Camera systems and mounting points for flight recording

r0ckst4r

If catching video for short landings....
expect the AOA needed to support flight is going to be pretty high...
The slower you approach the runway... the closer to dragging the tail you will be...
Often the tie-down ring back there has scrape marks on it...
If your camera is a couple of inches tall and the mount adds another inch... expect a real possibility of scraping the camera...
On the centerline is not really a good place anyways... the exhaust stream brings a quart of oil every 10 hours or so... cleaning the lens will be annoying... as you will miss a fair amount of video...
PP thoughts about things I read around here...
Best regards,
-a-

I had my camera mounted there and it never scratched the floor. But obviously it could happen. On the second comments absolutely YES that is a real problem!!! Many videos ended up useless because of a dirty lens. I moved it a bit to the left and the issue resolved itself.

Oscar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...

I finally designed a vertical stabilizer suction RAM mount that is strong enough and easy to remove.

Try it out today and took a video using the Insta360 camera during our three-ship formation. I could turn on and off the camera using a Bluetooth remote control during flight.  Today is very bumpy but the mount held very well.

image.png.40aaa0c235eafe37a032cbd82940bd7b.pngimage.png.e238e26db6081f0be1b301fe742c211e.png

image.png.d1d73ee47cc2bc0c3b90de15ec7afe38.png

Edited by JBear

6 hours ago, JBear said:

I finally designed a vertical stabilizer suction RAM mount that is strong enough and easy to remove.

Try it out today and took a video using the Insta360 camera during our three-ship formation. I could turn on and off the camera using a Bluetooth remote control during flight.  Today is very bumpy but the mount held very well.

image.png.40aaa0c235eafe37a032cbd82940bd7b.pngimage.png.e238e26db6081f0be1b301fe742c211e.png

image.png.d1d73ee47cc2bc0c3b90de15ec7afe38.png

That is one intense mount you have there.

• Like 1