Cruise Speeds

Jrags

I think if I were looking at six-seat single-engine retractables as an alternative to a Mooney it'd be an A36 Bonanza rather than a C210.   As much as I like 210s, I think an A36 would be a better choice for many reasons.

But an M20C would be a much better choice than either for a cost- and fuel-efficient speedy transport that's not too much of a pain to own.   If you don't need the payload capability, there's no reason to take on the additional expense, complexity, and hassle of the bigger airplanes.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Echo said:

That first photo is a stunner!  Wow, what an awesomely equipped vintage Mooney!

I also have very few if any speed mods...my big TAS jump came after I overhauled the prop and installed a new governor....I think having a tight prop system is key to some added knots...I have the hartzell scimitar prop....

I do have the cowling mod and that is it....I wonder if I cleaned up the tail a bit if I could get a few more knots....

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Are your CO detectors in some kind of docking station?  They look flush.

I removed the belt clips from each unit. I then used industrial Velcro to secure them. Just happened to be a perfect flush fit above the audio control panel. 

• Like 1

an early 210 is a money pit. With the fabulous Leakin' Continental engine, eats gas, eats cylinders, eats any money you have and any money you might borrow, corrosion issues everywhere on the airframe, complex gear that eats more money... but your mechanic will LOVE you.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, philiplane said:

an early 210 is a money pit. With the fabulous Leakin' Continental engine, eats gas, eats cylinders, eats any money you have and any money you might borrow, corrosion issues everywhere on the airframe, complex gear that eats more money... but your mechanic will LOVE you.

Buy a Skymaster and your mechanic will marry you. 

• Haha 2

Key things here…

1) Buying first airplane…

2) Picking the way through the coarse details…

3) defining the mission is a good idea…

4) Do you like speed and efficiency?  Go Mooney!

5) The M20C makes a great first plane ownership experience.

6) The other option given… is neither speed or efficiency for the size of the engine/fuel burn it has…

7) You may want to review the economics of GA… just a bit, before proceeding too far.

8) Select the engine that you want your Mooney to fly behind… based on gph/$/hr…

• O360
  • IO360
  • TN’d or TC’d IO360
  • then go bigger…. IO520 or IO550, with or without turbos…

Then select the body length you prefer….

• short body
  • mid body
  • long body

9) Don’t rush to get too much machine, until you pick up the experience to match…

10) When you have the matching experience… go all in….  Go Acclaim!

:)

PP thoughts only, my first airplane was an M20C.  A short body, with the 180hp O360…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Key things here…

1) Buying first airplane…

2) Picking the way through the coarse details…

3) defining the mission is a good idea…

4) Do you like speed and efficiency?  Go Mooney!

5) The M20C makes a great first plane ownership experience.

6) The other option given… is neither speed or efficiency for the size of the engine/fuel burn it has…

7) You may want to review the economics of GA… just a bit, before proceeding too far.

8) Select the engine that you want your Mooney to fly behind… based on gph/$/hr…

• O360
  • IO360
  • TN’d or TC’d IO360
  • then go bigger…. IO520 or IO550, with or without turbos…

Then select the body length you prefer….

• short body
  • mid body
  • long body

9) Don’t rush to get too much machine, until you pick up the experience to match…

10) When you have the matching experience… go all in….  Go Acclaim!

:)

PP thoughts only, my first airplane was an M20C.  A short body, with the 180hp O360…

Best regards,

-a-

Welcome back!

• Thanks 1

Looks like I'm going to end up with a M20G.  I found one in my price range with a new interior and paint.  It's set up with just VFR instruments so I can upgrade it how I need to.  Thanks for all the advice.  It has really helped make my decision. 

• Like 2