Emergency Services surprise

chrisk

I had a surprise visit from Emergency Services yesterday.  I was flying into KAEX.  About 80 miles to the north west I deviated for some weather, and about 50 miles out (where the green turns to blue), I called and let ATC know I was again direct to KAEX.  ATC acknowledged it.     At 20 miles out, I started calling ATC, as I had 6000 feet to loose.  and no response.    At 15 miles out, I called the tower.  And they just gave me the ATC frequency I was using.  At about 10 miles out, I used the Approach frequency on the plate.  Finally I got some one.

I thought all was well.  I landed and got directions to the far end of the field for the self serve pump.  Just as I'm getting ready to start the pump, emergency services rolls up with flashing lights.  Apparently the loss of communications caused them to be called out.  I just found it odd.  My daughter enjoyed the moment and I'm sure it will make for a good story.  Has anyone else had this happen?

post-9008-0-82227600-1426777643_thumb.jp

P.S.  It was just rain.  Nothing that was convective.

I was on the way back from Florida one time and had to deviate to Jasper, SC for stuff hung up in the mountains sometime well after midnight. My friend and I were sitting in their large rocking chairs possibly eating a pizza and the police rolled up and said, "someone's looking for you." I was on flight following and had notified ATC of my deviation, but I had forgotten to call FS and let them know.

Yes, if you lose contact with ATC, even on flight following, and they can't confirm your location they will typically send someone to look. This happened to me on a flight from Atlanta to Sylva, NC. I was just on flight following, but as I got into the mountains (Sylva is a cool mountaintop strip west of Asheville) we lost communications and radar contact. I just landed, but a few minutes later a Jackson County sheriff pulled up and just wanted to make sure everything was okay.

Same for me - diverted due to door opening in cruise (Bonanza). Could not hear ATC on the radio due to background noise. I canceled flight following  and diverted to nearby airport. FBO was called and asked to check on us. They asked if we were OK and told us the Sheriff was on the way. I took off before he showed up. On take off, had to speak to a supervisor before they would link me back on flight following. 

Diverting is what seems to set them off. I always get bump to higher level supervisor and have to give a specific reason after a non weather related diversion. One day, I want to divert and just give the reason "for the heck of it" and see how they handle it. 

I'm based at KAEX. I hope they were friendly and accommodating.

Yes, they were very nice and kept telling me I was not in trouble.  They seemed very friendly. 

Anyway, I called the tower to chat with them today.  They were nice too.  The roll out was because of a loss of radio contact.  It was an IFR flight, so the response time is apparently pretty good.

This is why I teach to listen to 121.5 always.  If you loose coms, FSS, ATC, and even airborne aircraft will try and get you on that frequency to give you the new frequency.  I know it can get annoying at times with all the guard banter going on.  The flavor of this week is "Work Work Work Contract Work Work Approaches."  If you haven't seen Living the Dream, here is your chance.  A lot of pilots are quoting this on guard.