M20C Questions from a Potential Buyer

Hey everyone! New to the forum here. I'm interested in a Mooney M20C. I have a few questions that I'm curious about that I can't find online. 

1. Is there a gear horn/warning if the gear isn't down? If so, how is it actuated?

2. I've seen the interior of the plane in pictures but haven't sat in one. Can an average sized (say less than 200lbs and shorter than 6ft) fit in the back seat for short trips? I'm 5 9 so I would probably have the pilot's seat pulled pretty far up.

3. Most of my time is in a 172. I always raise the seat all the way up and forward. From what I understand, the Mooney seats are pretty low. Is it that huge of a difference?

I think that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions coming up soon.

Thanks!

The gear horn is actuated by a switch on the throttle if the gear handle is not in the downlock receptacle (manual gear). When you pull the throttle back to around 16 inches of manifold pressure the horn will sound.

Someone your size will fit fine in the back seat on short trips. 

I have a 2 inch cushion that I use to sit up a little higher. Very comfortable airplane. 

A great value for the performance.

C is a great first Mooney...

1) throttle out and gear up, causes horn on.

2) not a lot of room in the back seats for a long haul.  It is Firebird like back there.  Kids fit great. Adults, only if they already like aviation...

My opinion only...

Best regards,

-a-

David posted above, while I was still typing.  I must be the slow typer...

CFI,

I am serious. I have worn out three firebirds since '87, grew two children in the back of a ’95 firebird, but they got too big after a decade in the back of a C.  Teenagers...

Trips in the firebird were kept under an hour.  I moved all of my worldly goods in those vehicles....at that age, i didn't have much!

When finances allow, the Ovation is similar to a Tahoe.  Very comfortable....

If it fits in the firebird, it will fit in a C

If it fits in a Tahoe, it will fit in an Ovation (but only four seats).

Best regards,

-a-

Not sure if this helps, but the airplane will mainly be used for weekend trips/burger runs for my girlfriend and I. Very rarely would we travel further than adjacent states (I live in the midwest). I would be suprised if we flew any legs longer than 2hrs. I'm 5 9, 200lbs. She is 5 9 and would kill me if I told her weight but she is slender. 

On rare occasion, maybe a couple times a year, we would have to fly about 220mi to pickup my sister and her luggage. My girlfriend would sit up front on the way there and in the back on the way back. 

Like I said, the majority of the time it would be a two seater. I'd say, at the MOST, I would need to put 3 people in 6-10 times a year. 

The aircraft I've been looking at are all over the board: Cessna 170, Grummans, Piper Arrows, 182s. Just seems like the Mooney M20C has a "cool" factor going for it that the others dont. 

As for my experience, I'm a CFI/CFII with about 1100hrs. The closest aircraft I have experience in is about 50 hours in a 172RG and about 100-125hr in 182s. Other aircraft include 150s, 172s, Arrows, Seminole, Cessna 400, and some others.

What do you guys think?

Oh, and I do plan on seeing and flying one in person. Probably next week. Just trying to get some information in the mean time. 

I have a '67 M20C  and  range isn't a problem, given the 2 hrs that you have mentioned above. I am  low balling my range at 4 hrs of range but I probably have  really more like 5 hrs  or so, especially if  I lean the mixture back.  I am probably one of the slower C's out there but file for about 130  mph for cruise ( with mixture not leaned back). I recently had my ASI re-calibrated it was slow  in my cruise range. I haven't checked out yet.

I may be going on limb with my statement/opinion but I am sure that the other Mooney owners/pilots out there would probably agree with me, but as far  aircraft payload per horsepower  and if you add in a good cruise speed  not to mention the  fuel economy. Mooney really got one of best out there. My payload is roughly 600lbs plus ( I am low balling my  payload  it probably more like 630 lbs. or so )  and  has  pretty good weight / Moment  CG envelope.

My Dad was roughly 5'8"  sort of short legged I don't recall it the seat positioning being a problem for him. I am some where around 5'10" to 6'  fatty (about 195lbs plus and unfortunately I am not low balling my weight :-(   )  and not excessive long legs  but don't have to much problems with the seat positioning. I can get in the backseat and have been backseat not the most comfortable but do  able. I think there are Pedal extensions out there should you need them. Somebody  like LASAR ( Lake Areo  Style And Repair) and many others out there are very helpful and knowledgeable would know more.

Mooney's are slippery so you don't  want to point the nose at the runway if you want to slow down  for the approach.

My "magic number" or approach speed is about 80 mph on final.

Stating the  obvious: Too much speed you will float.

Hope this helps.

James

Don't rule out the M20E as a potential plane either.  Just about everything is the same except what is hanging on the nose.  The extra 20hp and Fuel Injection on the E versus a Carb engine on the C is nice to have. 

http://www.67m20e.com/m20e_info.htm

Best of luck in the hunt.  That was always my favorite part of buying a plane.

