windshield mod

While looking for a used Mooney, I have noticed some differences on the one piece windshiel modification. Some of the ones I have seen look "well sloped", while others appear more vertical. Is it just me, or is this a variable modification depending on who did it?

Rob

There are two different types of mods--one just replaces the two-piece windshield with a one-piece windshield of similar contour; the other installs a "201-style" windshield, similar (or identical, depending on the mod) to the windshield installed on the M20J and subsequent models.  The latter option is supposed to offer at least a few knots of increased speed in addition to aesthetics, but reduces access to avionics and other equipment mounted between the firewall and the instrument panel.

From my knowledge, and what you are describing, you have seen pre-201[J] models with the 201 "well sloped" windshield modification, which is a one-piece unit and requires some major metal modifications.

Other pre-201 [J] models may have a one-piece windshield installed, which requires no major metal modification.  This one-piece install only removes the center support strip from the former 2-piece installation. 

Examples: Access www.controller.com and search Mooney F and J models.  The non-modified F will have the more vertical style windshield.  The J will have the "well sloped" style.