What is the original shock panel angel/tilt in degrees?

Hi All,

Can anyone confirm the original shock-panel bend angle in degrees?

I have the original shot-gun panel in my 1966 M20E, and am considering a new 3 1/8 inch digital instrument to install on the bottom row.  The bottom row of this panel has a bend, such that instruments on that row are tilted upwards as opposed to the top row, where the original vacuum instruments are installed at what I assume is 90 degrees perpendicular to level flight.

I would like to know the angle of this lower panel section in degrees, as one of the instruments I am considering requires that tilt angle measurement when placing the order.  Other instrument choices require a calibration by the AP/IA at time of installation.

Anyway, my crude measurements and geometry come up with 15 degrees tilt.  Does anyone know definitively?

Another way to couch this would be to say "What is the angle of the original radio stack and co-pilot panel?" as they are on the same angle.

Thank-you!

Z

@Zippy_Bird I just went through this whole process for my 1965 C's shotgun panel which was 14 degrees. 

You can e-mail support@mooney.com and provide your s/n 1285 & N9353M and ask for the panel tilt angle(s). Mr. Crawford will more than likely include an attachment of 2 blueprint type drawings for your plane. I suspect it will be for 14 degrees as well.

The shop installing your instrument should know how to measure your panel tilt angle with the aircraft sitting on the ground. If not, they'll put it up on jacks to the aircraft's zero degree pitch AND roll angle and then measure the tilt angle for the lower portion of the panel. Your digital instrument should have a range of acceptable panel tilt angles. If for example the range is a maximum of 10 degrees and your lower panel being 14 degrees, then a 4 degree wedge will be placed between the back of the panel and the instrument bringing it into compliance. 

Hope this helps. I am not an avionics installer or A&P/IA. I elected to pull my entire left & right panel and install a custom panel set at 8 degrees. I had a new attitude indicator built to 8 degrees and put in a used turn coordinator that was calibrated to zero degrees and used an 8 degree wedge. Work should be complete in April.

Best of luck,

C.J.

• Like 1

Many years ago, when I still had the shotgun panel on my 63 C model, I had an electric attitude indicator installed as a back up.  I remember the mechanic saying they had to have it adjusted for the 14 degree tilt on the instrument panel.  So, I believe, at least on my aircraft, it was 14 degrees as well.

When I had to replace my AI on my E model in 2007, it was measured to be 8 degrees, but it was not the split panel that existed in others of the same vintage.  

Why not just measure it? It’s easy to do with an inclinometer (you can get a fancy digital one, a cheap mechanical one, or use your iPhone). Measure the panel angle on the ground and then subtract the airplane angle measured at the leveling points. Most Mooney’s sit about 5-6 deg nose up on the ground, so maybe that’s why some say 8 and some say 14.

The long bodies got the extra long nose gear that adds to the panel angle while parked on the ground…

The older Mooneys got the bend in the middle of the panel…

vertical above the line

tilted below the line…

The parts and service catalogs most likely have a reference of the tilt…

it is a common number for typical  instruments…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

+1 for the Mooney service reference given above…

Best regards,

-a-