Brian

P.S. If you find any typo's please let me know.  I can't afford an editor... Tongue out

I've sat in the back of a M20C for a few 2 hour legs. At the time I was 180 lbs and 5'9". It was adequate. My wife has spent a lot of time in the back seat of a M20E and she didn't mind it at all. We had 2 couples on board - the guys up front and the gals in the back. I like to think of it as about as roomy as a VW Bug. By the way, I'll second the suggestion to take a look at an E model. All things being equal, the fuel injection is something worth having. However, I'd rather have a nice clean updated C model with a few performance mods as opposed to a tired straight E model. 

I have a "B" model (same as the "C") and have no problem with legroom. I'm 5' 10". I found the back seat actually has plenty of room if only one person is setting back there. With 4 people on board I have to adjust my seat (pilot seat) up one notch from where I normally have it adjusted. The Mooney is the smallest plane I have owned and the biggest thing I had to get used to was the smaller cabin width. If you have ever sat in one of the middle coach seats on the airlines. I think the Mooney has about the same room. Except the seats recline more in the Mooney.

It will be dependant upon the airplane, but my guess is a good portion come with them.  If not, it's not that expensive to have an intercom system put in and add the additional jacks in the back seats.

The older models should have a red light (unlocked)/green light indication (locked).  You can see the lights in this shot.

Brian

post-401-13468141172464_thumb.jpg

Quote: flight2000

It will be dependant upon the airplane, but my guess is a good portion come with them.  If not, it's not that expensive to have an intercom system put in and add the additional jacks in the back seats.

The older models should have a red light (unlocked)/green light indication (locked).  You can see the lights in this shot.

Brian

Regarding rear headseats, jacks were there in my M20C.  There are no physical constraints to have them, mine come from the top, and yes there is a green light and a red light in the panel to indicate the position of the landing gear. 

In my'67 M20C  I had added the micro/head phone jacks for the rear seat passengers  in the same location where the ash tray use to be. My manual gear it has both "gear unlock" and   "down lock" lights and horn. To intentionally land  a Mooney with gear up you really really  have to work at it (yes it can be done ) but you will have excess speed in the pattern it will be really  hard to slow down the Mooney with gear up.

Good luck your search.

James

If you are in the area or near me ( Nashville )I would be happy to "take you up " if you would like.  I have a B model, but you will get the idea. The wife & not so small dog and I travel to south Florida several times a year ( 700+ miles each way ) and don't get cramped at all. 

Thanks everyone for the info. I should've joined this forum a long time ago. :)

The more research I do, the more I think a M20C may work out great for me. One thing that sparked this is the fact there is a M20C partnership local to me. I was looking at buying but maybe a partnership would be a good way of getting into it. 

Quote: cfipilot80

Thanks fall for the info. I should've joined this forum a long time ago. :)

The more research I do, the more I think a M20C may work out great for me. One thing that sparked this is the fact there is a M20C partnership local to me. I was looking at buying but maybe a partnership would be a good way of getting into it.

Welcome! I'm a 5-year C owner, with lots of fun travel behind and ahead.

1. There is a gear buzzer that sounds in my '70 model if the throttle is reduced to 12" or less and the gear is up. There are two lights on the panel right by the switch--a red one when they are up, a green one when they are down. There is also a lighted mechanical indicator on the floor, red up and green down.

2. Adults find the back seat adequate for short trips. I've never carried four adults longer than ~1½ hours [four men, with only 34 gals of fuel due to gross weight]; they tolerated it to get to Kitty Hawk. Going for lunch or supper won't be a problem.

3. For visibility, I use an angled 2" cushion in my seat [which slides fore/aft but does not raise up]. My wife uses three standard chair cushions, but she's only 5'3". Most passengers use at least one for visibility.

She holds 52 gallons, and burns a very predictable 9 gph at altitude [6500-10,000 msl], giving me 5½ hours duration. My longest leg to date, thanks to nasty headwinds and groundspeeds hovering in the 110 knot range [bottoming out at 68 knots clearing the hills around Knoxville], was 4.4 hours and I put in 41 gallons.

You'll have a good time flying one! Traveling is great, although I typically run out of space before useful load when traveling with my wife. I measured the cargo door, then went to a Samsonite outlet with my tape measure, and she has the largest suitcase that will fit, as long as I feed it in at an angle until the top corner is inside. The cargo area, stacked near the roof, and the backseat stacked just above the seatback, will hold as much as the trunk of her Corolla [if we don't pack the car full]. It's a dependable 140-knot machine, and I can be in level flight, power set and leaned, trimmed out at 8000' within 15 minutes of engine start at my untowered home field [567' msl].