Interior piece

Hello all,

my 1970 M20E came to me with a missing interior piece. It is the trim piece on the door where the co-pilot would rest their elbow. I attach some pictures of a similar piece from the back seat, right side. There should have been four of them in the plane, one for each person, and I am missing one. These are made of rounded L-shaped aluminum, with two holes for some clips, and wrapped in vinyl. The one in the front is somewhat longer than the one in the back. 

Does anyone have a source for the aluminum piece inside? I did find a local auto upholstery shop which agreed to wrap it for me for cheap ($50), but they said that if they would need to fabricate the aluminum piece inside they'd charge me quite a bit ($300) for the labor involved. Being a CB, I'm trying to find an easier way...

Thanks,

A.

IMG_2153.jpeg

IMG_2152.jpeg

AC,

Those things seem to have gone missing early on in Mooney history…

If they still exist in the wild…

we have a few resources for pre-flown Mooney parts…

@Alan Fox

@SheryLoewen

@Jerry Pressley

if your favorite steed is a worthy forever-plane that deserves only the best….  It is quite possible that your favorite MSC can dig one up, or have it manufactured in a few months time….  Gold plating of course will cost extra.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Measure the width of the old one in front, make sure then right is the same size. Then buy a piece of aluminum angle and cut to the same shape.

Trace the existing one on a piece of paper, then turn it over and trace the mirror image onto the aluminum. Then give it to the upholsterer. I'd recommend some padding, too. Redo both front ones if you mess up the old one.

The problem is that it is not exactly angled aluminum, in that the angle is rounded. Do you know how one can bend aluminum to end up with a 90 degree angle bend, but rounded?

Find the local EAA and ask them for help.

I would find someone with a sheetmetal roller with small rollers. Then just put an oversized piece of sheet metal in the rollers and just tighten the rollers without rolling it. After you have the bend, trim the ends.

44 minutes ago, AndreiC said:

The problem is that it is not exactly angled aluminum, in that the angle is rounded. Do you know how one can bend aluminum to end up with a 90 degree angle bend, but rounded?

I made all of my aluminum armrests and they look very similar to what you posted.  Start with a piece of aluminum bigger than you need and make that long bend first.  I think I bent mine over the edge of my work bench; I may have used a sheet metal break; can't remember.  You need something with the radius to bend it over.  Then cut it to size; smooth the edges, round the corners, pop rivet the nut plates, add the foam padding, then cover with upholstery.  It's a time consuming job but it can be done nicely. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

I made all of my aluminum armrests and they look very similar to what you posted.  Start with a piece of aluminum bigger than you need and make that long bend first.  I think I bent mine over the edge of my work bench; I may have used a sheet metal break; can't remember.  You need something with the radius to bend it over.  Then cut it to size; smooth the edges, round the corners, pop rivet the nut plates, add the foam padding, then cover with upholstery.  It's a time consuming job but it can be done nicely. 

Did your 67 come stock with aluminum? The armrests in my 67 are made of what looks to be injection molded foam impregnated with a hardener where he fasteners are attached. I covered them in ultrasuede. 

7 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Did your 67 come stock with aluminum? The armrests in my 67 are made of what looks to be injection molded foam impregnated with a hardener where he fasteners are attached. I covered them in ultrasuede. 

Nope.  My original armrests were made of something that sounds like exactly what you describe but they were in really bad shape and warped.  I installed new Plane Plastics Interior Panels years ago, then finally got around to making aluminum armrests and side accent panels after I retired.  I might go one more round soon with carpet and seat covers; Airtex or SCS.  Waiting until I get my tanks reseal; carpeted side panels will need to come out to replace the fuel senders... then maybe new carpet... again.    

IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2122.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DCarlton said:

Nope.  My original armrests were made of something that sounds like exactly what you describe but they were in really bad shape and warped.  I installed new Plane Plastics Interior Panels years ago, then finally got around to making aluminum armrests and side accent panels after I retired.  I might go one more round soon with carpet and seat covers; Airtex or SCS.  Waiting until I get my tanks reseal; carpeted side panels will need to come out to replace the fuel senders... then maybe new carpet... again.    

IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2122.jpeg

That came out looking great.  I can only hope that someday my interior pieces look that good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DCarlton said:

IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2122.jpeg

That looks nice! When we added jacks to the rear seats, we used the same panel that you used but mounted them the inverse of how yours are configured so that they recess rather than protrude. Where are the releases for the rear seatbacks?

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Medflyer said:

DC CCarlton

Those interior panels look very nice!  I tried googling Plane Plastics Interior Panels thinking that was the name of the company but no hits came up.  Who did you buy those panels through?

It’s Vantage Plane Plastics now.  

https://vantageassoc.com/airplane/mooney/m20.html

4 hours ago, Shadrach said:

That looks nice! When we added jacks to the rear seats, we used the same panel that you used but mounted them the inverse of how yours are configure so they recess rather than protrude. Where are the releases for the rear seatbacks?

Thanks.  Good eyes on the releases.  Seats never get moved.  Can access the latches from the rear if needed to remove the seats.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCarlton said:

Thanks.  Good eyes on the releases.  Seats never get moved.  Can access the latches from the rear if needed to remove the seats.  

I have a few passengers that really like to lay back on longer trips, so they enjoy the having the option. Do you still have the curtains? I reinstalled the side curtains that had been removed about 5 years ago. Curtains are a true luxury for rear seaters.

8 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I have a few passengers that really like to lay back on longer trips, so they enjoy the having the option. Do you still have the curtains? I reinstalled the side curtains that had been removed about 5 years ago. Curtains are a true luxury for rear seaters.

No curtains.  It’s a cool look but I prefer the unobstructed visibility.  

I would use a piece of closet rod and a vice to make the bend.   Clamp one end with the closet rod.  Then use a rubber mallet to help you bend it.  If the closet rod is the wrong size then wood dowel.   Go to NAPA and get some of the little springy things, drill a hole and insert.

Then go to fabric store and buy some foam filling, some leather of your color and some contact cement (not the water based, the good smelly stuff)  Cut and glue.

Pilots can do interior stuff under Preventive Maintenance.  Make it look better than factory and nobody will care.

If you want to redo all the lower panels in leather.   leatherhidestore.com   Buy a couple of hides.   There is different weights of leather hides.

• Like 2