Aspen Sensor

N6893U

Hey Y'all,

Yet another question. I have an Aspen 1000 EFD Pro installed on my '63 M20C. Its sensor unit (I believe they call an FSM) is located on top of the fuselage, on centerline, just aft of the cabin (I believe this is standard installation). On the aft side of this module is a one inch metal strip that runs vertically up the unit. Mine is not attached at the top. So the question is, Is this a problem? The pic in the manual shows it attached. The EFD appears to work fine. I was wondering what other installs were like after some use. I thought it may be some sort of static wick or the like. Your expertise is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

N6893U

I think the thin metal strip on the back of the RSM is a grounding strap?

Is it pulling loose? Does it look like it is debonding from the module? I am not sure what you mean by "attached"

Pictures work really good for problems like these but a call to your avionics tech is probably going to get you the best response.rsm-external-final-mounted.jpg?w=592

Not mine! I pulled that picture from the Aspen website. It was installed on John Uczekaj's DA40. You can see the module mounted just in front of the antenna behind the baggage compartment.

I believe these modules must be within a few degrees of level in flight and have some adjustment but on the severe downslope of the Diamond fusalage it must have been beyond the limit thus the fairing.

airplane.jpg?w=592

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow TomK,

That's quite an interesting spacer you've got there in your picture.

I wasn't expecting to see a need for such a large device. Does it meet a specific requirement that is required by the Aspen?

You are right about the photos being helpful.

Best regards,

The RSM unit has a spec for being absolutely level and plumb. The installation also has a distance requirement from the com antennas as well as how close two RSMs can be together (like in a PFD/MFD 1000 install). Unlike other manufacturers, the Aspen units are surface mounted to allow for the OAT to work. I think the Bendix King unit is in the wing.