PLEASE HELP .Gear warning Circuit Breaker pops in transit

I have a Mooney M20J-201..I have just purchased the plane and I am having some issues with the Gear Warning Circuit Breaker pops while the gear is in Transit, doesn't matter if the gear is going up or down.. once the travel is complete I can reset the breaker and all the lights work. I also notice the gear unsafe light never comes on.. maybe its because the breaker pops.

Mooney said re-rig the emergency disengage cable to ensure it is not partially out.. I did that with no luck.

I have the Maintenance and Parts manual but no wiring schematic..

Any Ideas?

Thanks!!

It's the gear warning, not the gear motor, correct? Several ideas. First see if the breaker is easier to pull than another one with the same rating. My stall warning breaker kept popping and found that the breaker was defective.

If the breaker isn't the issue, then it sounds like some kind of short. Hopefully someone has more definitive suggestions,

Where are you located?

I don't own a J, but my humble A&P opinion says that you have a short in the "gear unsafe" part of the system.

Basically, it sounds like the gear is in transit, so the unsafe light tries to come on, shorts, very high amps flow to ground which then pops the circuit breaker. Once the in transit is complete, the unsafe part of the circuit is bypassed, so no more short and no more breaker popping.

Hopefully someone can post a scan of the landing gear part of the electrical system so you can troubleshoot.

Please provide your year and serial number. Some subsystems can vary by year and serial number.

• Like 1

My "gear unsafe" panel light is on the entire time that the green "gear safe" light (i.e, down and locked) light is off. It's one or the other. The mechanical floor indicator has three markings: green Gear Down, red? Gear Up, and red and white stripe while the gear is moving.

What's different about J gear lights? What light is on when "all lights work"??

My Serial Number is 24-1031 and mine only has the two lines with Green in the floor, I was suspecting something in the gear unsafe side, I just have to call mooney tomorrow and try to get the wiring schematics for that. Mooney was certain that the latch in the floor wasn't rigged properly but it has been totally re-rigged and that didn't seem to help anything. Thanks

I am located in Birmingham AL 

Please don't discount the breaker. They do wear out. I have replaced 3 so far for not holding their rating. A lot cheaper fix than tracing through all of the wiring looking for a chaffed wire or bad relay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In my installation, the "gear unsafe" is on the same circuit as the micro switch that detects when the throttle is fully retarded. It's on the top of the engine. One of the wires to the switch had chaffed( they're small white wires). Simple fix. I've also heard the same wires will chaffe going through the firewall.

PROBELM SOLVED!!!

I traced the wire from the Throttle micro switch up to the Annunciator panel and found where it goes around the back of the annunciator panel was rubbing and had created a direct short to ground. so the wires was repositioned ... and no more issues.

Thanks to everyone for there help.

• Like 1