First 4 month into ownership

Just got another oil analysis results:

Iron is now 36 (35 hours on oil).

Iron was 22 (10 hours on oil) in December and 78 (35 hour on oil) in September.

Since trend is positive (yet above normal) would you vote on pulling cylinders or fly more?

Don't do anything based solely on oil analysis.  It should be just one of many data points pointing you toward a solution. Oil analysis on its own is dubious at best.  

The metal you found initially in your filter sounds very normal as well.  Generally, our engines don't just seize up all of a sudden without warning, unless it's a fuel problem or your M20J dual-mag falls off the back of your engine.  Everything you're talking about will begin to add up over time and let you know when it's time to overhaul.

• Like 6

Following Andy’s thoughts above... (sage advice)

One of the things you can use to track power output...

Collect data using an app connected to a WAAS device...  I use a skyradar and Cloudahoy...

Collecting actual T/O distances, and climb rates is one way of determining the power being produced by your plane...

Yes stuff changes with temp and payload...Life isn’t simple... if it was, it wouldn’t be worth living...(somebody from my college days)

If you can’t get anywhere near book values, and they get worse with time...that is a hint that the valves are not allowing the engine to be breathing very well...

If the cam is getting ground down, a teaspoon of parts is sure to show up in the filter/screen...

The way the cam fails... it struggles with the hard surface layer... but, once it is worn through... it starts to shed larger lobe parts...

Often it is the cam follower that has lost it’s smooth surface... that starts grinding on the cam...

For oil to work as a lubricant... all the surfaces need to be smooth.. pockets, and points break up the barrier that the oil is trying to provide...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 3:32 PM, lithium366 said:

Since trend is positive (yet above normal) would you vote on pulling cylinders or fly more?

To be less diplomatic than Andy, who is spot on with his guidance, just ignore the oil analysis 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 12:32 PM, lithium366 said:

We take everything in context.  We've had higher numbers than yours but aren't planning on doing much other than keep an eye on it.

I actually called Lycoming and they essentially said that they would not be too concerned unless the iron count was over 100.  We also noticed that the more hours we put on the oil the higher our count so we adjusted our oil change policy.

We WERE using a policy of 50 hours or 4 months whichever came first.  We have since modified that to start trying to schedule an oil change with our mechanic once the oil hits 35 hours but stop flying if we can't get it done by 50 hours (our mechanic can usually get to it within a few days of our request).  We still use a 4 month cutoff too.

Plus, we take flying history into account.  Our plane sat for 30 days during the GFC500 install so we expected higher iron count in the next analysis.  Then it got the oil changed at annual but the annual took most of 30 days waiting on parts so we expect the next analysis to be elevated too.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Wanted to do a follow up. I did oil changes every 20 hours now and metal in filter was slowly decreasing. During the last oil change my mechanic checked oil screen and found a good amount of metal there but this was not very useful because we don’t know when it was checked last time. Now My bird is having an annual and my mechanic just texted me that he didn't find metal in filter and in an oil screen this time! 

• Like 9