Interesting installation in front of AOPA headquarters

Perhaps I missed an announcement, but I haven’t been able to find anything online regarding the charging station installed in front of AOPA. I’m guessing there are a couple of Pipistrel Velis E-trainers on order from Slovenia.

IMG_0715.jpeg.589e1fbc6904a52c98ac638c6989c312.jpeg

• Thanks 1

In March of this year, the FAA granted Pipistrel Velis a certification exemption as a light sport aircraft for training in the US. 

https://www.pipistrel-aircraft.com/pipistrel-velis-electro-earns-lsa-airworthiness-exemption-from-the-faa/

Need to investigate the charging station more closely as I believe that the Velis has a proprietary charger.

11 hours ago, N204TA said:

Indeed that looks to be the real story. I hope we get to see some electric aircraft soon. I am wondering if there’s some sort of tax credit for installing charging infrastructure.

I’m not holding my breath, waiting for an electric Aircraft to show up. My guess is that those chargers will sit unused for the foreseeable future