Cylinder peaks way behind others

31 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

That’s why I’d like to see an extended mag check, to see if there is a significant difference in egt between the two, mags can cross fire etc, but unlikely both are identical malfunctions, same for plug leads.

What I’m calling an extended mag check is on each mag long enough to see EGT’s stabilize.

If the two mags are close to the same EGT, that ought to eliminate the ignition system, plugs, mags, harness etc. I’ve even seen an ignition switch cause an intermittent miss, that took awhile to find

I agree. I’d also like to know the raw EGT number from full rich to peak EGT. It might be useful to know how rich of peak it’s running with the mixtures balls to the wall.  

I think it’s good practice to do methodical in flight mag checks on a regular basis. I usually check each cylinder individually. Takes about a minute from start to finish.

1 hour ago, Fly Boomer said:

I have suggested plug, wire, or mag, but he says in-flight mag check is perfect.

I guess that means we need to define perfect… just running smoothly is a pretty low bar.

I wonder what his mixture setting is during the in flight check? Is #4 crossing into 1700° territory during a best power mag check? Will it run smoothly on one mag at 25° LOP? 

On 4/26/2023 at 9:29 PM, lithium366 said:

Here is a picture if a #4 valves.

IMG_1744.jpeg

IMG_1745.jpeg

What about the pictures of exhaust valves #1,2 and 3? The carbon deposits on #4 exhaust look suspicious. No obvious sign of one side overheating/burn thru, but not a complete circle as well.

On the other hand, a problem with the valve would show up on the leakdown test. It might also worth to do a valve guide test for (partially) stuck valve following Lycoming SB.

Edited by vik
fix typo

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, jordanjms said:

@lithium366, did you ever get a resolution to this? I'm having the exact same issue. Savvy suggests checking the dry tappet clearance like you mentioned. Did you try that?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

I did and found an excessive clearance on #4 intake that is likely a contribution. That said it is not terribly bad and I did not dig further yet in that direction.

That said, I also uploaded another flight and they said to look for an induction leak, which I did and found nothing but replaced intake gaskets anyways

Let us know when you find out what’s your issue!

Edited by lithium366

6 minutes ago, jordanjms said:

Did you fix the tappet clearance and did that improve the GAMI spread and high EGT or did that get solved with the replacement of the intake gasket?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

I tried longer push rod - did not help and probably should not if timing is affected because of a cam lobe shape change.  Issue is not fixed yet

Edited by lithium366
  • Like 1