Another,, "Should I buy this Mooney" thread

Your numbers are pretty close to what I budget. I figure around $180 per hour based on a 100 hours per year. Some years, it is a lot worse and some a little better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We often do much better. Last year my MX took $500 cash (we finished 2 days before his vacation) for the annual and we had about $1200 in misc parts. This year will be more typical As well as costly. We are replacing the nose gear with a rebuilt unit from LASAR and doing new heim joints and piano hinges for the gear doors. I try to R&R whole component groups at a time. I've been deferring the gear doors (which don't quite close the way I want them) until we were ready to completely do the gear.

• Like 1

If you dont really understand ADS-B and no matter how much you study,,,

you still dont!!!   Understand,,,    

Hint,,,,If you fly VFR only and under 18,000,,,,  

I dont think you need it!!           Tell me when someone would,,,,   Need it!

I wish it were that simple.  Unless you want to tootle around in Class D, G, and parts of E, you limit yourself to where you plan to go. You're buying the best, most economical X-county ride and won't be able to go everywhere your bird can take you.  The "VFR and under 18,000'" isn't completely accurate.  

My grandkids live in the middle of DFW's Class B so, yes I need it.  I also own a 1946 Cessna 140 for which I  keep for puttering around D, G, and E, but will never see an ADS-B out installed.  If your mission is to never fly anywhere other than VFR and never anywhere where you cross A, B, and C, then is a Mooney really what you need?

I wish you the best of luck, the hunt for the right plane can be fun, hair pulling, and fraught with peril.

Don

I never add up what it costs me to fly.  If I did, I might never own an plane.  I keep telling the wife that it's cheaper than a mistress, but I highly doubt it.  And buy a plane isn't like getting married...I have 1 (three actually) and she doesn't mind when I fly or look at other planes.  But look and another woman and you get the stink eye from the wife...lol

• Like 1

I never add up what it costs me to fly. If I did, I might never own an plane. I keep telling the wife that it's cheaper than a mistress, but I highly doubt it. And buy a plane isn't like getting married...I have 1 (three actually) and she doesn't mind when I fly or look at other planes. But look and another woman and you get the stink eye from the wife...lol

At times I wish I never did track how much it cost me to own an airplane. After 24 years of ownership, I could not only have bought that island home, I could have bought the friggin island! :)

• Like 1

At times I wish I never did track how much it cost me to own an airplane. After 24 years of ownership, I could not only have bought that island home, I could have bought the friggin island! :)

I live here up near the st lawrence seaway - you know "Thousand Island" region.  (You have heard of the famous "Thousand Island" salad dressing, right?)  There are ALOT of islands that are like 800 sq ft islands with a little house on it...and just enough extra space to put a chair in front of the house.    Very funny.  Look it up online the realestate around there and you will see some of these mini islands with a house on it.

....but then you'd have no practical way to get there ;)

• Like 3