Aspen Avionics

jackn

Quote: fantom

If you fly into Aspen, you really need an Aspen. winking smiley

I don't put much stock in anyone with a history of personal, preconceived, non Aspen opinions, using some unnamed source to confirm those beliefs. eye rolling smiley

That said, when my 102 gyro went TU, I rebuilt it for under a grand. The Aspen is quite sweet, however, as I'm sure your soon-to-be-wife is. Good luck!!! thumbs up

jackn-

I've had my Aspen EFD1000 Pro for about a year now and wouldn't be without it. The unit really concentrates your scan, and ow that I've flown behind it for a while, I find the information it displays easy to find and to read.

Mine has the SVT enabled, and it makes me feel a lot more confident flying in the mountainous terrain around Taos. The SVT can be displayed in three different manners, so it really doesn't add a sense of clutter; the display is bang on with regard to the terrain and is of very high quality.

You may want to look into flush-mounting the unit, something they couldn't do in my "J" because of depth problems behind the panel. It doesn't bother me being top mounted, however.

I really like my Aspen, it gives you more information than just a HSI. I did my IR with a Aspen, as it shows the wind and groundtrack approaches are IMHO much easier.

OTHOH it just died after the guarantee expired (switched itself off 2-3 times a flight and sometimes didn't restart), but I don't know how much they charge for the repair as I don't have it back yet.

I don't have an Aspen but traditional gyros. And yes you could have a gyro or pump failure. I already had both and found my way to cope with it. I found that the turn coordinator in combination with the VSI and altimeter are excellent instruments for back up in IFR conditions. Just don't over do the pitch with the elevator but use the trim. Practice IFR approaches with no gyros in the simulator and you will see that they are feasible.

But lets assume you loose vacuum and electrical power simultaneously. Well, I found that the Aera 560 (on batteries) can be used safely to control and land the plane even under IFR conditions. Due to its fast response (5Hz) the HSI/Panel screen responds almost as quick as the steam gauges. In fact the VSI response on the Aera is quicker than the pneumatic VSI. For this to work the Aera needs to be mounted on the yoke so you can cross correlate with the pneumatic gauges. Very useful if an IFR/GPS approach need to be performed. Try it you will be surprised how well it works.

José  

post-66-13468141148861_thumb.jpg

Quote: Piloto

I don't have an Aspen but traditional gyros. And yes you could have a gyro or pump failure. I already had both and found my way to cope with it. I found that the turn coordinator in combination with the VSI and altimeter are excellent instruments for back up in IFR conditions. Just don't over do the pitch with the elevator but use the trim. Practice IFR approaches with no gyros in the simulator and you will see that they are feasible.

But lets assume you loose vacuum and electrical power simultaneously. Well, I found that the Aera 560 (on batteries) can be used safely to control and land the plane even under IFR conditions. Due to its fast response (5Hz) the HSI/Panel screen responds almost as quick as the steam gauges. In fact the VSI response on the Aera is quicker than the pneumatic VSI. For this to work the Aera needs to be mounted on the yoke so you can cross correlate with the pneumatic gauges. Very useful if an IFR/GPS approach need to be performed. Try it you will be surprised how well it works.

José  

Quote: Piloto

José  

Quote: allsmiles

That's too bad. If I paid thousands and thousands I'd be mad as hell! Hope you didn't remove a KCS55A for a POS Aspen?! 

There are way too many stories like this just like there are way too many folks on here blinded by denial! But hey, it's their money not mine!

Magnus,

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, as I expect you'll get it fixed for no charge.  (As I did, when the same thing happened to me.)  Now it's been two years trouble-free.  Excellent unit, IMO. 

Dick

I installed the Aspen. 

Did I need it - NO.  Do I love it - Mostly.

GPSS is amazing.  My 430 and Aspen play well toghether.  Watching it fly a holding pattern is crazy. I flew a corpoarte King Air and it coudn't do any of the tricks that the Aspen could do. Having an air data computer is very useful.(That was on the King Air) Everything in one spot is nice.  Although after 3800 hours of flying I naturally scan the other instruments.  I can't get used to the altimeter for some reason.  Same goes for the VSI.  It just hasn't become natural to not scan the good old 6 pack.

My CFII beat in my head scan, scan, scan.  So what do I do now?  I scan the combined info in the Apsen and then scan the steam gauges.  Scanning 6 has turned into scanning 11.

After 100 hours with the Aspen I still stuggle in turbulence.  It reacts so fast - too fast.  I over control it.  

My friends say it makes a better pilot.  It didn't make me a better pilot.

Had some early glitches.  Aspen tech support was fantastic.

Is it perfect - no.  Would I do it again - yes.

Quote: TLSDriver

Although after 3800 hours of flying I naturally scan the other instruments.  I can't get used to the altimeter for some reason.  Same goes for the VSI.  It just hasn't become natural to not scan the good old 6 pack.

My CFII beat in my head scan, scan, scan.  So what do I do now?  I scan the combined info in the Apsen and then scan the steam gauges.  Scanning 6 has turned into scanning 11.

You can remove the tape displays for airspeed and altitude. There is also some xonfiguration that can be done as far as the VSI display (in the latest software) but I don't think the user can do it. 

You can also change the navigation display from an arc to a full circle and/or modify what information is shown. 

I think the key information in this thread is that every single Aspen owner who has commented recommends getting one (myself included). The only naysayers are those who do not own an Aspen. I don't know that I have ever read a single account from an Aspen customer where they regretted the purchase. 

Yes, the airspeed and altitude tapes can be turned on and off.

I find myself scanning the six pack gauges out of habit. The airspeed tape includes an airspeed bug. The pilot can set a target airspeed that is displayed numerically above the Airspeed tape and as a bug on the airspeed tape.

The airspeed tape displays color speed bands corresponding to the color arcs on the mechanical airspeed gauges.

Flap extension speed is indicated by a white triangle on the tape.

Additional markers can be set for Vx, Vy, Va, Vlo, Vle etc.

All visual references help the pilot maintain speed and alert him to deviations.  The numerical airspeed value is displayed in a rolling drum in the center of the airspeed tape. This numerical display will turn red when Vne is exceeded or when the airspeed drops below Vso.

All pretty nice safety features that you don't get with a mechanical airspeed gauge.

Quote: rob

I think the key information in this thread is that every single Aspen owner who has commented recommends getting one (myself included). The only naysayers are those who do not own an Aspen. I don't know that I have ever read a single account from an Aspen customer where they regretted the purchase. 

I've also got one, and second TLSDrivers view.  In an effor to get the scan onto the Aspen a bit more, I used some stick on instrument covers onto the ASI and Alt for a few hours, but I still find I'm doing take offs with the 6 pack, but gradually getting used to doing more directly from the Aspen.

I had (and am still having) a couple of issues getting it talking sweetly to my other kit (mainly in getting the air data out, but this is as much a Garmin as an Aspen issue), but so far (after 2 years) the unit has been fine - just watch out for the dependency on the pitot, as without this it becomes a useless black screen.

A criticism would be that it runs damn hot - the metal case is almost too hot to touch when in flight

Quote: JimR

Reminds me of the great bladder debate. Everyone who as 'em loves 'em and would do it again. Everyone else is skeptical. 

For what it is worth, I would love to have an Aspen installed, but I can't justify the expense.

Jim