Advancing age and insurance

Falcon Man

1 hour ago, MikeOH said:

Any feel for how much is due to ‘smooth?’

Hull is $3443

Liability is $663

$1,000,000/100,000 would have been $338 lower.

I think that shows you where the insurance company thinks their exposure is. Parker asked them if there was anything that would bring the rate down and the answer was, "Sorry, no The gear ups are killing us."

Skip

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeOH said:

Any feel for how much is due to ‘smooth?’

It doesn’t cost much more but there can be stipulations with smooth.  I asked about it this year and it was only a few hundred bucks but it required a yearly ipc in type.  Not a huge deal, but it’s there.

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2023 at 12:38 PM, Stan said:

I will be 75 in April, Commercial, Instrument with IPC, Current Biannual, 2064.3 total hours, 83.2 hrs last 12 months, around 90 hrs per yr, 398.4 time in type, 851.8 complex.

One accident:  04/25/09: total loss of N201JT Mooney valued at $79k, USAIG pd engine failure on takeoff.  I attached the write-up from MAPA Log Jan 2010.

1989 M20J (201), N1013U, 1436.5 TSMOH, 3030.1 ACTT, Insured for $125,000,

You have no idea what blessings have been heaped upon you.

• Like 1

This may be blasphemous but last month I paid $65k for my M20G.  I'm 67 now and the insurance cost for $65k hull and liability was $4900.  I paid it thinking if I was going to have an accident it would be in the first year. 

However,  I can afford a total loss of my plane and it is fully paid for.  Would it be so outrageous for me to drop my insurance after owning the plane for a year?  Then the "requirements" dictated by the insurance companies would be moot.

15 minutes ago, Jrags said:

This may be blasphemous but last month I paid $65k for my M20G.  I'm 67 now and the insurance cost for $65k hull and liability was $4900.  I paid it thinking if I was going to have an accident it would be in the first year. 

However,  I can afford a total loss of my plane and it is fully paid for.  Would it be so outrageous for me to drop my insurance after owning the plane for a year?  Then the "requirements" dictated by the insurance companies would be moot.

Even if you don’t carry coverage for your airframe, I would think you’d want liability coverage. It’s going to be a lot more than $65k if you taxi into a Gulfstream or whatever :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jrags said:

Maybe Hull, NEVER liability for the reasons listed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jrags said:

Lower pilot experience?  Rate should go down substantially with more pilot experience.

• Thanks 1

As far as i know, they all offer it except for only Avemco. But they all have additional requirements which may only be sufficient time in type. I’ve only seen annual IPC’s required for more than 1 mill smooth or for older pilots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 9:24 PM, ArtVandelay said:

Did your friend consider just liability insurance? I think it would be just a few hundred?

I did not ask.

I am not sure how much good it will be if there is truly a big event. I am afraid the 100,000 per person that mine has will not be near what will happen if a fault is determined.

On 12/12/2023 at 1:04 PM, kortopates said:

As far as i know, they all offer it except for only Avemco. But they all have additional requirements which may only be sufficient time in type. I’ve only seen annual IPC’s required for more than 1 mill smooth or for older pilots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 1000 hours in type and I’m only 54 and they still require me to have an IPC every 12 months.