About to close on my first Mooney - Ovation - POH question

Provided the rest of the prebuy goes as planned, I should be closing on my first Mooney around the end of the month. It's a 1994 Ovation with the STC for the 310HP engine. I believe this is called a "Standing Ovation".

Anyhow, I'll be flying out when it closes and bringing it back (with a Mooney CFII) but want to get a jump on studying the POH. So - I see the STC paperwork with the power settings and a couple of performance chart enhancements for the engine upgrade, but the STC paperwork tells me to refer to the POH for all other performance data. SO, what POH should I use? I can't find a standard Ovation POH online but I can find an Ovation 2 POH. Is the Ovation 2 that much different or should I continue to search for an Ovation POH? Does anyone have an Ovation POH around the 1994 model year??

Any help would be massively appreciated. Can't wait to close!!!!!

It’s pretty much the same, the stc only provides a bump of 200rpm to obtain the extra hp.  I can’t remember if it’s prohibited from using in cruise, but I don’t know anyone who cruises at 2700 and it’s usually just used for take off, and the extra 30hours VERY noticeable. 
so aside from a higher fuel flow for the climb and takeoff, there isn’t any difference in the poh power settings. 
I personally don’t see a big noise enough reduction lower than 2500 to make it worth the speed loss for the lower rpm so I always used 2400-2500 for cruise. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NickG said:

Provided the rest of the prebuy goes as planned, I should be closing on my first Mooney around the end of the month. It's a 1994 Ovation with the STC for the 310HP engine. I believe this is called a "Standing Ovation".

Anyhow, I'll be flying out when it closes and bringing it back (with a Mooney CFII) but want to get a jump on studying the POH. So - I see the STC paperwork with the power settings and a couple of performance chart enhancements for the engine upgrade, but the STC paperwork tells me to refer to the POH for all other performance data. SO, what POH should I use? I can't find a standard Ovation POH online but I can find an Ovation 2 POH. Is the Ovation 2 that much different or should I continue to search for an Ovation POH? Does anyone have an Ovation POH around the 1994 model year??

Your sweet spot for flying the Ovation3 is full power (2700RPM) for takeoff, gradually leaning as you climb.  Climbing through 1000’, you’ll pull back to 2550RPM and keep it there the rest of the way in climb, cruise, and descent.  50-75LOP is your best bet to keep cylinders happy and healthy.

The 310HP STC is noticeable on the Ovation…on takeoff, in climb, and in cruise.  You’ll love the performance.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Your sweet spot for flying the Ovation3 is full power (2700RPM) for takeoff, gradually leaning as you climb.  Climbing through 1000’, you’ll pull back to 2550RPM and keep it there the rest of the way in climb, cruise, and descent.  50-75LOP is your best bet to keep cylinders happy and healthy.

The 310HP STC is noticeable on the Ovation…on takeoff, in climb, and in cruise.  You’ll love the performance.

Needless to say... I'm super excited and can't wait to get my hands on it!

• Like 1

There is also a FF discussion for max fuel flow setting allowed by the STC vs. preferred FF by owners of the cylinders…

some people prefer a higher FF than stated in the paperwork…. Something like 27.5gph vs. 30 gph…

See if you can find the discussion for that and any reference you can find… it may be in a Screamin’ Eagle discussion when the FF was first discussed…

POHs for the various models… the more recent POHs have additional details regarding G1000 and autopilot differences…

The Rocket engineering data from the STC is very complete… T/O and Climb has significant changes… cruise at 2550rpm as noted above…

Go Standing O!

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

This is how I fly my 310 O2 as well. 2550 is what I climb at, but I will dial it back to 2500 in cruise, although not required. I guess I like round numbers. WOT from takeoff to approach, unless cruising low and slow. If I am at low altitudes (below 6K’ so) I often use 2400 - it’s quieter and if I’m there  I’m usually on a short leg anyway. Plane loves 10-12K’.   Always LOP unless the headwinds are bad and I want/need to keep the GS up. Fuel consumption is _much_ higher in that case. 

Keep  in mind, with the 310 STC, the extra horsepower comes with the extra 200 RPM (2500 max vs 2700). Its real utility is at takeoff — and there is a huge difference there.  Below 2500 the data in the POH is the same in both configurations - 

On the Home page here, click the black "Browse" button, then Downloads. There's a whole section for POHs, on Page 3, I found this for you:

Happy reading, hope it all works out well for you!

13 hours ago, NickG said:

Especially with the 310hp upgrade make sure you have rudder trim set to full R on take-off - it will surprise you how much right rudder you need. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hank said:

On the Home page here, click the black "Browse" button, then Downloads. There's a whole section for POHs, on Page 3, I found this for you:

Happy reading, hope it all works out well for you!

Thanks!!!