Alex's M20D (continuous thread)

What does it look like? From my understanding, is the strobe unit and mounting ring are the same, most units came with a plastic "beer can" style lens. Mine is (for some reason) quoted as using glass for aerial sprayer units not to melt the plastic units. I might be able to change it out.

Sorry, I'm old. I fell asleep in my lounge chair. Good news, no drooling this time!

Here is what it looks like:

78881bfcb5d03cfdf9b4e749622b73cd.jpg

If this will fit you can have it or you can buy a new one for $31 from Aircraft Spruce. Mine is 20 years old, a bit faded and looks like it has a slight crack (not through completely).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The carpet company also supplies the boots for rudder pedals and J-bar...

low cost, not as nice as Aero Comfort.

watching this thread has been a reminder of how great communication has become.  My biggest challenge with my old C was the fuel tank leaks and nobody around to ask....

keep up the good work, Alex,

-a-

• Like 1

It might take a while

But anyway, more progress. I pulled out probably 10 pounds of crap from the previous owner. Trash in the seat pockets, old charts, I removed the tie-down rings, and the old Garmin 195 that was blocking half the panel. The intercom is a portable 2-place which is no use for me since I will mostly fly with filled seats, so that came out. A gentleman on the Mooney Pilots page on Facebook was selling a new PA-400ST 4-place intercom for $100, so I grabbed that. Ultimately, I plan to have a panel mounted intercom, but I just need something so the girls can listen for now.

I noticed the manifold pressure gauge was erratic and not displaying properly. And on the way in, the radios were going in/out. So that's another thing for annual. I'm going to talk to my IA tomorrow and see when we can pencil her in. I'd like to get it done ASAP but it'll probably be at least another 2 weeks before we get her in there, we'll see.

my mechanic fixed manifold gauge with a new copper tube replacing the aluminum tube that had corroded due to age. easy 90 dollar fix. I really like your plane.I have done a lot of upgrades on my m20e this year. keep the progress coming love to hear. Shawn

My mechanic said we should do that while everything is out. Right now I view that as a "want" versus "need". Right now I just want to get the airplane flying and then next year after I've rebuilt my savings, start tackling things like that. But it might get swapped, we'll see.

I know the feeling. Take care of what needs doing and get your airplane flying again soon. Get some time in it so you will have a better understanding of its needs and your wants. Hope it comes together soon

Shipment from Aero Comfort. Real leather, smells good. I just wish I had enough to make the rest of the plane smell like that. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to slide the 3" opening over a 5" long rudder pedal...

20150922_184959_zpsfpaufnsy.jpg

20150922_185253_zps3rojaoxv.jpg

I also found an aircraft salvage yard that had an inop strobe light so I scored the lens off it to replace the one I shattered on the belly. $20 is better to swallow than $180.

Edited by Raptor05121
  • Like 2

You will have to remove the pedals. There should have been some aluminum frames that the old ones were glued to.  You will have to glue the new ones to the frame and then glue and screw the leather and frame down to the floor.  I used black 3m weatherstrip adhesive to glue to the floor.  I used contact adhesive to glue the leather to the frame.

You will have to remove the pedals. There should have been some aluminum frames that the old ones were glued to.  You will have to glue the new ones to the frame and then glue and screw the leather and frame down to the floor.  I used black 3m weatherstrip adhesive to glue to the floor.  I used contact adhesive to glue the leather to the frame.

Yeah I took the old frames off. But the pedals? Eek!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

More presents. Glass lens is $180 new from Whelen, I paid $20 off an inop unit from a salvage yard. She cleaned up well. I also ordered a Jeppesen fuel tester. I had a generic model that looked like this but the plastic push pin broke and was crap. This thing is made of very thick plastic, metal push pin, metal screwdriver head (Mooney's oil and fuel doors are flat heads grr) and a ingenuous cup that stops fuel from splashing on your hand. Not bad for $11.

20150927_065033_zps6hy5bcjq.jpg

20150927_065042_zpswh4mjfbg.jpg

20150927_065057_zpshsacirl8.jpg

20150927_065120_zpsqvip2mxc.jpg

I also finally got a reply from my mechanic. He has ordered the parts we need and Monday we have plans to swing the gear, do what he needs to do, I'll repack the bearings, and hopefully have my friend put the Johnson bar boot on while we are able to unlatch and swing it freely. I need to order either carpet glue or double-sided carpet tape to install it, maybe we can begin reinstalling the interior. I also found some old vinyl in a light tan color that I plan on replacing the plad side panel carpet with, so it doesn't look so ugly.

• Like 1

If you are going to the trouble of redoing the side panels might has well go full on leather.   I used the same piece of leather for 3 burn tests and it passed.   http://mooneyspace.com/topic/15889-2-leather-hides/#comment-225380   It smells really good when you get into the plane.  I was able to do all the lower side panels and the baggage with one cow hide. 

Edited by Yetti

Give the crosspoint bit a tug and see if it is reversible.  It might have a common screwdriver head on the other end.  The blue collar might be threaded to cinch down and hold the bit tight.  Speaking from previous experience on a cheap alternative...

• Like 2

The previous owner put peel and stick in mine.  I think it helps.  My Mooney is not loud as hell inside.  I also have the thicker windshield.  I often taxi to the fuel pump with my Clarity aloft and talk to my passenger who haven't even put on their headset and we can hear each other fine.  I should take a decibel reading sometime.