Alex's M20D (continuous thread)

While you've got it all apart, don't miss the opportunity to inspect the spar under the rear seat.  Even if there's no corrosion, you'll be amazed at how much dirt, grass, and other junk collects there. 

Edited by Mooneymite

While you've got it all apart, don't miss the opportunity to inspect the spar under the rear seat.  Even if there's no corrosion, you'll be amazed at how much dirt, grass, and other junk collects there. 

Step ahead of you. We have the plane completely opened up, including the rear seat inspection panels. The spar is completely free of corrosion. The only corrosion is on the aluminum panel under the cargo carpet, which we will be buffing out tomorrow follwed by zinc chromate. We sprayed down the aircraft from the rudder pedals to the tailcone with paint thinner followed by degreaser followed by a water hose. 20+ years of operating off a grass strip resulted in a lot of crap coming out. Dirt, debris, caked grease, etc. The entire inside of the aircraft is shiny aluminum now.

We've also determined the radar altimeter to be INOP. Also, the previous owner removed the ADF but left the loop antenna, so I removed those along with the wiring going up front. The transponder still has the original coax cable (which is similar to LMR-400 and complete overkill for a UHF signal) so I'll have my radio buddy whip up a length of RG-58 with BNC connectors to replace that old, heavy cable. I've probably pulled out 15+ lbs of old/inop equipment so far. I'm interested in putting this thing on the scales when we are all said and done and see how much lighter she is.

Today the plan is to clean off the fuel stains from the sender units, drain the tanks, and pull the units for repair before resealing the tank and bottom seam. Once we are all done inside, we will be fogging the aircraft with Corrosion X before reinstalling everything.

My work computer blocks Photobucket so I'll upload some photos later on.

Edited by Raptor05121
  • Like 1

The transponder still has theI've probably pulled out 15+ lbs of old/inop equipment so far. I'm interested in putting this thing on the scales when we are all said and done and see how much lighter she is.

I like your optimism! Did you weigh it before you started pulling stuff out?  I hope that the lost weight actually shows up on the scale.

Wowwie!!!   I am totally excited for you, sounds like she is gonna clean up real good!

I also saw the ad for 44U and thought real hard about it but the diagonal trip across the US quieted my desire.

I am going to drive 5 hrs next week to spend a couple days inspecting a M20E, asking about the same money,

seemingly about the same condition, and it has a fresh annual!

I will keep following along with your exciting experiences, and if things work as I have 

planned them in my mind, I will be starting my own, new owner thread!

Maybe we will meet next year at Oshkosh!!

We didn't weight it beforehand, but I'm also hoping it comes out with a good indication. Previous W&B was in 2004 when they installed the 3-blade, so with the stuff we removed, I'm optimistic. If I could get it to an even 1,010lbs useful, that would be awesome for a Mooney.

mpg, thanks so much. And yeah, I've talked to another gentleman that was interested in buying it as well, and the previous owner was talking to him when I gave my offer. I'm glad I got her home. It was a screaming deal. It needs a little TLC after being not cared too much for the past few years but I'll be flying a true-and-true Mooney for about $20k invested. Next year, interior, then after that, going after a 430W and cleaning up the panel. Engine overhaul after that if it lasts that long.

Edited by Raptor05121

The transponder still has the original coax cable (which is similar to LMR-400 and complete overkill for a UHF signal) so I'll have my radio buddy whip up a length of RG-58 with BNC connectors to replace that old, heavy cable.

RG400 coax is a much better coax than RG-58(silver plated vs tin, Telfon vs poly).  Its also double shielded. Some transponders even require a lower loss cable than RG400 if the run is very long. The Garmin 327 for example requires the loss of the coax to be below 1.5db@1090MHZ.  This limits the length to about 9 feet if using RG400. Longer runs require something like RG393.

