Deleted

Outstanding!  I especially love the interior and have a similar treatment in mind for mine as well.  I'd like to hear how you like the tan glareshield, though, versus black.  How did you color the console?  Paint or leather/vinyl/ultraleather covering?

Looks very  nice. Just wandering why you chose to NOT have the standard 12" registration number.

I am not sure what the regs say (I believe there is a distinction between certified and experimental). 

I think to cross a border you need to have the 12" registration, but don't quote me on that.  

Byron is right, small numbers are fine on our vintage aircraft. If you want to travel out of the country, just use some vinyl tape and make a 12" set, or visit your local sign shop and have vinyl numbers cut out. Personally, I think the big numbers disrupt the look of many paint jobs. Someone here has their N-number mostly transparent to the base color with light shadows, hard to see but perfectly legal, and leaves the plane looking good. Foot-tall numbers would cover up much of the attractive striping on this plane.

Anything older than 30 years does not require the 12" N-numbers, only 2".

Byron is right, small numbers are fine on our vintage aircraft. If you want to travel out of the country, just use some vinyl tape and make a 12" set, or visit your local sign shop and have vinyl numbers cut out. Personally, I think the big numbers disrupt the look of many paint jobs. Someone here has their N-number mostly transparent to the base color with light shadows, hard to see but perfectly legal, and leaves the plane looking good. Foot-tall numbers would cover up much of the attractive striping on this plane.

Is there any filing or notification required? Just do it if over 30 years old? I thought one had to apply for a waiver for "antique show" status. What's required?

Be careful with "temporary" vinyl numbers. I had a paint shop make up a "removable" set of 12" numbers as I had my prior monney painted with the 3" numbers. This was for

one of my first flights out of the country, and when just prior to leaving the Cayman Islands for Florida, I dutifully unrolled them, and pressed them in position

on the fuselage. Sitting in the customs box at Key West, my US POE, I noticed the customs lady frowning at me. When she indicated I could get out of the aircraft, I

found that all the numbers had peeled off, with many of them (or parts of them) stuck to the horizontal stabilizer. She gave me ten minutes to fix the problem, so I

salvaged what I could, and then used blue masking tape to complete the job. As soon as I returned to the West Coast, I had a (different) paint shop paint on 12" numbers.

When painting my current aircraft, I had ArtCraft just paint a two color shadow (gold and silver, the same as the stripes) outline over the base paint color. In my opinion

this minimizes the "billboard" aspect of large numbers, and thus far no one has challenged their conformity with the "contrasting" color requirement for numbers. I have had

her in and out of the U. S. and Customs never said anything about them. They are certainly readable.

post-7730-0-93326200-1368482346_thumb.jp

I like what you did, Bennett, and believe that is perfectly legal.  Also much easier to read than many I've seen with a stripe running right through the numbers.  

I too chose to "bury" my 12" numbers in the base color so that I would have clean lines with my paint scheme.  I'm happy with my choice.   :) 

Scott, your numbers are even more "buried" than mine, and moving them forward by raising your color line makes them even more readable, with less curl under. I really like the way the way

that the Mooney fleet is becoming more individualistic, at least with paint. Nothing wrong with the factory schemes, but Mooney owners seem to be more willing to make modifications than

many other brands(B, C, and P). This was even more apparent in the good old days when the MAPA conventions at Kerrville brought out hundreds of Mooneys, and it was hard to find any that were factory stock.

I'll bet there is a lot of crossover with Mooney owners and Harleys. My first bike was a Harley 74 with the side suicide shifter, complete with leather saddlebags and more chrome than I

would be willing to polish today. A poll of members might be interesting (also polling the crossover with sailors).

Anecdotally I think there is a lot of crossover with pilots/planes and boats and motorcycles.  I have a BMW motorcycle, but no boat.  I don't have any desire to ever own one, but if at some point I found myself living on or very near some nice water, I could see myself with a small sailboat, but otherwise I have no desire to jump into that hobby.  The motorcycle is fun and practical... owning a boat is, well, not.   :D

Certainly you, Bennett, Craig and Jezzie will in the final 4!  

Thanks for the info.  I've got black wing walk (didn't even occur to me change it at the time!) and on the next interior refresh I think I'll keep my glareshield black, but cover it with something nice.  Currently my yokes are leathered by Aero Comfort and I did my door handle as well. Seat belts are newish and black too, so I don't mind some black accents.  I might do two-tone seats with black insets surrounded by tan.  Instrument panel is currently original '77 black naugahyde, but I want smooth tan on the next iteration.  I love the tan console, though, and hope to duplicate it.

I actually think our group is a bit larger - especially when you consider the avionics upgrades that some of the forum members are posting. I hope you enjoy your

aircraft as it is now as much as I enjoy mine. Like they say: "You can't take it with you", so enjoy the pleasure of a truly custom aircraft. I wish I had thought of

having the console painted the same color as the panel. Dang! Now you have given me another project to think about :)