Discharge from breather hose

5 minutes ago, 201Steve said:

How do you quantify this

After flying... open the oil cap...

When you come back... no oil on the cap will be found....

If you skip this step... you may find a couple of water drops hiding on the back side of the cap...

The cap isn’t necessarily attracting the moisture...

So if you find a few drops there... there are probably other surfaces that have water drops as well...

There is a ton of water getting generated by the combustion process... some of it ends up in the oil sump...

PP thoughts only,

-a-

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 201Steve said:

How do you quantify this

Well, after seeing the milkshake on the oil cap and wiping it clean, then observing the oil cap being clean from milkshake after keeping the oil cap open, time and time again, leads me to believe that this works.

• Like 1

Any internal combustion engine pulls in air after shutdown and this air is often moisture laden.

‘It will also condensate on any cooler engine part, on cars you would see it on valve covers, so valve covers would often have rust and would be among the first place you would find sludge. 

Back in the 70’s and earlier you would know if Quaker State or Penzoil was used in a car as soon as you pulled a cover, often just removing the oil filler cap woud tell you,just stuff would condensate 

I’ve heard of people who will connect a hose to the breather tube that connected to desiccant, I see the logic there, but have a hard time seeing removing the dip stick doing anything.

1 hour ago, GEE-BEE said:

Wrong

Flurosilone liner

I mfg this spec for oil and fuel use

My wait hump hoses in various sizes are flurolined , I use this spec for Vw and Porsche assys , I mfg over 5k air cooled hose assys per year.

I love when people tell me about things and there not in the business.

I now fly behind a turbine as I have no faith in the quality of parts in the piston market, my life is worth more .

GB

No, I am not wrong.

‘Silicone hoses are not compatible with petroleum products, period.

‘You get around that by purchasing silicone hoses lined with a product that is compatible, just as what I said about Viton. 

‘The point of my post was to try to keep people from going down to the car shop or Ebay or whatever and buying pretty silicone hoses to put on their airplane.

So is the exterior of your hoses also protected? 

Edited by A64Pilot

There are also Viton line silicone hoses,but as Viton is a brand name, and other than it being a synthetic rubber I’m not sure what it is. I’m no chemist

This may be a Plexiglass / Ploycarbonate discussion.

‘But it’s irrelevant, all I was trying to do was keep people from buying plain silicone hose to put on an airplane and expose it to oil.

2 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

No, I am not wrong.

‘Silicone hoses are not compatible with petroleum products, period.

‘You get around that by purchasing silicone hoses lined with a product that is compatible, just as what I said about Viton. 

‘The point of my post was to try to keep people from going down to the car shop or Ebay or whatever and buying pretty silicone hoses to put on their airplane.

So is the exterior of your hoses also protected? 

Not silicone, fluorosilicone, which is a recommended material for fuel and oil compatibility.    Many of us use the blue fluorosilicone o-rings in our fuel caps because they greatly outlast the usual rings.   You can check material compatibility charts from a number of sources for this.

• Like 1