Loss per 100ft @1GHZ

RG58 20db

RG400 14.7db

RG393 7.5db

Edited by N601RX
  • Like 2

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind,

I just got off the phone with Airtex, I have my carpet ordered. Per previous threads on here, I'm sending them a picture of my cockpit to make sure I get the nose-wheel carpet as well as the piece under the Johnson bar.

Post some pictures if you can. 

One thing that I do during annual is lay moving blankets across the wings to store all the removed pieces on. This will prevent an accidental "step" on a cowling cheek or kicking the spinner across the hanger floor.

• Like 2

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind,

I just got off the phone with Airtex, I have my carpet ordered. Per previous threads on here, I'm sending them a picture of my cockpit to make sure I get the nose-wheel carpet as well as the piece under the Johnson bar.

Be sure to have some double-sided tape on hand for the center carpet under the Johnson bar.

Well, bit done.

We sanded off the corrosion from the luggage compartment. We took out the ADF loop, which wasn't connected to anything. We removed the radar altimeter and remote compass. We re-ran the wires through a different path. And as we got to the panel, we found a nightmare,

The previous owner has been doing 18 years of changes with nothing more than his AutoZone rewards card. 14AWG wiring going to a block with wires spliced into it, covered with duct tape. Automotive in-line fuses on lights. Audio jacks not going anywhere. My IA was happy enough to pull out the spaghetti, rearrange wires neatly and label everything, but he won't reinstall it, he says electrical is not his thing. So now I have to find someone that can rewire the complete panel with new circuit breakers, etc. This just got really expensive. Then the news came on the tanks. We thought they were leaking from the senders only, but they are leaking all over. The plane has to be flown and get the tanks redone.

Moving on....

We cleaned out the entire belly. Lubed the zerk fittings on the prop hub. Spinner is ready to go back on. ELT battery is in, ELT tested and reinstalled. Air filter installed. Monday we plan to jack it up and he will relash the gear over-centers while I repack the bearings. He says he will also have a parts list of everything we need to order. Scat tubing will be replaced throughout. Hoses, clamps, little eyelets for the cowl flaps, etc. Pictures are uploading, I'll have them here shortly.

Edited by Raptor05121

New ELT battery

Screenshot_2015-09-11-13-06-56_zpsobsxga

Prop hub greased.

20150911_194115_zps2yqwbp9v.jpg

Corrosion be gone!

20150911_194057_zpsllkdvucr.jpg

Old ELT back in service. 406 next year.

20150911_194051_zpsj22knjyj.jpg

The spaghetti of automotive wires we pulled out. This is going to be expensive.

20150910_185352_zpskby9izmx.jpg

ADF loop, remote compass, and radar altimeter removed.

20150909_193128_zpsa5uiareb.jpg

And here I am inspecting the door and seating arrangement for the future mother-in-law

12006086_10153644214239640_1477869716659

Edited by Raptor05121
  • Like 1

You're really doing a great deed to society by returning that bird to its former glory!  Keep it up and don't add up the costs!

Yeah I knew this first year was going to hit me hard. I'm using just about all of my disposable income and I'm scraping by, but I think by next year, everything will be ironed out. I'm just hoping it doesn't take too long to get her in the air.

• Like 1

Yeah I knew this first year was going to hit me hard. I'm using just about all of my disposable income and I'm scraping by, but I think by next year, everything will be ironed out. I'm just hoping it doesn't take too long to get her in the air.

Save a little of that disposable income to fly it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Today we buffed out all the corrosion on the inside. The baggage compartment, rear seat, and floor are buffed shiny and then we sprayed Alodine on everything.

We also had an avionics guy come out and he is going to look into making a harness for everything that we can then hang in there, along with new circuit breakers. My IA suggested we get a piece of flat aluminum and convert the instrument layout to a standard 6-pack if we are pulling primary flight instruments.

Pics later.

• Like 1

Spinner is back on. Today I removed the sending units (which were 90% of my leaking problems) and cleaned everything out. The previous owner tried to stop the leak by covering the area in sealant, but his neoprene gaskets were dried up, causing the seepage. I cleaned both areas, and my mechanic cut out new gaskets with rubber-impregnated cork. Both units testing okay on the ohmeter. Reinstalled. Gas test later.

