Its extra dough over an overhaul, but the PCU5000 is the latest and greatest, and brand new with warranty.

Mine just started puking oil, I sent it to Florida for an overhaul, got a phone call that it's scrap. PCU5000 on the way. Overhauls usually wind up over a grand, I got new one for 1500 and some change. It's an extra sting over an overhaul, but probably the better long term choice. Santa will be skipping me this year, but UPS will pick up the slack, UPS also dropped off a new cylinder, fresh autopilot servo and Insight G3 :D

I can't say what you should do, but I will caution you that my experience with my governor that I just had overhauled turned out to be $1300. The flat rate for overhaul IIRC was somewhere around $450, then there was a service bulletin that needed done, and shazam, there was a big bill. So when you're getting quotes for an overhaul, be forewarned that it will probably be much more than they tell you. If I had to do it over again, I think I would pop for the extra money and get something brand new. My opinion only!! Good Luck

The governor overhaul quote is like a cover charge at a bar. It will get you in the door, but won't pay for any drinks.

Our governor was 1300$. We were going to OH and convert ours to a new model number, but they said they have to do any service letters which means replacing the flyweights and most likely the pilot valve, which could run 2 grand in total. Instead, we did an overhaul/exhchange. Had I known about the PCU5000, I might have considered it.

Lou at http://www.flyingleafaviation.com/ installed the PCU 5000 and I can honestly say it is tremendously better than my previous governor. I have much better control over prop speed and it seems to respond to every twist of the prop control. I would highly recommend the PCU 5000 and Lou's work!