Just got my “New to Me” J back home to KHQZ

IMG_5258.png.cd4fa696765d96be73f35649b6a410e1.pngJust got my J home.  I would love to connect with any local guys and share resources and advice. Mechanics, flying locals etc. , join and support the local Mooney community.

see y’all 

Randy (HQZ) Mesquite 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Just nosy. What are the ramp looking things on the floor?

Those look like transition pieces for an automotive-type four post lift. Sometimes needed for low riding sports cars. 

On 5/26/2024 at 9:33 AM, Rsmithref said:

IMG_5258.png.cd4fa696765d96be73f35649b6a410e1.pngJust got my J home.  I would love to connect with any local guys and share resources and advice. Mechanics, flying locals etc. , join and support the local Mooney community.

see y’all 

Randy (HQZ) Mesquite 

Congrats! Hope to see you around there!

-Don

On 5/27/2024 at 10:25 AM, DonMuncy said:

Just nosy. What are the ramp looking things on the floor?

On 5/27/2024 at 10:31 AM, BlueSky247 said:

Those look like transition pieces for an automotive-type four post lift. Sometimes needed for low riding sports cars. 

Judging by the slots in the bottom, they cover the tracks that the hangar door rides in for smoother push / pull into & out of the hangar.

• Like 3

Cool paint job. I was at Mesquite about a month ago. Flew my 77j non stop from the coast of GA in 25kt headwinds. 6.5 from start to shutdown, landed with 12 gallons of gas. Go Mooney!!

IMG_1138.png

• Like 1

Just now, 201Steve said:

Flew my 77j non stop from the coast of GA in 25kt headwinds. 6.5 from start to shutdown, landed with 12 gallons of gas. Go Mooney!!

Are there any other types that can come close to that?  Not that I'm aware of.

6 minutes ago, 201Steve said:

Cool paint job. I was at Mesquite about a month ago. Flew my 77j non stop from the coast of GA in 25kt headwinds. 6.5 from start to shutdown, landed with 12 gallons of gas. Go Mooney!!

IMG_1138.png

Nice - that is the difference 64 gallons make vs 52 for the C (assuming no LR tanks). Js are hard to beat…

-Don

1 minute ago, hammdo said:

Nice - that is the difference 64 gallons make vs 52 for the C (assuming no LR tanks)

And to think people actually sacrifice 64 for fuel bladders (50 something)!!!

If you got fuel leaks, and you’re fixing to pay for a full reseal all of a sudden the price difference is pretty small. But I wouldn’t just go adding that to get it if your tanks are solid.

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

54 for one bladder set. And 64 for the other. 64 is worth it 

You got your extra bladders installed?  If so mind me asking total cost - you can PM if you like.  May be an investment down the line….

9 minutes ago, good2eat said:

You got your extra bladders installed?  If so mind me asking total cost - you can PM if you like.  May be an investment down the line….

If you email Griggs, they’ll give you a quote for the bladders or the installed price.  I have the numbers but not handy.  I’m trying one more time to get my tanks sealed in Sep.  if it doesn’t work out, I’m going with bladders.  I seldom need 64 gallons.  I would consider the 50 gal set.  

• Like 1

If you email Griggs, they’ll give you a quote for the bladders or the installed price.  I have the numbers but not handy.  I’m trying one more time to get my tanks sealed in Sep.  if it doesn’t work out, I’m going with bladders.  I seldom need 64 gallons.  I would consider the 50 gal set.  

You may not need the extra 14 gallons, but future buyers will, expect you’ll need to devalue the price of plane when it comes time to sell.

8 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

You may not need the extra 14 gallons, but future buyers will, expect you’ll need to devalue the price of plane when it comes time to sell.

At this point in life, the value isn't that important.  Not a big difference between $100K and $75K.  The extra bladder set could be added later.  It's comforting to carry 64 gallons around but you're carrying around 64 gallons around.  There would be an advantage to being able to top off the tanks with only 50 gallons; there's also fewer parts involved and few bays impacted with the install.  I'll rarely if ever fly four hours again and certainly not five.  It's an interesting trade study.  

• Like 1

At this point in life, the value isn't that important.  Not a big difference between $100K and $75K.  The extra bladder set could be added later.  It's comforting to carry 64 gallons around but you're carrying around 64 gallons around.  There would be an advantage to being able to top off the tanks with only 50 gallons; there's also fewer parts involved and few bays impacted with the install.  I'll rarely if ever fly four hours again and certainly not five.  It's an interesting trade study.  

Nothing prevents you only filling to 50lbs with 64 gallon tanks, be easy to create a fuel stick calibrated to 25 gallons. My record was just over 50 gallons, so I understand what you’re saying. I just like the feeling of having lots of extra fuel, I rarely let my vehicles fuel tank down to the point where it warns of low fuel.

4 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Nothing prevents you only filling to 50lbs with 64 gallon tanks, be easy to create a fuel stick calibrated to 25 gallons. My record was just over 50 gallons, so I understand what you’re saying. I just like the feeling of having lots of extra fuel, I rarely let my vehicles fuel tank down to the point where it warns of low fuel.

Only the advice from so many to fill your tanks and not leave them down or empty for very long.  Doesn't seem to matter whether you have sealant or bladders; most folks want to see the tanks full.  I quit filling mine when the tanks started leaking; just makes it worse.  

• 1 month later...

No idea of current prices, but I had my tanks stripped and resealed in 2010; at the same time, a friend put 54-gallon bladders in his C. We were literally in different shops at the same time.

The bladders cost 30-35 lbs of payload, and an extra 54% at pickup. Plus the extra 12 lb of fuel.

How many people do you know who spend thousands of dollars to pick up 45lb of useful load? That's what bladders cost on every flight, plus the thousands of additional dollars to install.

Oh, yeah, at bladder install they put in a second set of fuel caps in each wing, too--better let the line guys know which one to fill through . . .

• 3 months later...