Oshkosh This Year...2012

fantom

Who's planning on attending.....it's only 3 months away?

I've been to three. Last one in 1998. Flown in twice but not in my Mooney, and did the airline thing once, at the tail end of a business trip.

This time I plan to fly into Appleton in my plane, with a buddy, and stay in a B&B, house or motel, Monday to Friday. Formation with a bunch of other unruly Mooney pilots scares the you know what out of me, miles of grass taxi traveling is not my cup of tea, nor is sleeping under the wing of my Mooney or in a tent anymore.

Trusting we don't need to waste time debating my choices above, who else is attending and what are your recent experiences on places to stay, and how to get around the local area?

Cool

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely want to make it a point to go this year.  I have been to S&F a couple times but never to Oshkosh.  I would like to find a couple folks from the east that are going also.  Not for a caravan but at least to fly in trail.  I also plan on sleeping next to the Mooney.  

I will be in Oshkosh again working at the COMM Center next to what used to be called Aero Shell Square, Just sure if I'll be flying or driving, look me up. I'm sure as we get closer to Air Venture we will have a phone list going

Brett, the airport is open by NOTAM in the morning and afternoon.

here is last year's notam

From 6 AM CDT July 23 through Noon CDT Aug. 1, 2011, Wittman Regional Airport will be closed to all ARRIVING aircraft from 8 PM until 7 AM CDT daily
and closed to all DEPARTING aircraft from 8 PM until 6 AM CDT daily.

also closed during airshow:

2011 Oshkosh Airshow Times

Monday, July 25 thru Saturday, July 30: 2:30-6:30 PM CDT

Saturday, July 30: 8:15-9:30 PM CDT

Sunday, July 31: 2:00-5:00 PM CDT

Will be camping in The Warbird camping area. Will be there the whole week. Have at least 4 of our Warbirds coming up. 

No problem getting out with your plane on Friday. Lot's of volunteers to make it as simple as possible. 

I think a Mooney get together sounds like a great idea. 

I'm planning on going. Coming on Wed, leave when ready. So far am alone and camping but I do have a hotel at Appleton  that I'll share since it's 200/nite minimum 5 nights.  Have it reserved. Tues nite - Friday nite.  I have to cancel by 7/1 at no charge.  Have a rental car too.  If I can't share I'll camp and go fewer days.

Bill

My son and I will also be flying into Appleton.  Thursday at EAA Friday and Saturday...Commuting on my buddies Harley and Honda sport bike...it is a beautiful thing.  Is it to early to ask for nice VFR weather lord?...and temporate camping with NO severe thunder storms?...as I look out the window to thunder and lightning....

I'll definitely be ther again this year and camping by the Mooney.  My son and I lament on missing Friar Tucks all year, so I love Byron's idea of a Mooney takeover of the place one night.  This will be Matthews third year and about my 8th.  We usually come in Weds or Thurs and then through Sunday morning.  Can't wait!

Quote: Bnicolette

I definitely want to make it a point to go this year.  I have been to S&F a couple times but never to Oshkosh.  I would like to find a couple folks from the east that are going also.  Not for a caravan but at least to fly in trail.  I also plan on sleeping next to the Mooney.  

Incase any of you are contemplating attending Oshkosh with the Mooney Caravan I'd be happy to talk with you about how much fun your fellow 'unruly' Mooney pilots will be having in the North 40. As you read in this month's MAPA LOG the Caravan is all formation. Interested in learning more about our formation training and procedures just ask dandtmarten@hotmail.com I wrote 'em.

I'll be in the North 40 with my wife and two girls (Amelia 4 and Annabelle 1). I'll save a cold one for you (or buy ya one at Tucks!)