Replacing cluster gauges

There is another thread on this but I thought I'd start a new one.

I found reference to a retrofit kit on the Mooney site for Mitchell gauges. I emailed Mooney and the local service center in Venice about that last night. Does anyone know what this is? How much it costs?

I also am getting the 337 from saber.

I would love to replace the cluster with a refurbished unit but I don't think they exist, I found a used cluster on a salvage site for 1k and I don't think that is a good idea. Other options are to send it out to Lock Have. For repair but that could wind up costing way more than it's worth.

Then I could drop 5 to 10k on a certified engine monitor but that just seems like an over improvement on my C. I lean toward the CGR30P but I don't think it can replace the entire six pack plus map, tach, and fuel pressure. For that is need the MVP50 and that would require major panel surgery and 10k all said and done.

Am I missing an option?

I just got my cluster back from Instrument Overhaul Service of San Diego (619 449-5565).  I'm afraid I cannot yet report on the quality of the work accomplished as it has not yet been re-installed but they were to have repaired the malfunctioning right fuel and oil temperature indicators.  I also asked them to inspect the remaining instruments to see if they would benefit from any work.  Cost was about $250.  I'll update one way or the other after the cluster's re-installed next week.

I just got my cluster back from Instrument Overhaul Service of San Diego (619 449-5565). I'm afraid I cannot yet report on the quality of the work accomplished as it has not yet been re-installed but they were to have repaired the malfunctioning right fuel and oil temperature indicators. I also asked them to inspect the remaining instruments to see if they would benefit from any work. Cost was about $250. I'll update one way or the other after the cluster's re-installed next week.

I used them about a year ago and they did a great job. Unit came back looking brand new. Only issue is related to the fuel gauges not reporting correctly but I don't think that's the cluster.

I went the turtle update route for the right side panel. What is the turtle update? It is slow. It is steady. It is incremental improvement over years until you get what you want. It was affordable. It does not involve all the eggs in one basket flat screen high dollar viewing. First I bought a used Gem 602 with EGT and Cylinder Temp probes. Next I bought an EI volt Meter. Updated Voltage regulator at same time. Then I bought an EI Fuel flow with fuel pressure. Then I bought an EI Tach and EI MP gauge.

Then I had a right side panel cut to install them along with a 696 dock. Had avionics bus installed and reorganized the breakers. Next I moved over to the pilot side and removed GEM installing a G3 that certifies primary the exhaust temp and MP. Redundancy on the fuel flow, oil temp, MP&RPM to the primary EI. All OEM crappy analog six pack gone except fuel quantity.

You asked...That was "another option". The pay as you go price and buying G3 sans probes with "trade in" made the "pain" of all the upgrades bearable. I now have a redundant panel that is certified primary with engine information on pilot side of panel.

I like it. It works well for my vintage bird. The CGR30P is an excellent option that was not available when I began my voyage. THAT would be a save your pennies and go solution that would seem to be worthy of expense...

When you reach the "end"...if you ever do on your panel...it is very satisfying. The increased safety, aesthetics, functionality...making it "yours" is pretty awesome and rewarding. No one has to like it, but you. You are flying behind it. Make it the best looking and functioning panel for you. Then look at the "before" genuine simulated authentic replica wood facia, horizontal spinning tape DI and shotgun "why did they do it like that" original starting point photo and smile...

How are we able to add a non certified engine monitor in a certified aircraft? I would like to add an engine monitor as well but I just don't know if I want to dump that kind of money into a C. What kind of savings are we talking with a non certified product? I know I can sell the place as it is for the amount I spent on it, if not a little more. When we start talking thousands in upgrades, I start thinking its better to sell for another plane. 

By certified I mean one that is certified to replace original gauges, the JPI 730,830 are not for example. As for savings, i refer to fuel savings by LOP and maintenance savings by knowing what your problem is (which cylinder, etc) instead of either not knowing or taking it to mechanic with "it sounds funny"

• Like 1

Par I agree that adding an engine monitor will not save me any money. With a carbureted engine I can't really run LOP and I already burn less than 7 gallons per hour with the speeds I fly so gas consumption is not my major expense. My engine is at 2530 tt and runs fine other than some oil burn. If I had a monitor I might feel more comfortable taking it further past tbo but I think if I am looking to fly on a budget, keeping the original mechanical gauges is the most cost effective option. Plenty of hours have been flown on aircraft with stesm gauges over the years.

I don't want to put anything non certified in because the. I have double the expense since I still have to fix the old steam gauges.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my cluster back from Instrument Overhaul Service of San Diego (619 449-5565).  I'm afraid I cannot yet report on the quality of the work accomplished as it has not yet been re-installed but they were to have repaired the malfunctioning right fuel and oil temperature indicators.  I also asked them to inspect the remaining instruments to see if they would benefit from any work.  Cost was about $250.  I'll update one way or the other after the cluster's re-installed next week.

Any update to how your cluster gauges work?  I will enclose a video of mine.  this was taken at 9500 feet somewhere between Van Nuys and Lakeland.  I know a loose ground wire can make these indicate all over the place but I am guessing that being that they all dance around it may be in the cluster itself....anyone know if an overhaul will fix the jumping around?

9500 feet 24 over 19 inches and 40 degrees F OAT....LASAR cowl enclosure plane power alternator....

see attached video

Any update to how your cluster gauges work?  I will enclose a video of mine.  this was taken at 9500 feet somewhere between Van Nuys and Lakeland.  I know a loose ground wire can make these indicate all over the place but I am guessing that being that they all dance around it may be in the cluster itself....anyone know if an overhaul will fix the jumping around?

9500 feet 24 over 19 inches and 40 degrees F OAT....LASAR cowl enclosure plane power alternator....

see attached video

Definitely better than in your video.  Weather and other factors have delayed the x-countries and other hops I'd planned over the past couple of weeks but a few brief local flights confirm that the oil temp indicator is functioning perfectly again.  The right fuel quantity indicator is better than it was but I think it's still going to report an optimistic level though it does look like it will now show empty which it would not before; at least not without vigorously tapping repeatedly.  The fuel gauges react as yours do in the video but the remainder are rock solid and indicate credible values.  Headed to AZ for cheap gas and lunch tomorrow.  I'll let you know if I'm disappointed. 

So far, I'd say it was worth the $250 and the whole cluster was yellow tagged.  Had getting the cluster off to them not been delayed during the annual, I'd have requested an overhaul instead of inspection & repair of each of the instruments to better ensure that they might all give better service for longer.          

• 3 months later...

Thread resurrection because it's time to do something about my oil temp gauge in the Garwin 169 series cluster.  A web search showed that Sigma Tek owns that product line.  I contacted customer support and they told me they still manufacture the modules and the back plane.  I just sent in the part number for my oil temp and fuel level gauges.  I'll report when I get a quote.

Hopefully new modules can be sourced at a reasonable price.

Also, contacted Kelley Instrument, and they said they can service them.

Geoff

Price is right. I just dislike the analog gauges. The voltage gauge lack of deflection/warning caused me grief. There are digital solutions that are so much better than the old six pack. You win my CB old-school of the week award. NOT slamming, just say'n...