Faked a Crash

GeeBee

3 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Technically, @Fly Boomer is correct. The Dunning-Kruger effect isn’t just that you’re a dumbass. It’s that you’re such a dumbass that you think you’re a genius

Those with low abilities at something that are aware of their low ability usually aren’t the ones that get into trouble. It’s when you aren’t good at something and also aren’t good as realizing how bad you are that gets you into trouble. 

I have low ability when it comes to maintain airplanes, therefore I don’t do it. Hopefully this will keep me out of trouble

Er, OT here, but just to clarify, Dunning-Kruger is often misused and misquoted, ironically enough, considering everyone's common assertions! :) In fact, the results of the original study was NOT that people with a little ability rate themselves highly.  It was simply that they overrated themselves, whereas highly qualified people underrated themselves by a similar amount, so that the overall results were similar.

The upshot was not that there is a "Mount Stupid" effect, as is so commonly quoted or depicted:

The Dunning-Kruger effect: Misunderstood, misrepresented, overused and …  non-existent? – Skepchick

Instead, the interpretation should be that people rate themselves about the same across all levels of qualification, and perhaps that self-ratings of ones own qualifications are likely to be uninformative unless there are objective measurements of performance.

Sorry, psychology rant over :) 

FWIW, I do think that the plane swap stunt could have brought positive attention to aviation from today's generation if it had been done correctly, and I think we need more stuff like that to keep GA alive moving forwards.  This whole idea that there are people out there who want to turn aviation into an attention-grabbing, gratifying and exciting activity should be embraced, rather than shunned, because that's the way people are growing up now.  That means people will be that way for a looong time, so need to be planning on that.

The shame, of course, are the people who do it the wrong way and hurt the cause by deception or idiocy, but it's not like the YouTube generation has a monopoly on that.  Maybe we just think there are more young idiots running around out there, because the older idiots have managed to get themselves killed already.

Anyway, Jacobs and the Red Bull guys behaved reprehensibly and should be drawn/quartered, but the motive behind their behavior is something we need more of.  Sorry, other rant over :)

Social media has created a generation of true narcissists in every sense of the word. People vying for attention and the need to “one up” each other will only perpetuate this stupidity.

And then there are just stupid people. The ones who don’t realize Darwin was talking about them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

The always humorous yet logical opinion from Paul [my opinion:lol:]

I generally agree with his take on it.    The FAA makes a big distinction between "unintentional" and "willful" infringement of rules.    When you've gotten a letter than says, "Don't do that" and you do it anyway, I think it'll be hard to argue that that's not willful infringement.

I also hadn't previously realized that one of those guys was also the high altitude no-parachute-to-the-ground guy.

Mr Jacob made his first public comment about crashing his airplane for views. He went flying in a different airplane WITHOUT a parachute! :blink::blink::blink: I supposed he came to the conclusion that parachutes are only needed for illegal pranks instead of real flying. Here's his video cashing in on his FAA certificate revocation.

I hate to give him publicity for his new publicity stunt, but figured it's only fair he get to share his side of the story if everyone here's criticizing him.

Looks like besides Trevor and the Red Bull swap guys, Trent Palmer also received an FAA revocation.

Mr Jacob made his first public comment about crashing his airplane for views. He went flying in a different airplane WITHOUT a parachute! :blink::blink::blink: I supposed he came to the conclusion that parachutes are only needed for illegal pranks instead of real flying. Here's his video cashing in on his FAA certificate revocation.
I hate to give him publicity for his new publicity stunt, but figured it's only fair he get to share his side of the story if everyone here's criticizing him.
Looks like besides Trevor and the Red Bull swap guys, Trent Palmer also received an FAA revocation.

What was Palmer violated for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, 201er said:

I watched at 1.5 speed and I’m still saddened that those are a few minutes of my life wasted that I’ll never get back. I’m not sure he really shared “his side of the story” other than his narcissistic quote about “you don’t have to watch me, but you want to.”

Almost as informative as the Probable Cause video also posted in this thread that is just a teaser for more videos but doesn’t actually tell you anything.

2 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

I watched at 1.5 speed and I’m still saddened that those are a few minutes of my life wasted that I’ll never get back. I’m not sure he really shared “his side of the story” other than his narcissistic quote about “you don’t have to watch me, but you want to.”

Almost as informative as the Probable Cause video also posted in this thread that is just a teaser for more videos but doesn’t actually tell you anything.

Yeah, sorry that’s all they’re giving.

1 hour ago, 201er said:

Yeah, sorry that’s all they’re giving.

No worries. My opinion of that gentleman remains unchanged after this video of him sitting in the left seat of an airplane while he “flies to the nearest town” to mail his now revoked certificate to the FAA. I would call him a certain name, but that would be an insult to a used feminine hygiene product.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

No worries. My opinion of that gentleman remains unchanged after this video of him sitting in the left seat of an airplane while he “flies to the nearest town” to mail his now revoked certificate to the FAA. I would call him a certain name, but that would be an insult to a used feminine hygiene product.

You’ve got better manners than I have, so I’ll say it.

He’s an attention seeking publicity hound.  And a douche bag.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 12:06 PM, Marauder said:

91.119 and 91.13 apparently for making a very low pass over some houses. He says it was an inspection pass to land on someone's property but elected not to. It's kind of a long video and mildly interesting to hear his side of things.

Various levels of low hanging fruit and the biggest bang for the buck for the FAA…

1) As a YouTuber….  Your video may supply them the evidence they need for their current lesson to be taught…

2) As a popular YouTuber…. You provide them a very wide distribution of their efforts…

3) Even BrYan the comedian got a visit from the FAA… for his comic learn how to fly video… maybe they just wanted his autograph… :)

4) Has anyone heard from the Beech pilot that seemed to have difficulty with proper aviation decision making skills?

He may be out there still waiting to be next…

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 11:26 AM, 201er said:

91.119 and 91.13 apparently for making a very low pass over some houses. He says it was an inspection pass to land on someone's property but elected not to. It's kind of a long video and mildly interesting to hear his side of things.

this one is really pushing a violation IMO!...out there in n nevada...folks have house on 10/20 acre lots.He was invited to land at his friends rc strip ..say 600/700 useful.He makes a high and low recon to assess the area and decides to beg off.This is precisely what the FAA advises in their circular for off airport landings.IT was my guidance when landing at friends places with big enough property in my bell 47.Any way...one of the neighbors doesnt like the other neighbor rc flying..and go out and cell phones Trents approach.Judge bascally rules since he didnt complete the landing,it was an unnecessary low flight and violated the 500 ft rule.This is rather strange circular logic thought up by the FAA adminstrative law judge.My big concern is that every time I fly my hot air balloon...I am constantly evaluating landing approaches...frequently below 500 ft or less than 500 ft from nearest structure.If I see powerlines or animals or unfavorable takeout I add flame and climbout They never occur at airports and are thus all off airport landings..SO..some Karen calls this in ..than according to this judge ,Im in danger of risking all my certs. on the fact I didnt complete the landing.Personally i feel his flying groups call sign"flying cowboys"is unfortunate because I think the FAA hates that term...a pilot acting like a cowboy was a deritiveof some one flying like yoyo.My belief..the FAA is out to make a example of another utuber so close on the heels of parachute plane crash guy and redbull ignoring FAA waiver refusal.

15 minutes ago, 201er said:

That was quick! It only took over half a year to revoke Trevor’s.

I think he's still flying pending appeal.   His ruling was a 60-day suspension, iirc.    I can't read this particular article because paywall, but these guys appear to be getting hit harder.   These guys ignored a letter from the FAA.