Alex's M20D (continuous thread)

Well my mechanic put her on jacks and rebuilt the entire gear system it feels like. Doors are firm as a rock, no more wobble in the nose wheel steering. Pulling the brakes apart, we found they have been assembled incorrectly whoever did them last. The brake discs need to be replaced, but they can last another year. As well as the main tires (seeing as I'll probably burn them out when I learn to land it).

The bad news is my mechanic had a family emergency and had to go across the country. He said he won't be back until next year. He gave me a 50% discount on the labor so far, so what he did was a little less than $1,000. The parts he acquired, he billed be at cost, and did not charge for cleaning and refurbishing them.

He called an IA out of Jacksonville that has a pickup truck and large trailer and he travels around and does mobile annuals. He has two A&Ps with him. We gave him a call, and using the list of discrepancies that he put in my logbook for the other guy to work off of, shouldn't take him but 1-2 days to finish it up. The problem is that is without touching the panel. My panel is still pulled apart, so that has to go back together. I'm taking the old MX-175 out and replacing it with the Narco 12D I pulled from my Cherokee.

This mobile mechanic should be around this week. After that it will be airworthy and I can fly it to get the panel done (Who knows how much that will cost...) and I still need to get the tanks resealed. All this needs to happen before I can even start flying it, so I probably won't be logging time until next year :(

Edited by Raptor05121

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new air filter installed, bought a new oil filter and a case of Aeroshell 100 to be done later. I am slowly cleaning up the wing inspection panels and replacing the countersunk screws with new (and anti-seize on the threads). I need to do the same with the sheetmetal screws on the belly/fuselage/cowling. Anyone know the specs to those?

Edit: Someone just told me its Truss Head Type A stainless T8x8 and T10x8. Seems like the right ones, I remember my mechanic telling me all screws on this airplane are 1/2". Can anyone confirm?

Edited by Raptor05121

Thanks, Calishere.

So I talked to my new mechanic. I've known him longer and really should have taken it to him first. We went through what my previous mechanic put in the logbooks and found out he lied of about half of it. Things he said he did but didn't. And now my new mechanic wants to come out and get it ready for another ferry permit for the 18 mile flight to his airpark to annual it. He says he needs to go thorough it, especially everything the previous mechanic claimed to do. The good news is he thinks he can stop the leaking tanks AND get my panel back together. At this point, I'm not too worried about the cost, I just want to fly my damned plane.

Edited by Raptor05121

23 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Thanks, Calishere.

So I talked to my new mechanic. I've known him longer and really should have taken it to him first. We went through what my previous mechanic put in the logbooks and found out he lied of about half of it. Things he said he did but didn't. And now my new mechanic wants to come out and get it ready for another ferry permit for the 18 mile flight to his airpark to annual it. He says he needs to go thorough it, especially everything the previous mechanic claimed to do. The good news is he thinks he can stop the leaking tanks AND get my panel back together. At this point, I'm not too worried about the cost, I just want to fly my damned plane.

Only 18 miles? Would it be feasible to put it on a trailer and haul her?

df

13 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I'm not sure how disassembling an aircraft, putting it on a trailer and dragging it through two cities is easier than putting the panels back on and a 10 minute flight?

They trailer helicopters every day. Just saying.

If I saw a clear path, no width issues, I would consider it as an option if the plane wasn't in airworthy condition. If all it takes is panels and paperwork, so be it. I thought the whole panel was out along with other issues.

The panel is out in the sense the radios are disconnected and some wires hanging. We will have to clean up the bare ends and tidy up, use a handheld, etc. But a day's worth of work will be enough for a ferry flight. My stress level ever since I came into this thing has been through the roof and I've been having trouble sleeping. Right now I'm more into the sense I want this guy to finish it up and just get it over with. I've tried to nickel and dime my way through it but I'd like to fly it before I die.

• 1 month later...

Yes, its safe to say I've seen every square inch of this plane. From behind the spinner to the wires that run to the back of the white navigation light. Finally I can report some progress:

The mechanic fabricated a new fuel line and installed it, so I was finally able to run the engine again. Most of the panels are back on, and the paperwork for the next ferry flight should be submitted today. Now we are waiting for a break in weather. My new mechanic said we should be flying by end of January, at the extreme latest. Fingers crossed.

1451403142585_zpswlgw3aho.jpg

1451482380588_zps5pfimxhu.jpg

• Like 1

Oh! and I need some help!

I cannot find the proper screws to install some of the inspection covers. The previous mechanic gave me a big bag of spare screws, but none of them fit. The previous mechanic took all the screws we removed and hes gone, so I have no idea where they are at.

The big massive "door" on the left empennage..... the avionics bay covers.....the tailcone and the round inspection covers that go to the tail. Anyone have any idea? Plane cannot move until everything is back on.

51 minutes ago, N803RM said:

The avionics bay on my F are camlocs, not screws and should be held into the panel.  the access panels in the tail are the same as the wing panels, the 2 panels that cover the tail moving section are small sheet metal screws.   Hope yours is the same.

Ron

<Jealous>...

You have cam locks on your avionics baY?  Nice.  Mine are 10/32 screws.  SS at that so the heads strip easily. :(

+1 on the cam locks for our D/C. Lake aero is closed till Monday but if you take inventory of the missing locations and call them Dan and Dave should be able to give you all the correct screws. 707 263 0412 is their number. That first mechanic was some piece of work. Hope it all goes back together soon. That's a real nice lookin D/C

I found and ordered this:

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/dd-m402.html

~$80 for a 1,100 piece kit just for early-60s C-models. I'll stop by HarborFreight and pick up a screw organizer to keep track of them. Thanks for the recommendations.

I still need to remount my panel and zip-tie any electrical connections out of the way. I'm going to see if the mechanic can come knock this out, and maybe fly it, tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
She's back together like the day she arrived, but I guess I can wait until my next day off to fly her (Wednesday).

20160125_183528_zps9p4txbat.jpg

Mechanic said 3-4 weeks before its all said and done (annual). The leaking tanks aren't getting any better so, Ryan, I'm probably going to be heading down that way for a strip and reseal before Sun N Fun.

When did you start all this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did. First mechanic screwed me over. Did half of the work and split town, leaving me with a $2,600 bill. As time progressed, I found out the things he said he did, he didn't. I'm chalking this as a learning experience and now have a permanent mechanic 20 miles away who will do it, but he wants to start all over, as he knows of the first guy and doesn't trust him either.