 2 bulbs I choose to install one wide angle (Taxi if you will) and one spot (landing), between the two of them the whole runway in front of me lights up....  I also like the white light compared to the softer yellow light that the old incandescent bulbs produced.  In my line of work I use a lot of LED lighting and doing some research I came across a link in another aircraft forum to some LED bulbs from tractor supply which eventually led me to this manufacturer, I was trying to save $ without compromising quality and performance, it was somewhat of a test for me, if it did not work out I would have just put incandescent back in or gone with a known brand like Whelan. Good luck and let us know what you come up with, would be great to get more info, wish I could compare side by side with the Whelan sometime.

John, while I don't have any experience with the Whelan, the ones I installed are incredibly bright (in the order of 2 or more times that of the GE bulbs) and in my case since my Rocket holds 2 bulbs I choose to install one wide angle (Taxi if you will) and one spot (landing), between the two of them the whole runway in front of me lights up....  I also like the white light compared to the softer yellow light that the old incandescent bulbs produced.  In my line of work I use a lot of LED lighting and doing some research I came across a link in another aircraft forum to some LED bulbs from tractor supply which eventually led me to this manufacturer, I was trying to save $ without compromising quality and performance, it was somewhat of a test for me, if it did not work out I would have just put incandescent back in or gone with a known brand like Whelan. Good luck and let us know what you come up with, would be great to get more info, wish I could compare side by side with the Whelan sometime.

Thanks Lacee, you bring up a question though. I have two bulbs on each mid wing (one landing and one taxi on each wing). If I bought two spot LEDs for my landing lights, would it get two circles on the runway? Was your configuration spot bulb on left side and flood on right? I'm thinking I might do the full Monty and replace both landing lights with spots, and both taxi lights with floods, then if I get runway circles with the landing lights, I'll just also turn on my taxi lights on landings. So I'm debating, one spot on left and the rest floods, or two spots and two floods.

Thanks Lacee, you bring up a question though. I have two bulbs on each mid wing (one landing and one taxi on each wing). If I bought two spot LEDs for my landing lights, would it get two circles on the runway? Was your configuration spot bulb on left side and flood on right? I'm thinking I might do the full Monty and replace both landing lights with spots, and both taxi lights with floods, then if I get runway circles with the landing lights, I'll just also turn on my taxi lights on landings. So I'm debating, one spot on left and the rest floods, or two spots and two floods.

John I have the Rocket both bulbs in the front cowl, I believe you have the TLS Bravo with a wing light on each side. One good thing about the Grote bulbs I used is that you can change just the lens and go from Spot to Flood or the other way by just purchasing the lens!  So you could purchase both options and see which works best for significantly less cost than 4 bulbs  if you preferred.  If you go with LED of any kind let us know what and how it works.

Good luck,

Fly safe.

They sound great and the price is definitely great (I paid $260 for one basic Whelan PAR46 light) but if these aren't STC'ed or PMA'ed I don't think my mechanic would sign off on them.

Anyone else have this concern?

not in the least  I am legal to replace the bulb myself.

PHOTO LEFT WING 250W GE VS RIGHT WING GROTE LED, TAXI LIGHT

Cabanaboy, Great comparison.  Is the 250W GE bulb teh 4509 bulb?  The Left GE bulbs looks to be more focused and penetrating for longer distance viewing.  Any thoughts on comparing the GE to the Grote Spot (Landing light).  When we compared the 4509 GE to the Grote we found the Grote to be much brighter so I would be interested in knowing more.  Thanks again. 

Is an: GE 4596

28 volt, 250 watt, PAR 36

the GE really lit up much further, kinda like a spot light. The Grote seemed like a flood and shorter beam length.

No power draw on the LED and the GE was a big draw off the battery AMP meter.

Thanks for the input, I believe we saw the same general results when comparing the Grote Taxi to the incandescent GE bulb but when we compared the spot to the GE the Grote was brighter, however it was a white lite compared to the softer yellowish lite GE.  At least this was our take on what we compared.  Another thing was we have both lights mounted within a couple inches from each other for our comparison.  Also our GE 4509 was only 100W and I am sure that would make a significant difference compared to your 250 watt.  Again I don't have a dog in this race, just appreciative of the feedback.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I think I might be convinced about getting the GROTE but I found another light that seems to be similar at only 25 dollars. Can someone shedd some light before I commit to a purchase? Below is a link for both products that I am looking at:

GROTE:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grote-63821-5-Trilliant-36-LED-WhiteLight-Work-Lamp-TractorPlus-Light/251372907056?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D18058%26meid%3D2694132792904772236%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D8304%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D251350828771%26

The other:

http://www.amazon.com/PAR36-High-Power-Lamp-Bulb/dp/B007J6P1I4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1

Also, will either of these fit in a Mooney M20C?

Ok, so I think I might be convinced about getting the GROTE but I found another light that seems to be similar at only 25 dollars. Can someone shedd some light before I commit to a purchase? Below is a link for both products that I am looking at:

GROTE:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grote-63821-5-Trilliant-36-LED-WhiteLight-Work-Lamp-TractorPlus-Light/251372907056?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D18058%26meid%3D2694132792904772236%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D8304%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D251350828771%26

The other:

http://www.amazon.com/PAR36-High-Power-Lamp-Bulb/dp/B007J6P1I4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1

Also, will either of these fit in a Mooney M20C?

May just be me but for 26 I would be inclined to get one of the less expensive LED and see if it is adequate.... One other possibility is get one of the Grote and the 26 bulb and compare...  Not sure if either supplier would allow you to return the one you don't use.  Just a thought.  If you do let the rest of us know what you learn.

Met up with a fellow Mooniac at the avionics shop last night and we shared a meal and great conversations so it gave me a chance to use mine again last night for the short 1hr flight back and they were great, I really like the white lite, I think I am going to consider extending ie raise the light direction up on the spot to I can see farther down the runway but before I do that i want to try a few more night landings at different approach angles.  I typically like to have a steeper approach in visual conditions than say when i am on a much shallower ILS or GPS approach.

Fly safe,