1962 M20C Gasolator

There's glass in there?

I've had mine appart at annuals on a 65C, but don't recall glass parts. Some rusty shaft parts..., Or did I misunderstand what you were asking about?

It's been awhile...

I was thinking the gascolator was the aluminum device, with a fuel screen in it beneath the floor with a plunger valve that allows water to drain from the fuel line to the ground. That's my memory...

Hope it was helpful or in the right direction...

Best regards,

-a-

Are you sure it is your gascolator? I had a similar situation in my 63C model where I thought the gascolator wasn't sealing properly. After extensive troubleshooting we found a crack in the top of the fuel line as it passes through the cockpit between the front of the wheel well and the fire wall and it was sucking air. The top of the line had rubbed on the cutout it passed through to the firewall.

If it definitely is the gascolator bowl, call Don Maxwell as he may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Years ago while flying my former M20A Mooney, I had an inflight engine stoppage. It was caused by a leaky fuel gascolator (the glass type). I was fortunate to be able to restart the plane by using the electric fuel boost pump. It happened at night while doing an instrument approach and I was near the outer marker. ATC immediately vectored me to a closer airport. The Mooney glided well and again I'm glad the engine restarted after the fuel boost pump was turned on. I don't think much of glass gascolators and especially any of them that leak.

Are you sure it is your gascolator? I had a similar situation in my 63C model where I thought the gascolator wasn't sealing properly. After extensive troubleshooting we found a crack in the top of the fuel line as it passes through the cockpit between the front of the wheel well and the fire wall and it was sucking air. The top of the line had rubbed on the cutout it passed through to the firewall.

If it definitely is the gascolator bowl, call Don Maxwell as he may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

The crack was about three inches after the line left the gascolator going to the mechanical fuel pump. The engine operated fine at idle and with fuel pump on. As soon as the fuel pump was turned off at altitude the engine would run rough and quit. If the fuel pump was on there wasn't a problem.