Proper Procedure in the Event of a Loss...

This topic staying on the topic re: about when, how etc. do we critique the occurrence.

I utilize it as a  learning tool and along with the items people would do in similar circumstances. Reading over the many opinions like Houmans for instance provides quite a bit of knowledge and strong procedures for flying high which requires another level of knowledge his process helps me in preparing me and my plane for flight above 8-9000 feet.

i do not feel I'm being disrespectful to the pilot and their loved ones, I do offer my prayers and condolences to them.

that being said I try and hope all of us analyze the situation in an effort to better ourselves in a way your using his terrible event to maybe help save others in that way using this tragedy as a learning tool should be discussed asap while it's still fresh in our minds. I in no way mean to disrespect for the fallen ones and their loved ones in these situations.

• Like 5

This topic staying on the topic re: about when, how etc. do we critique the occurrence.

I utilize it as a  learning tool and along with the items people would do in similar circumstances. Reading over the many opinions like Houmans for instance provides quite a bit of knowledge and strong procedures for flying high which requires another level of knowledge his process helps me in preparing me and my plane for flight above 8-9000 feet.

i do not feel I'm being disrespectful to the pilot and their loved ones, I do offer my prayers and condolences to them.

that being said I try and hope all of us analyze the situation in an effort to better ourselves in a way your using his terrible event to maybe help save others in that way using this tragedy as a learning tool should be discussed asap while it's still fresh in our minds. I in no way mean to disrespect for the fallen ones and their loved ones in these situations.

Dan, well said. Those are my feelings exactly. Come next month, I've been flying for 49 years and during that time I've lost several friends and acquaintances in aircraft accidents. You can pretty much name the type of accident and I can associate a name and a face with it. (Thank God however, I've never lost a friend to hypoxia.) Each time it has happened it's like someone sucker punched me in the gut. This is a terrible tragedy for everyone involved. However, it would be an even greater tragedy if it wasn't discussed and if we didn't learn from it. How much greater would the tragedy be if, heaven forbid, someone here had a similar experience because they didn't know? Aviation is truly one field where if we don't learn from the mistakes and misfortunes of others we will be bound to repeat them. There but for the grace of God go I. Rest in peace.    

Edited by WardHolbrook
  • Like 4

It's my personal opinion that pilots talking to pilots about the circumstances leading up to a fatal accident and the causes of accidents and perhaps advice as to what could have been done to save lives is always good, so long that the effort is to educate ourselves and help save lives.  I think the limit comes when any of us speculates on the cause of the accident when there's not the slightest bit of evidence of the cause.  Guessing that the pilot died because he ran out of fuel when there was no evidence of that fact is just plain wrong. 

Sometimes well-meaning pilots speculate to the media or other non-pilots about the causes or circumstances of an accident, but because the public contains such a small percentage of pilots, even the truth can be misleading.  Such comments as "The pilot failed to file a flight plan." can lead a non-pilot to think the pilot made a mistake.  Even telling the public that the pilot took off into dense fog, can sound as a criticism of the wisdom of the pilot.  For this reason I think it's better to allow the media to deal with the authorities and the final causes as determined by the NTSB.

Preliminary information published by the NTSB is well within the realm of discussion for pilots talking to other pilots.  We all understand that new information can change how we think about an accident, but prompt discussions while much of the information is fresh in our minds can be quite helpful.  Whenever the NTSB includes word-for-word quotes of the pilot and ATC in a preliminary accident review the words are not likely to change.  No pilot plans to die, so every mistake made should be forgiven, but we need to learn from every mistake or possibility to save a life.

Throughout the thirty years I've been flying I have seen pilots that make many mistakes and live through them. Personally, I think we should also talk about those mistakes, even if it means talking straight to the pilot.  I knew a pilot who loved to "buzz" friends' houses and the beach and I told him not to do it or I would report him.  He hates me now, but no more buzzing.  Maybe I saved a life.

• Like 1