Winchester, TN Mooney Accident, 18 April

wiguy

I Did comment at the start of this post and complimented pilot for what looked like a good job of not stalling out and flying into the crash. but 5 full grown Marauder sized adults. that is just stupid I don't care how much time you've logged. In fact someone with that many (debatable hours) should really know better. I guess it proves better to be lucky than good.

I disagree. At best, those five occupants were equivalent to 3 marauder sized adults.

• Like 3

flyuntgr..You got any crows down your way that you don't need?   guess I need at least one. hard to eat more than one at a time. My apologies for the post.  but in reality very few people know that when the pressleys do an annual it is always by the mooney guide out of the maintenance manual.   Pretty well covers everything.  Of course Don in Texas or Tom at top gun in California give you a much better warm fuzzy feeling and I'm all for taking them there.  as far as cleaning up and touching up a sitter, I see much worse mooneys sitting on the ramp being flown regularly.  For some who do not want the history of former belly damage there are still a very few early mooneys that are virgins and they can be found,  The customer that wants a nice one and doesn't mind a good repaired one for half price....

as far as 30,000 hours, have been doing this for more than 50 years so that is only 1600 per year. 135 per month  30 per week.  even at my age I invite anyone to come fly with me  for a week.  we will go to southern Lousiana and ferry a 231 to Virginia. 5?  then to southern California for a c model ferry to east  Tennessee. 15?  back to northern California to ferry another 231 to east Tennessee. 15?.  I ferry lots of them  for insurance companies to repair facility.  of course some of the naysayers will say that is only one week out of 52 but of course there are lots of short hops as well...if anyone is interested in getting in a few extra hours there are a few good ones that need to me moved.  my number is 423 231 3491.   again I apologize if I hurt feelings. not my intention.   Just too old to take time to analyze everything.

jerry

as far as 30,000 hours, have been doing this for more than 50 years so that is only 1600 per year. 135 per month  30 per week. 

"Only" 1600 per year, 135 per month, and 30 per week? As I've said, I fly for a living. I know what it takes to achieve that kind of flying time. Those totals year-in and year-out would kill a horse! Anyway, check your math. Over 50 years, those total to 80,000, 81,000, and 78,000 hours respectively.

even at my age I invite anyone to come fly with me  for a week.  we will go to southern Lousiana and ferry a 231 to Virginia. 5?  then to southern California for a c model ferry to east  Tennessee. 15?  back to northern California to ferry another 231 to East Tennessee. 15?

All of that one in one week? No thanks! Maybe with perfect airplanes, perfect airline schedules and perfect weather it would be possible.

I don't deny that you may be the highest time Mooney pilot on the planet, but I don't buy your claims of 30,000 Mooney hours. Sorry.

• Like 1

Holy Chit! I'm betting there was 1200lbs of flesh in that plane if not more. Selfies are the worst kind of indictment. Doing something stupid with a big stupid smile on my face is not something I would want saved for posterity.

I could not imagine that someone would be so incredibly stupid as to attempt something like this. It's just depressing. If this was ignorance on the part of the pilot, than he was not qualified to hold a PPL.

PIC and Pax.jpg

rear pax.jpg

That's a lot of cantaloupe to be smuggling in TN.

as far as 30,000 hours, have been doing this for more than 50 years so that is only 1600 per year. 135 per month  30 per week.  even at my age....

From someone who is about your vintage and been in aviation about as long, flying for the Navy, the airlines, general aviation, fractional, business jets....you name it, I find 30,000 hours hard to believe.  Not saying it's not possible, not saying it's improbably....just saying it's hard for me to believe.

90% of my flight time has been "officially logged" by either a third party, ACARS, or some other official time keeper.  I know what 30,000 hours means in terms of sacrificing other parts of life.  I have seen general aviation types bring their logbooks in for airline interviews and get busted for easy to spot "P-51 time" (that's Parker-pen time, for anyone not familiar with this term).  Too many of them call a trip around the pattern an hour when it was actually a tenth.  Perhaps it "seemed" like an hour.  While some general aviation types keep scrupulously honest logs, "some" do not.

30,000 hours in 50 years doesn't leave much time for anything else when you add in things like pre-flights, post-flights, transportation to/from the airport, much less a life with vacations, family events, etc.  In the Navy, a 100 hour month was nothing but port and starboard duty.  50 years of 133 hour months?  Month after month, year after year, for 50 years?  Hmmmmm.

30,000 hours over 50 years is really 50 hours/month...even that's a tough amount of flying to average over 50 years, but when you say 135 hours a month.....?

Call me "skeptical".

• Like 4

Maybe she was "workin' the ramp" and fell asleep in the bag compartment?

Maybe Alaskan should've kept going a few weeks ago when the ramp worker fell asleep in the forward cargo bay of a 737 and they took off with him in there? It's pressurized. It gets heated ... This could be a real "boom" for airline profits if this idea "takes-off!" I can hear the gate announcements already, "Now boarding zone Forward Cargo Compartment!"

Who are we to speculate?

(I only have Comm Instr Helicopter & Airplane SEL, ATP Airplane MEL, CFI, CFII, MEI, AGI ... a couple type ratings ... and a mere twenty-eight years and fifteen thousand hours or so ... so I don't really have enough experience yet to determine if it's ok to takeoff with people in the bag compartment?)

I flew a little freight, years ago; was around that "freight-dog" mentality. "Throw it in there, just balance it right ... It'll fly." Doing that with people instead of boxes never occurred to me ...

A couple things for sure, 1) I'll bet at least one person felt uncomfortable and wondered if it was safe? (But didn't speak up) 2) Medevac helicopter was dispatched, and that is never good, that means someone was hurt pretty bad. 3) At least five, but certainly family and many times that number of lives are now changed forever.

Poor decision making or not, my heart still goes out for them ... especially those who trusted in other's judgement. Hope they all are able to fully recover.

Bacon...

We might suppose they would have made it w/o the water in the fuel?

Maybe there were three different things that woulda gotten them.

-Sketchy airplane from a sketchy source.  Nope that didn't get them but it would have if it weren't for,

-Too many people in a C.  And heavy ones at that.  Nope that didn't get them but it would have if it weren't for,

-Water in the fuel.  Doh!

All I have to say about this whole thread is...

Uuuugh... Why does there have to be reports like this one every year in the NTSB files?? Hopefully the "pilot" that was involved with this wreck decides to take up blowing things up in his back yard as his new hobby. Seriously, if the "accident" "pilot" happens to be reading this for some reason, please, for the sake of GA, for the sake of humanity, don't ever fly again.

:angry: