My first go around

FloridaMan

Quote: jlunseth

I looked at the video and had a hard time seeing why the go-around. Perspective in videos and photos is often difficult however. It did look like the aircraft was nose low, but I did not see much of a bounce, maybe it was just not very visible. It did not look to me as though there is any xwind at all unless rudder correction was put in before the video started, the nose was nearly directly down the runway.

In any event, what I did see on both landings was some lateral drift to the left, usually caused by failing to bank into the right crosswind, and correct for the bank with opposite rudder. Also need to keep the nose off at the end.

If you do bounce and there is plenty of runway left, as appears to be the case in the video, the landing can be saved by putting in a little bit of power as though doing a soft field landing, and pitching nose up a little. This will allow a pretty much normal landing, although a little further down the runway than originally intended. Not a good thing to try on a short runway.

Good call on the go around.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I did my first go around after the 2 bounces in Globe AZ, and was thrilled I had read 100 or so blogs on this subject!  I recognized from all your comments [last year] that 3 is too many, and saw and did the right thing....so for what it is worth this site is worth its weight in gold to me.

All comments on flying this thing are welcome as I experience and learn new stuff everytime I get in and go.

Go-arounds are always good to do. So said my CFI, after I did one between Landing #2 and Landing #3 on my initial solo. [she didn't believe me when I said it was just a photo pass!] I still do them from time to time. If something doesn't look good, go around and try again.

My earliest one was when a wind gust stood me almost vertical on short final, ~200 agl--rolled level, powered up and landed on the next try; my latest one, like Brian's, was on bounce #2 on a night landing--full power, climb over the trees I can't see, repeating my mantra:  make a normal landing, figure out what went wrong later, make a normal landing, figure out what went wrong later. For the curious, I quit flying in the flare, a very bad thing to do, especially at night on a short field with trees at the end . . . Second try was simple, and I thought it all through after I got home.

I've reviewed this one a few more times. I'm glad I videoed it and I intend to keep that GoPro running during my flights for this reason. The tendency in viewing the video is to focus on the cowling and runway. I watched it again focusing on the horizon. The plane yawed sharply to the right just before it bounced each time. You can see it if you focus on the end of the runway. 

The addition of power on short final wasn't needed at my glide, except that I was about to induce a lot of drag from putting in rudder to straighten up for a textbook sideslip approach and needed to keep my airspeed up. You really can't tell how windy it is, but you can clearly see the white caps on the water. I approached with full flaps, and I think a combination of running out of (or not using enough) rudder and experiencing the issues with full flaps and gusty crosswinds. The landing that I succeeded at I came in with less flaps and didn't have as much trim dialed in, which I believe caused me to use less backpressure in the flare than I really needed, resulting in me landing flat. I still maintain that the botched landing was not flat. 

I've also reviewed GPS data of my approach and go around. Both final approaches were around a mile with turns being made at standard-rate. 

I often make less-than-standard rate turns in the pattern. To keep from overbanking, I purposely don't press the PC disconnect thumb switch, increasing yoke force. Yet my pattern is still ~½ mile out from the runway. Must be because I fly downwind and base at 90 MPH instead of 100 Knots . . . Fly by the book for your machine, a C is not J, we only share a wing, empennage and landing gear.

I'll have to go somewhere to watch the original video. No access to youtube at work, no high speed available at home, and the video won't play on my phone.

Quote: Antares

The addition of power on short final wasn't needed at my glide, except that I was about to induce a lot of drag from putting in rudder to straighten up for a textbook sideslip approach and needed to keep my airspeed up. You really can't tell how windy it is, but you can clearly see the white caps on the water. I approached with full flaps, and I think a combination of running out of (or not using enough) rudder and experiencing the issues with full flaps and gusty crosswinds. The landing that I succeeded at I came in with less flaps and didn't have as much trim dialed in, which I believe caused me to use less backpressure in the flare than I really needed, resulting in me landing flat. I still maintain that the botched landing was not flat. 

I've also reviewed GPS data of my approach and go around. Both final approaches were around a mile with turns being made at standard-rate. 

Every landing I've made has been me crossing the threshold targeting 80 mph and am usually spot-on; no less than 75 and if I'm doing 85, I consider it way too fast. In regards to the power, it was a slip of words; I should have said "maintain my glide," which, really, is what I meant. I know, I know, "how do you say airspeed when you mean altitude?" Well, they're both there and they're something I needed to keep up. But yes, pitch for airspeed, power for altitude. I knew I'd sink right through the glide path as soon as I added rudder if I wasn't ready for it. 

Let's see it. I think a GoPro is a wonderful investment and a borderline necessity for us. Not to derail my own thread, but i didn't see this video posted anywhere on this site from the crash from inside the cockpit. Watching the propellor turn large pine trees into toothpicks was impressive.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=835_1344412426