fabric pattern for pushpull tube ratsocks6

Hi,

I have a niece that is studying fashion and just bought a sewing machine. She is itching to use it. It occurred  to me she could make me some rat socks as well as the tube boot on top of the nose gear well in the cockpit.

does anyone have a pattern for these that they could share. there was nothing left of them at the beginning of my restoration to copy.

Thanks

Glenn

Is there a preferred fabric? Something airproof to prevent carbon monoxide or are we just keeping dirt and mice out?

Thanks 

Glenn

On 7/20/2024 at 8:46 AM, Hradec said:
Is there a preferred fabric? Something airproof to prevent carbon monoxide or are we just keeping dirt and mice out?
Thanks 
Glenn

Do it in leather. I had Hector at Aero Comfort do a couple of them for me. 

1fbc54a915de17382a90468c668b3b7d.jpg

The yellow is what was on mine from new:

df6671cb42b1f07f20e8c2aaacd38b20.jpg

29bf4357a51ac29b27d1239a6e513c14.jpg

Since my airplane was at Mooney getting serviced in May 2022  they could have supplied me with the same as what they had used, the yellow material. but critters had made it through the original material.

Mooney had a testing apparatus where they tested materials and they found that leather held up much better than the original yellow material, so they said if you can find someone to do them in leather, that's the way to go. I called Hector at Aero Comfort, texted him the picture and two hours later picked them up. They are holding up great.
a655b291fe27bbd8b39bbcc32863854a.jpg

f4f3ac91133b320a54aa3bb1effdfe55.jpg

thank you, they look great. just a question do they attach on the gear well side or in board? have a pic with them installed?

thanks

Glenn 

I've sewn several things for my old airplane, and probably will for the Mooney in time.  I always got cheap fabric or something used, and rough sewed it, then could make tweaks and such to it, sometimes even with just a stapler in the hangar.  Then I could mark the seams and take it apart and I had a custom pattern just how I wanted.  

• Like 1

I’m also looking for materials for this. The original I removed was glue & fiber taped to the inside wall and tube. It was approximately 11” tall with a split small end like tails and twisted onto the tube then taped with same tape (originally used everywhere). It’s taped in such a manner that allows the small end to fold inside itself towards the gear well but not reach the rod pass through hole. 
 The material was impermeable, flexible and thin <(0.020”), coated type of canvas but would not burn . 
 I’m providing this information with hopes of someone knowing what material was used besides providing dimensional information for your project. 
 Thin & flexible seems to be desirable for non binding / bunching in that area along with low moisture retention.

Sorry, I get a little carried away trying to get close to original. Probably not necessary with all the other good ideas others are using.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2024 at 5:57 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

I guess nobody likes the Kevlar socks.

I received a pair of suggested Kevlar socks yesterday. They’re now my go to protection for reaching into cut/scratch prone areas but not really suitable for MLG rat socks because of high permeability and water retention. These are just my opinions and may work for others. At the moment I’m looking into seat upholstery used in fire trucks. Most automotive upholstery shops look at me cross eyed but the search goes on.

• Like 1