Sun Visors

laytonl

Rosen is in the business of producing first rate sun visors, and LASAR contracts them out only when they have enough orders (and deposits) in hand, which they haven't for had for several years.

Go with what you've been happy with before, what's available, and what's an excellent product.

• 3 weeks later...

Install Rosens if you want scratches and gouges on the inside of your windscreen. The Rosen visors have machined aluminum arms that will "fully articulate" right in and scratch your windscreen. I am extremely unhappy with the Rosen product. Yes, they are big, but over 20 years of flying I have never felt compelled to swing a sunvisor over the side window in my car or airplane!

Before buying the Rosens, sit in an airplane with them installed. They are way too clunky and complicated for me. I prefer a simply flip up/down visor like the stock Mooney ones.

Install Rosens if you want scratches and gouges on the inside of your windscreen. ... but over 20 years of flying I have never felt compelled to swing a sunvisor over the side window in my car or airplane!

There's not one scratch on my windscreen and the Rozen's have been there for many years.

I just swung the sun visor over the door window in my car last night. Go figure.

Yes, they are big, but over 20 years of flying I have never felt compelled to swing a sunvisor over the side window in my car or airplane!

Interesting. I've made one flight/week at about 1700L to the NW for the last several months, and would have very much liked to be able to swing my visor over to the side window. Unfortunately, the Rosens won't fit my '67F.

LASAR visors are very nice. Fully articulating, and not as big as the Rosens. I consider this a plus. However, I understand that LASAR does not have any in stock right now. However, it appears that several people want a set, so perhaps Paul could be induced to turn out a batch.

I've had both Rosens and Paul's Wiser Vizors in different Mooneys. Both are good products, with the LASAR units being a bit smaller, and I seem to recall that they were less expensive than the Rosens. I hope that Paul will start manufacturing them again, as they are a good value. I suggest that interested parties let Paul know of your interest. LASAR is a great resource for alternative products. When I was there recently I saw a prototype winglet wingtip. Apparently it had not be tested yet, but it was certainly attractive, and might be useful.

I've had both Rosens and Paul's Wiser Vizors in different Mooneys. Both are good products, with the LASAR units being a bit smaller, and I seem to recall that they were less expensive than the Rosens. I hope that Paul will start manufacturing them again, as they are a good value. I suggest that interested parties let Paul know of your interest. LASAR is a great resource for alternative products. When I was there recently I saw a prototype winglet wingtip. Apparently it had not be tested yet, but it was certainly attractive, and might be useful.

How recently? Any other info in the winglet wingtips (like which models they may be looking at STCing?). Or were they a dead project? I read about a company putting together active winglets for cirrus aircraft.. The concept looks pretty interesting (rumored 5% increase in efficiency on the cirrus)!

Paul showed me the winglet wingtip about a month ago. I have no idea if he is going ahead with testing. You might want to talk to him I had a DOVA D1 LSA a few years ago that had large winglets (and reflexing flaps in cruise) and that aircraft was quite fast and efficient for a LSA.

I'm very unhappy with the Rosens. They are a bit big so they are always in the way. But the worst part is, I'm constantly retightening them, as they are so heavy that the arms have trouble keeping them up. They sag, the drop down in turbulence, etc. I've had em move on takeoff roll, etc.

I'm very unhappy with the Rosens. They are a bit big so they are always in the way. But the worst part is, I'm constantly retightening them, as they are so heavy that the arms have trouble keeping them up. They sag, the drop down in turbulence, etc. I've had em move on takeoff roll, etc.

Call Rosen. Their customer service is first class. I had the same issue. They were aware of it and sent me several washers to install under the arm. Problem solved.

As for size......for me bigger is better.

• 1 month later...

Some time ago Dan at Lasar had a set made up for my 67 F with the special additional clamp-on brackets for the F. As remember it took less than a week for him to get these for me. Maybe I just caught the timing right and he was ready to order anyway, but if I wanted a set of visors I'd call and talk to Dan. The Rosen visors are supposed to be really nice but the Lasar ones fit Mooneys very well and are fully articulated. My Bonanza driving friend had Rosens and liked them until he rode in the Mooney and used the Lasar visors. Of course, he bitched about everything Mooney compared to his Bonanza, except the visors and fuel flow vs speed in the Mooney. On our two hour trip we took about 15 minutes longer than he would have, used about 12 gallons less fuel, and he could adjust the sun visors any way he wanted.

Regarding the availability: maybe the difference is in placing an actual order with Dan as compared to asking if the visors are in stock.

I bought Rosens at Sun n Fun and they were definitely cheaper there. Had them installed by my A&P and have not really liked them. Same problem as other posters with them not staying in place. Also, they are just a little too big and I have to go through gyrations to get them out to block the sun in the side window. I saw the suggestion to call Rosen about the looseness issue for additional washers. Hope that solves the problem because if it doesn't I could not recommend them. I have not had any issues with scratching.

One question, do you fly with them down when flying into the sun or haze? I have tried that a couple of times and have not been comfortable that I could see any better than just with my sunglasses. I know I have seen the ads where it looks so much better but that has not been my experience.

Interesting. I've made one flight/week at about 1700L to the NW for the last several months, and would have very much liked to be able to swing my visor over to the side window. Unfortunately, the Rosens won't fit my '67F.

as expensive as they are, I wish I could have them in my '65. It always seems I'm always flying with a headwind and into the sun. :D

Call Rosen. Their customer service is first class. I had the same issue. They were aware of it and sent me several washers to install under the arm. Problem solved.

As for size......for me bigger is better.

The problem with the Rosens loosening and not staying put is apparently real, as it persists to surface. I understand they are aware of the issue. However I don't think that's really sufficient. Being aware of an issue with their product and actually taking steps to correct it, are two different things. For a company that prides itself on sun visors I'd think they would show some diligence to resolve it. Revisit the design or whatever needs to be done. I don't think the customer should have to put up with a known issue. But apparently they feel differently as sending out washers is resolution enough. Why don't they just include the washers to begin with, if that's all it is!