Flight Charts

stancrader

1 hour ago, stancrader said:

Great forum...another question...

2006 M20-R G1000

I have charts installed and can view the charts but unable to get to them the map so that the plane shows ‘on’ the chart.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Stan Crader

What software version do you have?

• Thanks 1

Was going to ask the same thing.  @stancrader, with G1000 SW version .30 and .34, you cannot display the aircraft (geo-reference).  Not sure if you’re able to show the aircraft with version .37, so you’d have to check with your avionics shop or Garmin unless @GeeBee or anyone else knows.  I understand that the .37 upgrade is about $500, so Garmin or Mooney is apparently trying to make something there.

The only other way to guarantee geo-referencing is to buy (if you don’t already have it) the Jeppesen Chartview unlock card.  Last I looked, the card was north of $3000.  You’d also need a JeppView subscription, which is in addition to the unlock card.  Not cheap unfortunately.

Edited by StevenL757
Correction, as was pointed out earlier

Just now, StevenL757 said:

Was going to ask the same thing.  @stancrader, with G1000 SW version .30 and .34, you cannot display the aircraft (geo-reference).  Not sure if you’re able to show the aircraft with version .37, so you’d have to check with your avionics shop or Garmin unless @GeeBee knows (which I suspect he might).  :-)

The only other way to guarantee geo-referencing is to buy (if you don’t already have it) the Jeppesen Chartview unlock card.  Last I looked, the card was north of $3000.  You’d also need a JeppView subscription, which is in addition to the unlock card.  Not cheap unfortunately.

All I know is I have .34 and I have geo referencing on Garmin Flight Charts.

• Like 1

Geo referencing....  aka blue dot...

The standard of knowing where you actually are on the actual approach plate...

I have used the blue dot on an iPad... no G1000... great horizontal situational awareness...

Oddly, they don’t show a vertical blue dot...    :)  vertical situation doesn’t count???

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, StevenL757 said:

Was going to ask the same thing.  @stancrader, with G1000 SW version .30 and .34, you cannot display the aircraft (geo-reference).  Not sure if you’re able to show the aircraft with version .37, so you’d have to check with your avionics shop or Garmin unless @GeeBee or anyone else knows.  I understand that the .37 upgrade is about $500, so Garmin or Mooney is apparently trying to make something there.

For much less, you can buy an inexpensive, wifi-only Samsung tablet and install (free) Avare. The approach plates arw georeferenced and the airport diagram pops up on roll out. Call it $150 after tax. Use the rest of Garmin's $500 price to buy fuel. Samsung doesn't limit GPS chips to pricey cellular models like the fruit vendor does . . . .

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Hank said:

For much less, you can buy an inexpensive, wifi-only Samsung tablet and install (free) Avare. The approach plates arw georeferenced and the airport diagram pops up on roll out. Call it $150 after tax. Use the rest of Garmin's $500 price to buy fuel. Samsung doesn't limit GPS chips to pricey cellular models like the fruit vendor does . . . .

EeeZactly!

The cost of database subscriptions is crazy.  The company jets I fly have to have about 10 different database subscriptions, all updated on peculiar schedules, usually done by technical people.  Failure to pay Jeppeson is like a ransome, rendering avionics unusable.  The company has about 550 planes to keep updated.  The cost is passed on to the customers.

For my Mooney, I use Flightplan GO on a Samsung tablet.  Free geocentric maps, charts and pubs with a ADS-B display capability.  I prefer panel mounted stuff, but the cost delta for my non-commercial use makes no sense...none.  When I divide the cost of my 430 subscription by the number of approaches I do requiring a current database, the cost of a GPS approach is very expensive.  Last year, I only did two GPS approaches in IFR conditions.  ILS, or LOC approaches just need current approach plates.

I keep expecting a pushback on database pricing, but with no competition, there's no hope.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

I keep expecting a pushback on database pricing, but with no competition, there's no hope.

I believe there are other providers of aeronautical data, such as Lufthansa Systems, but they cater to airlines, not end users. At least the FAA provides consistent charts for all of the US; this side of the pond, each country has their own style.

I agree the costs are beyond crazy. Seems Boeing (who owns Jeppesen) and Garmin et al have discovered the "Gillette Model". Which morphed into the Kodak model, then the HP printer model. Unfortunately given our regulatory structure there is little that can be done especially in for hire operations.

I can also tell you Lufthansa's DB are no cheaper than others. Been there done that. No one is a fool in the DB business.

• Thanks 1

To approach this concept from a different angle, I fail to understand why showing yourself on an approach plate is all that interesting, if you have the .34 version of Garmin software.  If you fly an approach with the FltPlan page active, you'll see the same graphical information, but you'll also see how far you are to the next fix in the approach AND the target altitude you need at that point.  It's a much more useful view than just seeing yourself on an approach chart.  And if you have SynViz, geez, just fly through the magenta (or sometimes green) boxes until you get the meatball on the airport depiction...then follow it in!

I do agree that having the approach plates on a tablet is also good, in that this way you can more easily zoom and scroll to see the fine print that you won't possibly be able to see on the MFD.

• Like 1

To be honest, I rarely use the approach chart on my G1000 except for a quick reference to minimums or something like that. I find the resolution of the display wanting. Maybe the NXi solves that, I don't know, most the time I have map + wx.