Vinyl Detail / decals

12 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

A lot of "anecdotal" negative evidence...

Well, I really am not trying to be a pessimist. @StinkBug's C is vinyl striped, not wrapped from what I see. There are two issues here: vinyl striping and vinyl wrapping, the latter is in lieu of a paint job and is a more significant operation with potentially serious consequences. Of course, I suppose a strip of vinyl striping could peel off and cause issues, but I doubt that is going to happen.

From what @1964-M20E posted above, it looks like only the control surfaces are best left untouched--that makes good sense, why play with fate? I am going to hunt down that RV accident, I have a suspicion that ailerons got wrapped, not good. Paint is seamless, vinyl is not.

FWIW, I saw this as a way to make the aircraft a little more “what I want”, without forking out another 15k for paint right off the hop. 

Also, the A&P performing the prebuy suggested a guy to do the work. I’m 100% certain hes sogn iff on the works at the same time. 

Edited by CDNflyby

10 hours ago, HRM said:

Well, I really am not trying to be a pessimist. @StinkBug's C is vinyl striped, not wrapped from what I see. There are two issues here: vinyl striping and vinyl wrapping, the latter is in lieu of a paint job and is a more significant operation with potentially serious consequences. Of course, I suppose a strip of vinyl striping could peel off and cause issues, but I doubt that is going to happen.

From what @1964-M20E posted above, it looks like only the control surfaces are best left untouched--that makes good sense, why play with fate? I am going to hunt down that RV accident, I have a suspicion that ailerons got wrapped, not good. Paint is seamless, vinyl is not.

Look at the picture above of @StinkBug‘s plane everything red is wrap. Rudder and ailerones have wrap on them. He has not gone out of control and crashed his plane. I drive by his plane 2X a week and it has no signs of peeling off and it looks great, it works! I have 2 vehicle that I have wrapped. I have held a pressure washer on the wrap and it has not come off or get damaged. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

Look at the picture above of @StinkBug‘s plane everything red is wrap. Rudder and ailerones have wrap on them. He has not gone out of control and crashed his plane. I drive by his plane 2X a week and it has no signs of peeling off and it looks great, it works! I have 2 vehicle that I have wrapped. I have held a pressure washer on the wrap and it has not come off or get damaged. 

I stand corrected. No biggie, the more I investigate this, the more likely I'll wrap the Mustang.

I had vinyl stripes on my Cherokee, and I have to admit after ten years they were stating to look a little ratty.  That said, these were put on before the modern age of tiny wraps and may be an altogether different material.