The glideslope receiver was bolted down on top of the nose wheel well, as well as the carpet. We removed that and from what I am told, the unit is supposed to be in the tail? So waiting on the word from the avionics guy, we will most likely be sending that to the back. My airtex carpet shipped today, and will be here on Thursday. I still need to order sound insulation. I took out the scat tubing running to the rear foot wells. I will begin removing the rest of the dry-rotted tubing out next. We also began spraying down zinc chromate. More work this weekend.

Sending units removed

20150915_103521_zpszy5a4dlt.jpg

Cleaning them up

20150915_110121_zps19vonrzz.jpg

20150915_110808_zpsv5vzys7m.jpg

Mount cleaned up

20150915_113637_zps0gef3n3o.jpg

20150915_105355_zps3owcmgye.jpg

New gaskets

20150915_105404_zpsbjl3ozpc.jpg

Installed (wiring attached after picture was taken)

20150915_143901_zps0yvzjnte.jpg

Rudder pedal covers removed. They were dry-rotted, tearing, and in general disrepair. We are looking to getting a new set made up to match the carpet and also keep the exhaust gasses out!

20150915_143905_zpsvtxuburj.jpg

Lets go zinc chromate!

20150915_143913_zpst3ks25dt.jpg

King KN75 removed from the horrible spot on the nose wheel well. Carpet removed. Prep work later.

20150915_143850_zpsat7gkyae.jpg

And while cleaning the belly strobe, Alex couldn't help but make a $130 mistake (anyone have a lens lying around???)

20150915_161052_zpshez7eutf.jpg

Spinner is back on. Today I removed the sending units (which were 90% of my leaking problems) and cleaned everything out. The previous owner tried to stop the leak by covering the area in sealant, but his neoprene gaskets were dried up, causing the seepage. I cleaned both areas, and my mechanic cut out new gaskets with rubber-impregnated cork. Both units testing okay on the ohmeter. Reinstalled. Gas test later.

The glideslope receiver was bolted down on top of the nose wheel well, as well as the carpet. We removed that and from what I am told, the unit is supposed to be in the tail? So waiting on the word from the avionics guy, we will most likely be sending that to the back. My airtex carpet shipped today, and will be here on Thursday. I still need to order sound insulation. I took out the scat tubing running to the rear foot wells. I will begin removing the rest of the dry-rotted tubing out next. We also began spraying down zinc chromate. More work this weekend.

Sending units removed

20150915_103521_zpszy5a4dlt.jpg

Cleaning them up

20150915_110121_zps19vonrzz.jpg

20150915_110808_zpsv5vzys7m.jpg

Mount cleaned up

20150915_113637_zps0gef3n3o.jpg

20150915_105355_zps3owcmgye.jpg

New gaskets

20150915_105404_zpsbjl3ozpc.jpg

Installed (wiring attached after picture was taken)

20150915_143901_zps0yvzjnte.jpg

Rudder pedal covers removed. They were dry-rotted, tearing, and in general disrepair. We are looking to getting a new set made up to match the carpet and also keep the exhaust gasses out!

20150915_143905_zpsvtxuburj.jpg

Lets go zinc chromate!

20150915_143913_zpst3ks25dt.jpg

King KN75 removed from the horrible spot on the nose wheel well. Carpet removed. Prep work later.

20150915_143850_zpsat7gkyae.jpg

And while cleaning the belly strobe, Alex couldn't help but make a $130 mistake (anyone have a lens lying around???)

20150915_161052_zpshez7eutf.jpg

Which strobe unit is it? Whelen HR unit?

Whelen SCAF "Comet Flash" with glass lens.

P/N to the unit is 01-0770030-01, P/N to the lens is 68-4230044-30. I've found the lenses for $180 by themselves, ugh.

Can't help. Sorry. I have the lense I replaced on my Whelen HR unit. Looks like a completely different unit.