Changing tanks on an M20E

1 hour ago, Dick Denenny said:

Just curious as to how many out there have had the engine sputter when you can't turn the tank valve fast enough and get caught for a few seconds in the off position. And yes I have made a very nice PVC tool now.

Dick

Never happened from switching tanks too slowly. 
I’ve had it quit when I missed the fuel pressure needle falter when running a tank dry.  It’s never been a problem.  

Do all Mooneys have fuel selectors located in the same place? I’ve never understood the difficulty with manipulating the switch.

6 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I’ve never understood the difficulty with manipulating the switch.

Some of us shorter stature guys sit very forward, really close to the yoke makes it difficult to maneuver or see it. I can imagine the keg guys have this issue too.

1 hour ago, Dick Denenny said:

Just curious as to how many out there have had the engine sputter when you can't turn the tank valve fast enough and get caught for a few seconds in the off position. And yes I have made a very nice PVC tool now.

Dick

I would say make sure your boost pump is on and try and get it within 4 seconds. If it does it even on a fast switch, there maybe air in the system or small clog somewhere 

My ex partner was a bit husky and short. He had a hard time switching tanks. 

When you switch tanks, the fuel is shut off for a bit. This will start to drain the fuel pump. You will see a dip in fuel pressure when you change tanks. If you are slow enough for the fuel pressure to drop below 15 PSI, the engine will stumble.

17 minutes ago, Justin Schmidt said:

Some of us shorter stature guys sit very forward, really close to the yoke makes it difficult to maneuver or see it. I can imagine the keg guys have this issue too.

I would say make sure your boost pump is on and try and get it within 4 seconds. If it does it even on a fast switch, there maybe air in the system or small clog somewhere 

I’ve heard that but it never squared with me because my dad who might have been 5’5” at his tallest is a three time Mooney owner and has never complained about the selector. It must be a dimensional issue where some combinations of arm and torso length make it challenging.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C.J. said:

Has never happened. I use the red PVC tool and it doesn't take more than 2 seconds to change tanks.

My C is the same, using my fingers. Depending on what I've been doing and how I feel, the reach sometimes bothers my shoulder.

The only time my engine has stumbled in flight is when I decided "two more minutes" one time too many before switching tanks. Then again, I have a bowl in my carburetor, hate to think how slow I'd have to turn the switch to make it stumble . . . It's generally ~2 seconds, pausing at OFF to adjust my grip. 

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Do all Mooneys have fuel selectors located in the same place? I’ve never understood the difficulty with manipulating the switch.

No, there are different positions for the fuel selector.  My K (231) has it where the Pipers had it, in the center.  So not only are there no obstruction and either pilot can switch tanks, I can also look down and see it clearly.  

A friend's F (212 Trophy) has the fuel selector is under his legs.  So he has one of the PVC pipes to make it easier to reach. 

ADDED: *Some* Pipers....  Just remembered all the selectors on the side panel.  (Oops!)

Edited by PeteMc

21 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

No, there are different positions for the fuel selector.  My K (231) has it where the Pipers had it, in the center.  So not only are there no obstruction and either pilot can switch tanks, I can also look down and see it clearly.  

A friend's F (212 Trophy) has the fuel selector is under his legs.  So he has one of the PVC pipes to make it easier to reach. 

Yeah mine is in the pilots side footwell. Doesn't pose a problem for us.

Mine's in the footwell and it's never been an issue for me.    I did, however, have it catch in the OFF detent once during a tank switch and stop there.    It had never done that before and gave me a bit of a jump before it continued on its merry way to the other tank.    It's not done it again since, either.  ;)

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Mine's in the footwell and it's never been an issue for me.    I did, however, have it catch in the OFF detent once during a tank switch and stop there.    It had never done that before and gave me a bit of a jump before it continued on its merry way to the other tank.    It's not done it again since, either.  ;)

I noticed when installing new carpets that if one of the screws around the selector trim were to back out a few turns that it could interfere with the switch.

Never had that happen, but I do have this tiny nagging fear of picking up a little pebble with my shoes, having it fall in the selector recess, and jam it. I make a habit of running a finger inside the recess before switching tanks just to make sure there's nothing there. Once in about 900 hours I found a tiny pebble, no idea if it would have caused a problem. 

Just giving all of you one more thing to worry about. :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Never had that happen, but I do have this tiny nagging fear of picking up a little pebble with my shoes, having it fall in the selector recess, and jam it. I make a habit of running a finger inside the recess before switching tanks just to make sure there's nothing there. Once in about 900 hours I found a tiny pebble, no idea if it would have caused a problem. 

Just giving all of you one more thing to worry about. :P

Added to my checklist...."Check Fuel Selector for Rocks":D

• Like 1

I have posted this before, but here it is again.  Works very well.  Easily reachable.  The shaft is held onto the fuel selector by 3 mechanical modes (an internal step that holds the shaft down when the parts are screwed together, a set-screw, and a dowel-pin).  It will not come loose and is not in the way.  DER approved design.

I have the original shell (aluminum-colored version) which I changed for the cream version if you are interested and need a project.

John Breda

Fuel Selector - 5.jpg

IMG_2535.JPG