Alex's M20D (continuous thread)

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

I kind of talked the IA into it. Told him I would do all the dirty work.   Since he did not know me from Adam we kind of had to build the trust.   Luckily I showed up with my own mandrels to rebuild the flex brake line (thanks dad)

mandrels.jpg

It was 5 days and I was very sore after it.  In addition to the brake line, the added thing was replacing the front seal on the engine.   He made me pull the prop and then properly safety wire it going back on.   I showed up with a pre filled in 100 hour inspection and then on day 4 he sent me home with the AD list to do the homework on.  About 5 hours of homework and then another 2 hours going through it with him.

Sounds like a great guy to be able to walk you thru it all like that. Even better if he let you make your hoses. Keep him around! 

I bet you learned a ton during the AD research. 5 days is respectable. Sounds like it was a proper annual as any.

Nice work!

-Matt

On January 28, 2016 at 0:38 AM, Raptor05121 said:

Hahahahahaha!! This thread has gone off topic far enough. How about some pictures of my plane with air under its wings?

20160127_152756_zps8evvn2kg.jpg

I like that camera angle! So that's what a Mooney taildragger would look like.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Browsing the classifieds on aviation forums....scored a gem for a super cheap price. Previous owner didn't like this on his glaresheild mount and bought a window-mount to replace it, and had this sitting on a shelf. Retail price new: $350. So far I'm in $45 for the Mooney-specific bracket it mount it in place of the whiskey compass on the center post. I'm dropping it off monday.

20160430_154457_zps7d2rpdtv.jpg

In other news, I had a bug put into my ear today. My instructor lives next to my mechanic. He went over there today and said they already completed sealing one tank and are working on the other. They have been working on it for 5 days straight and are just knocking things out. Mechanic reports that it looks like there were 2-3 layers of sealant on top of sealant. Whoever tried to supress the leak did it without removing the old layer. The tail has also been re-rigged (or whatever term is used to take the slop out). I'm stopping by monday to get some pictures and see the progress first hand. I'm getting really anxious, I think I'm finally a week or two away from flying my plane. :D

• Like 3

I stopped by and visited the plane. Both of the wing tanks are opened up. It is obvious of the old ProSeal that has dry rotted and was flaking off. There were a few odds and ends cleaned up behind and in front of the firewall. Battery installed. Control tubes in the tail were overhauled, no more slop. I've got pictures, but I can't upload them from work. I'll get them up tonight.

Pictures from today:

20160502_134445_zpsjw0rpwmb.jpg

Found some relays that were angled improperly and chafing wires. He moved those to release strain. Concorde battery installed. Going to seal up the cracks in the dog house.

20160502_134344_zpst1iuqprx.jpg

20160502_134327_zpsemlq3pak.jpg

And the fuel tanks....You can see the light colored stuff that was cracking and coming apart, which was the source of the leaks. He is really adamant that someone has been flying this plane on ethanol auto gas.

20160502_134251_zpsvfh872mf.jpg

20160502_134302_zps3qwjoylc.jpg

20160502_134305_zpsjqhqu1vz.jpg

20160502_134313_zps2gs5z0i6.jpg

20160502_134453_zpsqawv4q7k.jpg

20160502_134501_zpsdua8phql.jpg

I just got off the phone with Dave Nolan from LASAR, I ordered the last accordian intake boot, $220.

3 hours ago, rbridges said:

wow, this thread is approaching 8 months.  Keep on keepin' on.  ;)

I'm 24, so money is on the low side, but I have a lot of time. This is the only practical way for someone my age to own a Mooney, IMHO. If this stays on budget, I'll have a safe, competent cruiser for only a few bucks more than $20k all together.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Raptor05121 said:

I'm 24, so money is on the low side, but I have a lot of time. This is the only practical way for someone my age to own a Mooney, IMHO. If this stays on budget, I'll have a safe, competent cruiser for only a few bucks more than $20k all together.

I think it's great.  The plane is getting some much needed attention instead of slowly falling apart.

• Like 2

I don't believe its an AD, but definitely something I'd think about.  I've been perusing the Mooney service bulletins fairly heavily for my M20C...

Because they aren't ADs, we don't have to do them according to Mooney's schedule, but it gives us things to watch to maintain safety.  

I notice another thing, Mooney doesn't have this listed under the M20D service bulletins (though obviously it applies), makes me wonder what else I need to find for service bulletins, etc.

Edited by cctsurf
Mooney's Website
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Thanks for that, do I see that correctly, 1968? I wonder why this wasn't done to mine earlier. I think I'll add this for next year's to-do list.

It's not about cooking hoses. Per the AD it's about the stressing the flanges on the cooler.  Engine/doghouse is connected to the engine mount, cooler is mounted to cowl. They can vibrate independently of one another. This can cause cracks in the cooler at the flange.  If it's been fine for the last 53yrs, it'll likely remain so.

• Like 1

Alex, where is your plane now (which air park) and where is home when you finally get this all done? I know this has been rough but keep at it. Future annuals will be much better now that you have fixed the years of neglect. Love your paint. I'm at Craig airport in Jacksonville. Sounds like you are near.

4 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

home base is Suwannee County

I was just there Monday afternoon with a PC-12.  Was planning on going into KLCQ but a cell was pushing east so I dropped into 24J.  We did a few RNAVs and engine out training, before a bunch of stop and goes.  I guess that larger aircraft don't normally go in there with a 4000' runway, because we had quite the audience from the county buildings near the end of 25. 

• Like 1

Hector, it is at Cannon Creek (15FL) in Lake City, and my home base is Suwannee County, 24J about 20 miles west of Lake City. I've been into CRG many times back during my primary training. We should meet up sometime. I hear SGJ has good food?

Your are very close! Should definitely meet up. I think the restaurant at SGJ closed down. Was just there yesterday getting cheap fuel but did not check on the restaurant. Still a cool place and we could get a ride into town. Closer to you its X60 (Williston). They have a restaurant on the field. Cedar Key is not bad either. Ocala has a restaurant on the field as well. Let me know if I can help you with something to get your bird up.

On 5/8/2016 at 9:30 AM, Hector said:

Your are very close! Should definitely meet up. I think the restaurant at SGJ closed down. Was just there yesterday getting cheap fuel but did not check on the restaurant. Still a cool place and we could get a ride into town. Closer to you its X60 (Williston). They have a restaurant on the field. Cedar Key is not bad either. Ocala has a restaurant on the field as well. Let me know if I can help you with something to get your bird up.

Yes for sure! I've been to CDK twice, never stopped in. Just a full-stop taxi back to say I've landed there. Pyper Kub is great (we were recently there for the Pork Roast). I haven't been to Ocala in a while, so that's on my short list but Flagler is my all-time favorite place to go.

Bump back on topic- the tanks are DONE! Just waiting for them to cure before we fill them up and cross the fingers. I'll try and get more pictures when I drop off my next package that is supposed to arrive, the rubber accordian boot that goes from the intake to air filter. I'm not sure of his work schedule, but this week, maybe next?!?