Recommendation: Tagging Favorites?

Ok, here's something that ought to be doable.    I've been a MS member since 2017 and recently transitioned from owning/managing a C to a J.   Of course I've got questions about stuff.  This is a common situation.  MS is a tremendous resource with a long history.  It amazes me how often times google search turns up deep, relevant, technical discussions on MS- much more often than BT or POA, etc. 

When something big comes up with my airplane, instead of creating a thread to ask a question, I'll first search MS with goduckgo using "question site:mooneyspace.com", where question here in quotes are strings related to my question.   For instance, this morning I typed this into google search: "troubleshooting kfc-150 trim error site:mooneyspace.com"

The first hit was an excellent thread from 2015 that I think might answer my question!   I would love to tag this as a favorite so I don't have to redo my search next time I want to refer to it.   "Follow" doesnt' cut it.  It only tells you when somebody posts to that thread.

We need an ability to tag threads as "favorites", and have those favorites show up on our personal page.  That will make them easy to locate in the future.  There could be an option to let others see your favorites, or keep them private, just like we can presently do with follow.

This seems like a great compromise other than having a faq.   It would allow a member to save reference to a thread that has useful information.

Howbout it?

• Like 1

• 0TreeLemur changed the title to Recommendation: Tagging Favorites?

I have no idea what’s possible here, but it’s probably worth checking the Invision community to see if an extension already exists that does what you want. If there’s an extension already, it might be easy for @mooniac58 to add it. 

https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/how-to-use-ips-community-suite/content-discovery/content-tags-and-prefixes-r72/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0TreeLemur said:

This seems like a great compromise other than having a faq.   It would allow a member to save reference to a thread that has useful information.

"We" (meaning @mooniac58) buy the software from https://invisioncommunity.com/ so it either can do what you are asking for, or it can't.  New development is likely to be expensive and, as with all changes, risks breaking something else.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

"We" (meaning @mooniac58) buy the software from https://invisioncommunity.com/ so it either can do what you are asking for, or it can't.  New development is likely to be expensive and, as with all changes, risks breaking something else.

Thanks for your reply.  As I understand what you wrote, the feature set we see is what we have, and configuring new features is not an option without an expensive development contract.  If so, that's just a shame.  I know many other sites use this software.  

I'm really interested in making MS better for all, especially those of us who learn from the considerable experience that seems to live online here.  Imagine chat-gpt, except with real-live Mooney experts, who often disagree with each other!  Good to get feedback from multiple perspectives!

-Fred

6 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Thanks for your reply.  As I understand what you wrote, the feature set we see is what we have, and configuring new features is not an option without an expensive development contract.  If so, that's just a shame.  I know many other sites use this software.  

Well, it's certainly possible that there are options offered by the developer, options already in the software that can be configured, or options from third-party developers.  All I'm saying is that if none of those avenues are available, it could get expensive.  If this software publishes APIs, database designs, etc., that could make third-party add-ons more likely.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rbp said:

Why don’t you just bookmark  them in your browser?

Or something like that.   I keep notes on lots of things in OneNote, and it's easy to stack up urls in there with descriptions of the topic, which is then searchable in the tool.   I find all kinds of obscure notes about things from years ago this way, which have links to wherever I was getting data on the topic at the time.   There are other ways as well, so there are options.

I think the closest thing we would have is to use the "follow" option on the content.  This makes it like a favorite and you can get email updates on that topic, etc.  You can also pull up a list of your followed content from your profile for quick access.

All these other ideas would work, but none are as convenient as being able to save titles and links to useful threads for future reference in MS.    

3 hours ago, mooniac58 said:

I think the closest thing we would have is to use the "follow" option on the content.  This makes it like a favorite and you can get email updates on that topic, etc.  You can also pull up a list of your followed content from your profile for quick access.

If you follow a thread that nobody has posted to for years, how do you know you are following it?  Is there some way in user's personal home to see a list of threads they are following?

18 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

All these other ideas would work, but none are as convenient as being able to save titles and links to useful threads for future reference in MS.    

If you follow a thread that nobody has posted to for years, how do you know you are following it?  Is there some way in user's personal home to see a list of threads they are following?

Click on your profile name at the top right then "Manage Followed Content"

4 hours ago, mooniac58 said:

Click on your profile name at the top right then "Manage Followed Content"

Thanks for leading me through that process Craig.   That will achieve what I want to do. 

Non-controversial and could be used to start a FAQ! ;)