A Short hop

Wildhorsesracing

Two thoughts come to mind...

The belly cam is my favorite view. Great forward visibility. Minimal prop interference.

The paint on the belly is cleaner and shinier than any C I've seen before!

Nice work, Jim!

Thanks for sharing your area of the planet.

Best regards,

-a-

The camera(s) that I use are Replay XD 720's - we use them in our racecars all the time to record a driver's session in our racing schools.  They are relatively inexpensive (0.132 AMU's) and are available thru Amazon and various other places. (http://www.amazon.com/Replay-XD720-HD-Video-Camera/dp/B00BC5JRS8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401734832&sr=8-2&keywords=replay+xd+720p )  They come with strong 2 sided tape mounts (buy extras) and can easily be placed almost anywhere.  For this video I put one camera on top of the aircraft just above the windshield and the other on the belly.

I am going to play with more locations for the cameras, stay tuned for more.

BTW - the reason you only see the takeoff from the belly is because by the time I landed the camera lens was covered in a light film of oil... ;)

I took a short hop yesterday as well.    It was IMC, about 500 overcast at o69 when I departed.   Flew the departure and then to STS as an entry to the RNAV13 approach to DVO.   Back into the clouds, visibility zero at the MDA of 1000' there, so via published missed to the hold at SGD and then a vector to JIVLI for the RNAV29 back into o69 where the conditions had improved to 700 overcast and more than 3 miles visibility so no problem on the LPV approach.    All that was normal.   But when ATC handed me over to local CTAF frequency there were two 'VFR' planes in the pattern at o69.  Rather, they were flying the normal traffic pattern but at half the normal height.  I was (1) annoyed at the illegal activity and (2) reminded that we have to watch out when descending out of the clouds in to non-towered airports.       

What a great area to fly. Looks like a variety of lakes, mountains and beautiful rural country.. My view is generally brown, dark brown or light brown crop fields. Great video..Oh yeah, clean belly :D 

• Like 1

Jerry, I wonder why ATC did not advise you about the VFR traffic.  He may not have been talking to them, but they most likely had VFR transponder codes on?

ATC handed me off about 7 miles out with a "no traffic observed between you and the airport" comment.   So maybe no transponders were in use.  The airport is in a bowl below a 2500' ridge so ATC may not see much especially of low-flying traffic.  

What a great area to fly. Looks like a variety of lakes, mountains and beautiful rural country.. My view is generally brown, dark brown or light brown crop fields. Great video..Oh yeah, clean belly :D

We live in a great area, lots of beautiful scenery, a one hour flight west to the Appalachian Mtns or a 90 minute flight to Kitty Hawk.

• Like 1