Rudder pedal Extension - Pro's and Con's

FlyDave

Well, I don't suppose I could reasonably hope that this paragon would have been located any closer to NC than Ontario! And so, the search goes on, for somebody near-ish, who LIKES Mooneys, and doesn't mumble ugly threats against my beautiful bird every time he skins his knuckles.

I see the aluminum clipboard is a very important safety factor. 

My head is not very close to the headliner.  Maybe it is the angle of my seat.  I just found it good as the previous owner left it.  It may be adjusted in a slight recline.  Reclineing to the next adjustment may change things alot?

Amelia,  I do not have a 30in inseam.  Most jeans only come in 2 inch increments.  The 28 inch size are 1/4 inch short.  No I am not a "little people".  But, when people look at me, sometimes I see it in their faces, they are not sure.  Wink

Quote: Amelia

Well, I don't suppose I could reasonably hope that this paragon would have been located any closer to NC than Ontario! And so, the search goes on, for somebody near-ish, who LIKES Mooneys, and doesn't mumble ugly threats against my beautiful bird every time he skins his knuckles.

Amelia - Thanks for making the drawings available! My mechanic (and his helper) complained for 2 years about mooneys BEFORE I bought a mooney. He maintains 12 or 15 Mooneys of varying models and when pressed, his helper said "are you buying one with the "long windows"?". When I replied yes, he was glad. I thought that was funny aspect of the plane to key in on...."long windows".

I changed the oil in my Mooney last weekend and, aside from trying to find a torque wrench that could fit between the oil filter and the firewall, I didn't find it too much tighter than my Cherokee. (Oh, by the way, Anyone looking for a Great (mechanically) Cherokee? It needs paint and interior but has a VERY stong engine, is in EXCELLENT mechanical shape and is priced right at $18K w/full IFR instrumentation. PM me if anyone is interested...I know, it's not a Mooney and I don't mean to "soil" the board.

Ned - Thanks for digitizing the drawing also!

• 5 years later...

I've recently had the 3" extensions installed in my '77J.  The installation has cause the pedals to be rotated so the top is further aft.  This is very uncomfortable to fly as I have to really point my toes out to stay on the pedals without tapping the brakes.  The A&P insists there was only one way they could be installed.  Has anyone else had this issue, or know of a solution to this issue?

I have a set of the 3" extensions sitting on the shelf. I removed them when I purchased the Mooney. I'm 5'10" and just didn't need them. I've also got all the 337's on my plane and there isn't one for the peddle extensions. FWIW.

If anyone wants them, PM me and make an offer. I've got no use for them.

I've recently had the 3" extensions installed in my '77J.  The installation has cause the pedals to be rotated so the top is further aft.  This is very uncomfortable to fly as I have to really point my toes out to stay on the pedals without tapping the brakes.  The A&P insists there was only one way they could be installed.  Has anyone else had this issue, or know of a solution to this issue?

It bothered me a little to start with but I got used to it. I perfer that to be sitting to close to the panel/yoke. It can be adjusted some with the rod end on the master cylinders, but don't get the bellcrank too for off its center of movement.

I never saw this thread before. I think I joined after it finished. Does anybody still have the digital plans for the 1.5" extensions? I have thought I might like those on my plane since I've owned it and I've always heard how it's a pretty easy DIY project. If anybody has a copy of the plans, I'd love to have a copy.