Leaking tanks in my 76 c model,,,,, now what?

Bryanmooney

I have a 79 model with tanks that after having not flown for about five month one tank has lost about 70% of its fuel and the other 20%. Last annual they changed the sending unit seals but now it smells in the cabin again. It seems like it may be leaking on the outside too. --not sure though. 

So now I am out of annual at my hometown airport with leaky tanks. I have the plane listed for sale but I dont know if I am really dead set on selling it. Bladders as I understand cost about 10k. I would really like to avoid spending a ton of money. The plane is only worth 37k. So is there a solution to my problems via sealant? Who does sealant well? I am in East Tennessee out of annual and have not flown for 6 months so the logistics concern me.

Thanks for any advice,,,,,

5 mo is a long time...some could have evaporated.

There is a leak down chart. Describes the various leakage allowance. Pictures help too.

I would get a ferry permit and take it to a place that can do the annual. Then worry about the tanks.

-Matt

I had a leak in my right wing. The local mechanic at M01 DeWitt Spain Airport in Memphis fixed it for a few hundred bucks that was almost two years ago. Still no leaks.

He is not a Mooney specific mechanic but has been maintaining a few Mooneys along wif 15 airplanes for the flight school here.(its actually a certified Cessna Service center)

The name is Downtown Aviation (901)354-3001 and the mechanics name is Matt. His personal cell number is 901-497-5063

I hope this helps.

Here's a question, if anyone knows. How often do you other Mooney owners have to reseal your wings? What does it cost on average?

(Don't mean to hijack your post...)

Use the search function and you will find lots of info on this topic! It can last decades if done very well and it can cost $3500 per side and up depending on your model for a complete strip/reseal. You can get it done cheaper as well depending on where you go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here's a question, if anyone knows. How often do you other Mooney owners have to reseal your wings? What does it cost on average? 

(Don't mean to hijack your post...)

When Wet Wingologists revealed my 1970 model in 2010, he said there was still a good amount of (crumbly) original sealant, but it showed signs of patching over the years.

Some people here have original, unpatched, leak free sealant that is 30 years old.