why oil in the nose wheel well?

RobertE

I've got an '81 M20J that, since its purchase a few years ago, has a nose wheel well that shows evidence of engine oil having coated the various struts and components in there.  It's black enough to be from the engine with use, not an intentional spray coating.  I figured it was nothing - maybe spray from the breather tube - but looking at the location of the breather tube I wonder if that could possibly explain it?

Is this a condition that others have?  Anyone got any idea what might be the source?

I don't have an oil consumption problem.  The amount of oil that seems to have gone in there is about an ounce or so.  But it's fresh enough that I suspect there is some continuing source.

Thanks.

Did you have an oil change done recently? When removing the filter, if not drained, it could drip and find its way to the top of the gear pucks, puddle there and then when gear is retracted it finds its way out. On my E, I also get a light coating of used oil that I attribute to the vent and the lower pressure in the wheel well.

• Like 3

There should be no oil in the wheel well or leaking in the engine compartment. In many cases oil in the wheel well is from careless oil changes allowing oil to run down the firewall, then behind the lower firewall extension covering the steering Tee.

Clarence

I had the same thing and my A&P saw it at annual and made it a passion to find and fix.  Turned out to be a loose fitting on one of the prop governor hose fittings (the 45 deg adapter where the hose connects to the governor, was loose on the gov side).  Was not easy to find.  He wrapped paper towels around various hoses and connectors then we would go fly for a while.

After we found it, flew 2.5 hrs without a drop !

BILL

@N4352H just had this come up. It's hoses leaking and any Mooney expert shop will know what it is right away and fix it for you. Its a common issue with the M20J. It will leak after flight but not after sitting for days, correct?

• Like 1