Window and door seals

Got the new seal installed today.   It's touching the frame all the way around as shown by the silicone that transferred from the door seal to the door frame when it was closed.   (In the picture it makes it look like the door frame is slightly wrinkled aluminum foil or something.

I probably got the silicone on too heavy on the bottom (See picture) but it'll wear off and I can smear it around in the meantime.   The luggage door could probably use a little more.

Attached are some pictures mid-install, including the profile of the two seal models.    The one on the right is (of course) the one I'm now using. 

Having the new seal dry-fit with tape was really helpful.  I could then hold most of the seal in place with tape while I applied the 3M adhesive.  I was even able to line up the impression in the foam from the rivets to make sure I wasn't compressing or stretching it.   Last time, I just let the entire rest of the seal dangle and doing this as a lone person made it really messy.

There is a spot in the top back of the door where it wants to fold the seal over on itself, but I was able to put a little adhesive on that area and stick it to the inside wall of the door.

Can't express how excited I am to hear how well this works.  I'm flying at about 6:30 tomorrow morning.

PXL_20240915_220126139.jpg

PXL_20240915_215900573.jpg

PXL_20240915_155413347.jpg

PXL_20240915_201043704.jpg

PXL_20240915_215856385.jpg

PXL_20240915_205046052.jpg

PXL_20240915_201046362.jpg

• Like 2

Went flying this morning.  There is still one place (forward top) that has a bunch of noise coming through.  I think when the cabin has negative pressure compared to the outside so it pulls the door open a little bit.

As the rest of the seal compresses over time this might go away.   In the meantime I'll probably work on getting the inner door seal to press up against the door too.  I might also try to tighten the top door latch a little.

Try opening the storm window and see if it allows the door to be pulled in a bit. Might be hard to tell if it’s any quieter because it’s noisy with the storm window open, but worth a shot to see if it makes a big difference. Also, how’s the adjustment on the latch pin at the top of the door frame? You can pull it in a bit by loosening the jam nut and giving it a turn. 

I did try opening the storm window, but as you predicted, I couldn't tell any difference because of the significantly increased sound.

My current plan is to leave the top door latch, but when I put the interior trim back on, put a thin (1/8" or smaller) shim behind the side of the door seal.  It won't be sealing against the 'outer' part of the door frame like everywhere else, but it should press up against the side of the door frame and seal that way.  And that is good enough for me!