Grass Strips

Supercop0184

As I delve into everything Mooney, in an attempt to learn as much about the aircraft as I can before making the purchase, I have a question I want to ask all you Mooney Professionals. I fly to several fly ins with grass runways. They are, what I would consider, well maintained runways. I just know that there does not seem to be just a whole lot of prop clearance on these aircraft. My grass requirements will be taxi-ing on the grass at Oshkosh north 40 every year, A Texas Fly In called Critters Lodge, A Texas fly in called Reklaw, and the Triple Tree Aerodrome Fly In. I am looking at M20Cs if it matters. Any opinions on this would be helpful! THANKS for all your help!!!

I've not yet been to Triple Tree, but only because of schedule conflicts or weather. I do visit other grass strips in my C, and know of other Cs that are, or have been, based at grass strips. If it's in good shape, it's not a problem. Taxiing and parking in GAC at the approach end of 9 for Sun n Fun wasn't a problem.

If you're curious what a C is capable of in the right hands, search YouTube for "piperpainter" and his red C, flying into backcountry strips with his tailwheel friends. Myself, I'm not that capable.

There's 10" of prop clearance, and I doubt the nose wheel shock discs will compress much over 1/2" unless you really slam it down. Just watch out for pot holes . . .

• Like 1

I've operated a C model off of grass for about 18 years....no problem, BUT not all grass strips are appropriate....caution is advised.  Taxi slowly and avoid the "bobbing nosewheel".

Our turf runway is home to several Mooneys....never seems to be a problem with the lower gear doors on the newer models....

A prop-strike is not the only issue when landing (or aborting a takeoff) on grass.  Getting stopped can be difficult!

The braking coefficient of wet grass is less than on snow (MU= .20).  I can confirm that this is true.  I think the FAA (somewhere?) advises to multipy your landing distance by 1.6 for wet grass.  Based on my experience, this is too low.  Depending on how wet and water depth, it might be closer to 2 X normal landing distance!

Edited by Mooneymite

A beautiful well groomed grass runway is no problem. I have damaged my lower gear doers taxiing at Oshkosh and landing at a grass strip in Minnisota somewhere. It was like clumps of grass.

You all can do what you want, but I'm tired of straightening them out. If I'm planning to land at a grass strip I'm not familiar with, I'm taking them off.

• Like 1

I guess my concern is more about a prop strike been the gear doors. Especially since the older models don't have a lower gear doors. I wonder what the differences in prop clearance are between a Mooney and a Cherokee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had a prop strike landing on grass. I have got grass stains on my prop at Oshkosh. If you are on dirt, you can expect to lose a little paint on your prop. If you have one of those beautiful custom painted props, I would stay on pavement.

Out here in the west, you find a lot more dirt strips then grass.

30 minutes ago, Supercop0184 said:

I guess my concern is more about a prop strike been the gear doors. Especially since the older models don't have a lower gear doors. I wonder what the differences in prop clearance are between a Mooney and a Cherokee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its the same or more than a 172

• Like 1

Also be sure to review your insurance policy exclusions.   Mine excludes unpaved or unimproved (language along that line, approximately, the key being the use of "or" instead of "and").  I don't mind right now, but this would be something that would need to be addressed if my flying habits change.   

• Like 1

Don't underestimate our mooneys. You have to be careful (watch out for insurance limitations and fly with an instructor familiar with the area)., but they do just fine. I flew out of a grass strip on several occasions and they are ok. Landings feel even "softer"...:+). I made a video that you may even enjoy about landing my mooney on grass.

Oscar

• Like 1

I've never seen a real insurance limitation against grass strips, but I've heard about an awful lot of them.

i don't have such a thing now, I didn't in the past, and my primary CFI made sure I landed their plane at a grass strip before my PPL checkride.

FWIW I bought my E from a guy who had his own 2500' grass runway, with a 1500' crosswind on top of a hill NW of Omaha. He had new discs put on it and used it as his cruiser back and forth to AZ. 

As long as the rain didn't saturate it too much , he could get out no problem.

No, tanks aren't leaking, knock on wood.

Pot holes are bad...

PiperPainter has demonstrated unimproved or little improved runways with his C.  More than once...

Even a full up O taxis around the North 40 or GAC at SNF.:)

No professional skills required.  Good practice greatly enhances your landings.

Best regards,

-a-

Well 1 inch is not that big of a difference in my opinion. I think I have less clearance than a Cessna on my current Cherokee. At Oshkosh I always grimace when I leave the runway and get on the grass. I think the only thing that would keep that grimace away is if I were in a tail dragger. lol 

I've measure my prop clearance and that of a 182 and it was about a 1/2 inch difference. Now if you have old donuts and old engine mounts you might have less. But you also shouldn't have those old and saggy! The M20C does great on non-paved surfaces. Also for insurance, you can probably save money if you choose no grass etc. But that's just boring. I pay less than $1000 a year and I have no exclusions listed that would impede me flying to whatever location I want. 

Edited by piperpainter
  • Like 1