Ovation KFC150 Roll Servo Replacement

I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience replacing a KS-178 roll servo located in the right wing of an Ovation.  How difficult was it and how long did it take?  If you used a shop, what was the labor cost?

You won’t like the answer.

I had to do this on my first Ovation when the roll servo was acting up (about a year before I made the decision to overhaul the cockpit for the second time).  My cost was just north of $2900 - parts and labor.  Note we found the replacement servo at an extreme discount, and that this was 5+ years ago.  It made the decision to move to the GFC500 autopilot a no-brainer.

Edit:  The work wasn’t overly difficult…just hard to work inside the inspection panel (which needed to be drilled out and then re-riveted with avex pop rivets when done) with large hands.  Work took less than 2 days, including flight test.

I would take it to a place that does a lot of GFC 500 installs. Garmin copied the Bendix-King installation, so those shops have experience with the setup. I’m told a shop can replace a Garmin Mooney roll servo in less than a day, so I would think it should be the same for the KS-178. I just sold all my B-K autopilot parts to www.skymanavionics.com so you might check with him if you haven’t located a servo. 

9 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

You won’t like the answer.

I had to do this on my first Ovation when the roll servo was acting up (about a year before I made the decision to overhaul the cockpit for the second time).  My cost was just north of $2900 - parts and labor.  Note we found the replacement servo at an extreme discount, and that this was 5+ years ago.  It made the decision to move to the GFC500 autopilot a no-brainer.

Edit:  The work wasn’t overly difficult…just hard to work inside the inspection panel (which needed to be drilled out and then re-riveted with avex pop rivets when done) with large hands.  Work took less than 2 days, including flight test.

Did the entire servo, including the capstan have to come out?  Or were you able to replace just the servo motor?

10 hours ago, Jake@BevanAviation said:

KS-178 roll servos are unlike the KS-271 servos were you just remove the servo from the mount.  The whole servo assembly must be removed from the aircraft on the KS-1xx series of servos.  The removal isn't overly difficulty just time consuming.

Thanks Jake.  Is that something you guys do in your shop?  If not, where would you recommend I take it.  It's getting more and more difficult getting techs to work on Bendix King stuff!

BTW, the computer you overhauled is still working great!

On 5/3/2024 at 6:34 PM, Greg_D said:

Thanks Jake.  Is that something you guys do in your shop?  If not, where would you recommend I take it.  It's getting more and more difficult getting techs to work on Bendix King stuff!

BTW, the computer you overhauled is still working great!

Jake repaired my KFC 200 roll servo. Works great.  R&R o my end took longer because my guy had never done it before. 

@Greg_D I can work on the servo but some of the parts are very limited and Honeywell is making it difficult to order replacement parts.  If you need someone to remove the servo you might reach out to On-Site Avionics or General Avionics.  If you are going to call General Avionics do it early in the morning and ask for James.  For On-Site Avionics the contact is Ronnie.