Pirep on In ear headset

RocketAviator

I have a couple of the old LIghtspeed L1 in ear head sets (one went south) and they are no longer serviced or available from LightSpeed.  Looking for a couple new headsets.  Any input on Clarity or Quite Tech or any other would be appreciated.  Want to make a purchase this week if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Lacee

I purchased a Quiet Technologies Halo about a year ago and I wish I'd done so years ago.  Several friends have borrowed mine and then followed up with their own purchase to replace their ANC headsets.

I've never used a Clarity Aloft, but I have an acquaintance that flies with one and likes it as well.

Clarity Aloft appear to have somewhat more "ear-friendly" buds...have any of you guys with Halos tried to adapt the Clarity ear buds to the Halo headset?

Appear is the operative word.  The Halo's are extremely comfortable and are a little easier for me to insert.

I also have the Halo's and like them.  I do have to say that I had a set of the Zulu.2's for a while which I really liked also.  One of the downfalls of the Halo is the ear piece.  In the summer the ear pieces get hot and almost impossible to get in your ear as the foam gets SO mushy.  In the winter time it takes them quite a bit to expand.  However, once they are in place you forget that you have a headset on.  I do find that after about an hour my inner ear gets itchy from the ear inserts but not so much so that they are uncomfortable.  The noise reduction is awesome and much better than what you would think you would get without any ANR taking place.  They also hang very nicely on the hand mike if you still have that dinosaur hanging in your plane.

If you took the time to get custom made ear inserts they probably wouldn't offer the same noise reduction but would be a lot easier to contend with in the temperature swings.

post-7889-0-57932100-1376935617_thumb.jp

I've flown up to 6.5 hours with my Halos. Love them! I use the silicone inserts, just like the ones I used to wear at work.

CAUTION: You will try to get out of the plane without removing the Halos. This does not work!

• Like 1

I used to work with earplugs in all day. It took at least a day to get used to them the first time. The pay was worth it....

The pay in this case is really good understanding of what ATC said for a relatively low cost...

If you like the style of the higher cost headset, I would go with the bright yellow Halos. It's the only way anyone will see you using them.

-a-

Thanks to all, just talked to Phil (I believe he is he owner) at Quite Technologies and purchased a Halo set.  During the conversation I told him of the L1 Lightspeed sets I had, and that they were no longer available for sale or service from Lightspeed.... he said "no problem send it back to me we can fix it, they were my headset anyway"... so for $50 he will fix my old set... and I can have a spare!

Also just FYI he is a fellow Mooniac....

Only bad news is the Halo headset is on backorder 3 or 4 weeks Phil expects!!!!

• Like 1

I have the halo headset.  I like them a lot - but I must say - I tend to like my Bose X more.

I just sold my two Bose X sets.  I thought if the cost equated to comfort they would be great.... and they were good for sure but nothing like my in ear lightspeed...

I wear glasses and any conventional headset I have tried hurts my head after a couple hours of flying .... which I used to do!

Thanks to all, just talked to Phil (I believe he is he owner) ... so for $50 he will fix my old set... and I can have a spare!

Also just FYI he is a fellow Mooniac....

Only bad news is the Halo headset is on backorder 3 or 4 weeks Phil expects!!!!

Halos are worth waiting on.

Yes, Phil is a PhD audiologist and owner of Quiet Technologies. He flies an M20-B, and based on my phone conversations and meeting him at SNF, he's a great guy. You will soon have loaner headset for passengers . . . I recently wore my wife's DC set and was very uncomfortable.

• Like 1

CAUTION: You will try to get out of the plane without removing the Halos. This does not work!

That's been my experience a few times too. Forgot I was wearing them until I felt some resistance getting out.

One thing not mentioned here is that with the Halo's you can wear any pair of sunglasses without worrying about the temples digging into the side of your head and leaving a permanent indentation.

I can also wear any hat that I want--not just one of the few ballcaps without a button on top. They don't give much screen when the sun is off to the side and aft of the short sun visor.

Halos don't make my ears sweat or my head hurt, either. Sorry, I'm just a big fan!

I guess I am the only one who doesn't love my halos. They are fine - but I prefer my bose x.

That's okay, Erik. Remember, you are a unique individual, just like everybody else. :-) We'll keep letting you and the Bonanza pilot hang out anyway.