Stranded pilot friend stuck in Atlantic City with a flat

Houman

Hi, happy memorial day weekend to all US Pilots.

I have a friend piloting my old Beech Sundowner stuck in Atlantic City NJ with a flat, can't find an FBO that is open to sell him a replacement tire or mecanic to help him change it since he dos'nt have any tools on the plane to do it.

I think it is the same 6 ply tires as the Mooney tires from what I remember from old Sundowner POH.

I'm trying to help him out with any contacts that you might have, that is willing to help him out. He is supposed to be at work on Sunday back here in Montreal and stuck in AC with the flat.

He was none amused by my suggestion of taking the nose gear and put it on the main and do a wheelie takeoff and landing :)

Thanks for any help !!!

Hi, happy memorial day weekend to all US Pilots.

I have a friend piloting my old Beech Sundowner stuck in Atlantic City NJ with a flat, can't find an FBO that is open to sell him a replacement tire or mecanic to help him change it since he dos'nt have any tools on the plane to do it.

I think it is the same 6 ply tires as the Mooney tires from what I remember from old Sundowner POH.

I'm trying to help him out with any contacts that you might have, that is willing to help him out. He is supposed to be at work on Sunday back here in Montreal and stuck in AC with the flat.

He was none amused by my suggestion of taking the nose gear and put it on the main and do a wheelie takeoff and landing :)

Thanks for any help !!!

We have at least one member of the NJ Mooney Owners group in Atlantic City. I will send the group an email to see if anyone can help out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Landing in Atlantic City is about $62 of fees these days affecting anyone flying into ACY. Landmark Aviation is the FBO and has a mechanic on duty 609-382-3993. This is Memorial Day w/e so availability may be limited but I'd call ASAP. He might also try Tom Grey at On Site Aero Services at Eagles Nest Airport 732-278-8201 20 miles or so up the road but anyone coming onto the airport will be carefully scrutinized. I'm tied up etomarrow but may be able to help out Sun Call me at 609-214-8272 and maybe I can assist if these other options do not work out

• Like 2

Try also KOBI woodbine 609-861-1300.

It's about 20 miles SW of ACY.

What a bummer! And I have tires ordered but haven't come in yet! I'd fly one to him in a heartbeat!

thanks to all, he just texted me saying he was on his way to the airport from the city, as the city is quite a ways from the airport and it was the local airport manager calling me to inform of the flat ( since last time this plane was in AC, I was the PIC ).

Hopefullly he has figured out a way to fix it, he willl text me and let me know, and I will update the thread. It is so nice to hear people willing to fly to bring him a tire, I would do the same if I had a spare tire and tube, even if I'm about 2h of flight away with the Rocket.

Thanks again to all...

Good news, it seems there were able to find someone to help at the airport and he was able figure out that it was the air valvue and not an actual flat, they did a temporary fix on it, they are departing tomorrow, so hopefully it will hold.

Thanks again for all the help !!!

• Like 5

As I was reading this thread, I was having flashbacks. My simular experience had me 10 hrs away from my family for the 4th weekend. In my situation the cause was the rubber shifted inside of the valve stem cap. I soaped down the tire to find leaks but none found. The tire only became flat when the cap was placed on the valve stem. May be good for everyone to keep this thread on your mind to help you in the future.

I too had a similar experience in my early days and learned the hard way about the perils lurking within tires that "look okay".  Chronic under inflation causes the majority of tire problems and can be eliminated with a cheapo gauge from an  auto parts store and an extra 90 seconds during preflight.  Keep a portable air tank in your hangar or car trunk and save that long taxi to the maintenance hangar that will inevitably be closed up tight when you are trying to get over the river and through the woods to grandma's house for that family get together, or crucial client meeting, or fishing trip.

Take it from me that you don't want to be stuck in a place like Barstow/Daggett CA over a long holiday weekend chasing down a tire, tube and air compressor.

Glad this one worked out.