JPI 930

andrew

I've had my JPI 930 since March and have had nothing but good luck with it. The 930 is really at its best when you have a good GPS to tie into it. It gives you fuel required, mpg, total endurance, and fuel reserves. I also like it because after you program in min and max parameters during installation, it monitors them for you. One final feature is lean find for LOP or ROP ops.

• Like 1

Any PIREPs on the JPI 930? I'm considering it, I really like all the features it would add but still a bit hesitant about going digital primary. Has anyone installed this unit? Is it worth going primary over just the advisory nature of the 830?

The only reason to get the 930 is if you want to remove the older gauges from your panel. If you intend on keeping the older ones for redundancy, get the 830. The probes are the same between the two, so the data quality is no different. The 830 has the same LOP/ROP find functionality too...

I've had a 930 for about a year and 1/2. I'm very pleased with it. First, if you have an 830 w/ fuel flow, you will need 2 fuel flow transducers. That may restrict the air flow over the cylinders. Second, it will allow you to get rid of the Mooney oil pressure transducer system. I suggest you take the time to learn how to set-up the fuel guages yourself. The avionics shop charged me for 8 hrs of labor to do this, and didn't even get close. I took me a couple of flights and careful watch of my fuel flows to get it very accurate.

I've had a 930 for about a year and 1/2. I'm very pleased with it. First, if you have an 830 w/ fuel flow, you will need 2 fuel flow transducers. That may restrict the air flow over the cylinders. Second, it will allow you to get rid of the Mooney oil pressure transducer system. I suggest you take the time to learn how to set-up the fuel guages yourself. The avionics shop charged me for 8 hrs of labor to do this, and didn't even get close. I took me a couple of flights and careful watch of my fuel flows to get it very accurate.

You would only need a second FF transducer if you already had FF installed (op didn't mention model of mooney, but my M20J didn't have FF when I installed my 830). Even if you did need a second one, they are quite small; I'd be surprised if it effected anything under the cowling.

I 100% agree with you on the fuel flow settings. Fortunately it is simple to do on your own, with excellent directions on how to set it up in the JPI manual. Gives you something to toy with on a cross country!

The 830 is nice and compact, but not certified as a primary. The 930 has a big display and is certified as a primary. Both have the same fidelity of data, it's more of whether you want the larger display and to remove the original anolog gauges. I like the 930 installations I've seen with the new custom panels: a very clean look! You can't go wrong with either choice IMHO.

I also have one and it is great. The avionics shop that installed it suggested that we put it on the pilot's side panel where it would be in my instrument scan, and that has saved my bacon more than once. If anything goes wrong you are instantly aware of it, and you are not dealing with gauges and dials scattered all across the panel. On the original 231 the MP and RPM's were over on the right on the small angled piece of panel, most of the strip gauges for the engine were up under the glareshield where they were hard to see and not well lit. During takeoff in the 231 it is necessary to do some throttle management, so having to see the MP over on the far right, and watch the engine temps, was quite a feat. It is all in one place with the JPI, well lit, and very visible.

On the down side, I had an alternator failure not long ago and wound up switching off the Master in order to save the battery. I knew I would lose all the engine gauges when I did that, so set the engine up to stable and known good values before switching off. It worked out well. The same thing would happen with any electrical gauges though.

1MS came with an 800 which I upgraded to the 830 display. The description I read differentiating the 830 from the 930 is that the 930 has a factory annunciator and factory programmed limits for the primary functions. If I were doing a new-install and the cost to do the 930 over the non primary 830 was not too high, I'd go with the 930 even if I were not at that time removing the original ships gauges. The older gauges are getting expensive to repair / rebuild. Having the primary approved gauge keeps your options open for the future. When my original TIT failed the plane was grounded until we fixed it, as the 800 is not a primary TIT indicator. If I had a 930 I could have chosen to placard the original TIT and use the 930 TIT.

In my opinion the 800 with fuel flow had too many functions for the limited display. I did not like cycling through the display. I am much happier with the 830 display. I find the scan much better.

$4700 may be high but why don't you get some real quotes and see what you get. I got quotes from several shops and almost all of them quoted 60 hours to do the installation and configuration. Being that it replaces primary instruments, they gave to do additional work. Just the fuel gauges alone take tie.

Thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like there have been some great experiences with the JPI primary instruments. All of my original gauges are still operational and there is currently a 700 installed. I just wanted to pursue all the options for EDM solutions before committing to the upgrade in case I could figure out a way to justify the additional expense of digital primary engine indications. For now I'm just going to take advantage of JPI's upgrade program to move the 700 into an 830. It will be a couple thousand cheaper and provide a great deal of additional functionality.

The 900 is similarly priced to the 930. My guess is because they are both totally primary. The advantage of the 900 is its flexible install (i.e. 830 style landscape/portrait orientation and 3" hole.) I like this flexibility. What I don't like is the fact that the 900 is not glass like the 930. It is plastic like the 7/830!

Personally, for 5 grand, I think JPI can very easily put a piece of glass instead of a piece of plastic in the 900 display. Then we can talk! I don't want a glass panel with some plastic in it!